Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/07/2016 9:04 am  #1

8/09/2016 4:29 am  #2

Re: Comes humility and maturity, he's got it!

Train:   "I’m not letting my man score on me, that’s for sure. That’s just a pride thing right there."

8/09/2016 5:20 am  #3

Must...see...it...in...games...

To believe it.

8/09/2016 12:10 pm  #4

Based on his blatantly apparent athleticism and reported work ethic (not referencing character this time either), I fully expect him to be one of the best on ball defenders on this team. Hopefully the rest will adopt this mentality.

8/09/2016 12:35 pm  #5

Duques102 wrote:

Based on his blatantly apparent athleticism and reported work ethic (not referencing character this time either), I fully expect him to be one of the best on ball defenders on this team. Hopefully the rest will adopt this mentality.

Been a long time since we've had an above average on ball defender at guard. Hope he lives up to his hype, which goes beyond our small Duquesne community. Really hoping that the increased length on the perimeter makes a big difference this year. We've always had the offensive talent to compete, but have been held back by our perimeter defense

8/09/2016 1:10 pm  #6

Wouldn't hurt to be a little tougher in the paint, either.

On offense, again, I'm from Missouri. Been waiting four years for something that doesn't look like aimless dribbling, ill-advised three point shots, and turnovers at the first sign of pressure.

8/09/2016 1:52 pm  #7

Like stated before I do think the added length will be a dramatic improvement on our 3 point defense. Also just seeing how the new guys carry themselves around campus and on social media -- they seem to have a certain "Swag" to them that has not been seen by others on this team before (Yes-- I too hate myself for using that word)

And when I say that I mean it turns into the pride in which Tarin Smith was referencing. Yeah--sure its fine to play with a calm/emotionless demeanor like the D.C's or Micah's...but I do think the Tarin's, Isiah Mike's, and Mike Lewis's will bring some emotion to our squad which hopefully will translate to a tougher mentality on defense.  

Roll Dukes Roll

8/10/2016 9:36 am  #8

You don't play for Hurley in High School without being a very good defensive player; he was coached well.  But I'm with ED, I want to see it in games. And if I don't see it, then I have to look once again at this coaching staff for not prioritizing defense.

8/11/2016 5:14 am  #9

If we agree for the second year in a row that the talent level is there to win, then this season is a referendum on whether Ferry can coach at this level. Still hard for me to believe that the loss of Jeremiah Jones was blamed by so many for last season's free fall tailspin during conference play. It hurt, but not as much as the inability to develop players who could fill in.

Need to have that Pittsburgh next man up mindset on the Bluff. Not the excuses.

8/11/2016 6:40 am  #10

ElDuque wrote:

If we agree for the second year in a row that the talent level is there to win, then this season is a referendum on whether Ferry can coach at this level. Still hard for me to believe that the loss of Jeremiah Jones was blamed by so many for last season's free fall tailspin during conference play. It hurt, but not as much as the inability to develop players who could fill in.

Need to have that Pittsburgh next man up mindset on the Bluff. Not the excuses.

I agree. This year should give us an idea of whether ferry has moved this program in the right direction or whether we need to start the breakup process

8/11/2016 9:09 am  #11

ElDuque I do agree the talent is there to win.  Jim Ferry is all out of Mulligans.  This team must move up in the A10.  For a 5th year coach, a losing record again in the League is unacceptable. No excuses.  

8/11/2016 9:28 am  #12

Same here -- this team is talented -- they just need the right coaching. We aren't full of seniors, but good god we have weapons. Jim Ferry must get the most outta his players. This should be a make or break year for him. I'm pumped.

Roll Dukes Roll

8/11/2016 11:46 am  #13

Ditto. If this team flops, there just are no more excuses!

8/11/2016 1:51 pm  #14

I agree.  I think Ferry is in over his head.   His tactics and strategies on player use and offenses and defenses are inadequate for the A10.  
I see, at best,  a .500 season probably a losing season.  Ferry simply doesn't know how to be creative with or adjust to his team's talent.

8/12/2016 5:51 pm  #15

ElDuque wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to be a little tougher in the paint, either.

On offense, again, I'm from Missouri. Been waiting four years for something that doesn't look like aimless dribbling, ill-advised three point shots, and turnovers at the first sign of pressure.

I believe it began with Courtney Wallace...

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

8/12/2016 9:28 pm  #16

currentstudent wrote:

Same here -- this team is talented -- they just need the right coaching. We aren't full of seniors, but good god we have weapons. Jim Ferry must get the most outta his players. This should be a make or break year for him. I'm pumped.

It's certainly good to hear that you guys are so optimistic about the talent level of the 2016-17 Dukes, so I guess you must feel that the coaches have done a good job in assembling this talent?
With that being said, however I would like to offer a bit of a cautionary note regarding your optimism.  There are more question marks than sure things.  In fact you could say that every starting position is a question mark in terms of expected performance.  Many of the players being counted upon to play important roles on the team have never played a game for Duquesne.  We would need to have a lot of these guys meet or exceed expectations to put together a winning season.

