Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2016 9:33 pm  #1

Anybody else see this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/767083108202057728

Perhaps a culture slowly starting to change? This NEVER happened when I was there, which wasn't long ago.

My time spanned from 2010 with the white hot conference start season and tjs freshman year to 2014 to be exact.

Last edited by Duques102 (8/24/2016 8:26 am)

8/24/2016 3:02 am  #2

Re: Anybody else see this?

Not since Mossie Murphy.

8/24/2016 7:17 am  #3

Most Freshman come in ready to immerse themselves in the whole college experience, the trick will be not turning them off by second semester.

8/24/2016 8:41 am  #4

MikeR wrote:

Most Freshman come in ready to immerse themselves in the whole college experience, the trick will be not turning them off by second semester.

They had pep rallies in the past with very very poor attendance results from students. For a few of the years I was there they even tried to do a midnight madness type thing with a scrimmage and maybe a dunk contest and no one showed up, they stopped doing it.

This is different, although I do get where your coming from in regards to orientation week and what not. They always had this type of thing. They NEVER had anything close to this level of attendance.

That's why I'm encouraged by it, I remember these events taking place in the past with nothing near this level of response.

Last edited by Duques102 (8/24/2016 8:42 am)

8/24/2016 8:48 am  #5

Not to be cynical but was free food and beverage part of the rally?

If not, then the pep rally was a good sign, a positive start in terms of attendance.
Now the team has to win.

8/24/2016 9:14 am  #6

Econ69 wrote:

Not to be cynical but was free food and beverage part of the rally?

If not, then the pep rally was a good sign, a positive start in terms of attendance.
Now the team has to win.

I know for a fact the past events that were very similar offered free food, drinks, and other chachkies to students in attendance. They have been doing that on game days even since I was a freshman (all the way up to last year and I know because I still use my student id to get into the student hospitality area  (wink)).

I've seen first hand for years now these small type of incentives have no real affect on student attendance. Trust me, this type of showing is a pretty big deal. From what I've seen these newer guys do a much better job promoting the Duquesne brand on their social media accounts than guys in the past and also seem to show more pride and excitement towards being a DU student athlete. The players helped freshman move into the dorms this year and the coaching staff helped as well. I see a significant progression in the attempts to integrate the student body and the basketball program and build a relationship especially since Harper's hire. I think he gets it and it may be starting to pay dividends.

Coming from the perspective of someone two years removed from being a student and still seeing the campus from my bedroom window.

8/24/2016 10:35 am  #7

This is great to see.  The culture will change if they win - NIT/NCAA and not an OOC of Division II & III teams which are poor.  I am going to put a comment here because I do NOT want to start a new thread on this - We all want them to get to a tournament...but I did get a call from the Athletic Office today inquiring about my 2 season tix which I am not renewing.  (These tix also included a donation to the athletic department).  I nicely said that I am not renewing because this coach has not had a winning record in five years and the only reason last year was .500 was because of the OOC schedule.  I said when they get to the NCAA or the NIT I will renew.  He said if anything changes, let him know.  I didn't want to kill the messenger but I wanted to say when they get to a tournament...or even have a winning record without so many cupcakes than that will be the change.  Anyhow, I WANT them to win, am still an avid fan, but if DU doesn't care enough to hire the right guy, then I'm not buyin!  Hopefully this is the year!!!

Last edited by FAM (8/24/2016 10:37 am)

8/24/2016 1:28 pm  #8

I didn't mean to come off sounding negative about this. The photo made me smile broadly. I just want be sure we latch on to this crowd and they to Duquesne for the rest of their lives.

Board footera