8/12/2016 9:37 pm  #17

levon1975 wrote:

currentstudent wrote:

It's certainly good to hear that you guys are so optimistic about the talent level of the 2016-17 Dukes, so I guess you must feel that the coaches have done a good job in assembling this talent?
With that being said, however I would like to offer a bit of a cautionary note regarding your optimism. There are more question marks than sure things. In fact you could say that every starting position is a question mark in terms of expected performance. Many of the players being counted upon to play important roles on the team have never played a game for Duquesne. We would need to have a lot of these guys meet or exceed expectations to put together a winning season.

That's why it's really impossible to know how good this team will be. There are lots of question marks at every position, but what you also don't have are a bunch of guys who you absolutely know can't play. That's why nothing from 12 wins, to twice that many, wouldn't really shock me.

8/13/2016 8:57 am  #18

Levon, in my opinion Ferry and staff have done a decent job in assembling talent.  The problem is that he has not done a good job in developing, teaching or motivating these players.  More importantly he has failed to retain key players.  This team would look different if Powell and Gill returned, and if Ferry had developed guards behind Colter and Mason. Still, as duq81 has stated there is proven as well as potential talent on this team and it is up to Ferry to finally prove that he can do the job he is being paid for.  I expect a winning season and a winning record in the A-10 for a 5th year coach.  A losing season and a near bottom finish in the A-10 and Ferry needs to go.

8/13/2016 9:15 am  #19

levon1975 wrote:

currentstudent wrote:

With that being said, however I would like to offer a bit of a cautionary note regarding your optimism.  There are more question marks than sure things.  In fact you could say that every starting position is a question mark in terms of expected performance.  Many of the players being counted upon to play important roles on the team have never played a game for Duquesne.  We would need to have a lot of these guys meet or exceed expectations to put together a winning season.

That's what I've been saying all along.

And it's why some of us lack optimism, because Ferry hasn't shown he can get it done on the court.

If we look like five guys "trying to get theirs," then we're in deep (rhymes with Pitt). If we see some semblance of offense and defense, if we see guys develop into roles, if we see rhythm and hustle, then I could live with a slow start and better play as conference games begin, the ultimate being that we enter the A10 tournament as the team no one wants to play (especially in our back yard). But if we beat a lesser non con schedule with an ugly stick and then swoon in January and February, I think it will be a sign that Ferry's in over his head. We've invested $3M in this guy and we're starting to look the the Mets owners who lost their heinies in a Ponzi scheme.

8/13/2016 3:18 pm  #20

Please don't get mad at me, but wasn't the Duquesne firing excuse for Ron that their was consent turnover? Now we have some new coaches and transfers and grad players to try and regroup. But Ferry hasn't won 100 games and gone to the conference finals and NIT.

I am always excited when a new season is on the horizon, however once promising prospects and solid players have left early and it seems we are all wondering what can we expect.

5 years for success is a long time in any business, in the coaching business it is a lifetime........

A diehard fan since 1961

8/13/2016 9:04 pm  #21

With the length of his contract, he's here for the long haul.

8/13/2016 10:31 pm  #22

ElDuque wrote:

With the length of his contract, he's here for the long haul.

I think he has 2 years left after this, which since only fools let a coach go into his last year, means he will have to earn an extension, or be fired (or hired away) by the end of the 2017-18 season. I think a disastrous season (single figure wins) could even get him fired after this year, so I don't think he's as entrenched as some fear.

8/14/2016 10:41 am  #23

I like the optimism.  With that said, we can see the same comments every off season over the last five years.  That is why I haven't said anything yet...let's see what really happens.

8/14/2016 1:06 pm  #24

CLK wrote:

Levon, in my opinion Ferry and staff have done a decent job in assembling talent.  The problem is that he has not done a good job in developing, teaching or motivating these players.  More importantly he has failed to retain key players.  This team would look different if Powell and Gill returned, and if Ferry had developed guards behind Colter and Mason. Still, as duq81 has stated there is proven as well as potential talent on this team and it is up to Ferry to finally prove that he can do the job he is being paid for.  I expect a winning season and a winning record in the A-10 for a 5th year coach.  A losing season and a near bottom finish in the A-10 and Ferry needs to go.

You hit the nail on the head CLK. Jones went down relatively early (the Bobby Mo game) but no one was prepared to slide into his role. It was try him, then try him, the try him.Also, as I said before the season began, you can't have your two top scorers play 38+ minutes every game. They wear down. Powell never developed the way that he should have but he seemed to be a head case in any event. We should be able to tell in the OOC games if the incoming talent will be wasted or if coach can pull it all together.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

8/14/2016 1:14 pm  #25

Most of you saw the sf situation differently than I did.  What I saw was James get off to a big start, then fall off when confronted with A-10 defenders.  Believe it's likely that JJ's performance would not have stayed at the level of his non-con play either.

Board footera