Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2016 6:08 pm  #1

New I-Mike workout video

This kid has worked hard on his game. I believe he will make a big impact as a freshman (if Ferry uses him properly).

8/24/2016 6:41 pm  #2

Re: New I-Mike workout video

Ferry has already said Mike will play the 4--just like Soko. He likes to run his offense off the guy playing the 4--just has never had a quality 4 available with complimentary talent for one reason or another--talent not there, not recruited, etc.  Now he has one with complimentary talent.  Soko didn't!  Neither did McKoy!! The posters with the insert "no more excuses" should now find out if Ferry can coach to their standards.  

Last edited by grammudder (8/24/2016 6:43 pm)

8/24/2016 7:46 pm  #3

grammudder wrote:

Ferry has already said Mike will play the 4--just like Soko. He likes to run his offense off the guy playing the 4--just has never had a quality 4 available with complimentary talent for one reason or another--talent not there, not recruited, etc.  Now he has one with complimentary talent.  Soko didn't!  Neither did McKoy!! The posters with the insert "no more excuses" should now find out if Ferry can coach to their standards.  

Many posters have questioned Ferry's use of his players.  For example we saw Ferry play Powell at the 5 while Robinson sat on the bench.  What I meant about using Mide properly is that Mike in my opinion would be a match up problem at the 3 with his ability to drive, shoot and pass, While giving us a bigger line up with Sanders or Abrahamson at the 4.  Not saying he can't play the 4, but to play him exclusively as a 4 is a mistake in my opinion.  Now, I don't mind talking basketball, but not going to go personal with you.

Last edited by CLK (8/24/2016 8:25 pm)

8/24/2016 8:23 pm  #4

CLK wrote:

grammudder wrote:

We saw Ferry play Powell at the 5 while Robinson sat on the bench.  Mike in my opinion would be a match up problem at the 3 with his ability to drive, shoot and pass, While giving us a bigger line up with Sanders or Abrahamson at the 4.  Not saying he can't play the 4 but to play him exclusively as a 4 is a mistake in my opinion.  Now, I don't mind talking basketball, but not sure why you are going personal. 

My guess is that Ferry will play Abrahamson at the 3 because of his outside shooting. I'm expecting a rotation of Lewis and Robinson at the 5, Sanders and Mike at the 4, and Abrahamson and James at the 3. On the surface, it looks to be a nice bit of depth. There is always the chance that he'll go small at the 3 if Castro, Blackman, and Steel play better than the big guys at the 3. A big question will be who will back up Smith. We don't want him playing 35 minutes a game.

8/24/2016 8:29 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

grammudder wrote:

We saw Ferry play Powell at the 5 while Robinson sat on the bench.  Mike in my opinion would be a match up problem at the 3 with his ability to drive, shoot and pass, While giving us a bigger line up with Sanders or Abrahamson at the 4.  Not saying he can't play the 4 but to play him exclusively as a 4 is a mistake in my opinion.  Now, I don't mind talking basketball, but not sure why you are going personal. 

My guess is that Ferry will play Abrahamson at the 3 because of his outside shooting.

He probably will, but again I will say that playing Mike exclusively at the 4 would be a mistake.  

8/24/2016 9:04 pm  #6

I would play Mike at the three all day. People act like kale can shoot and Mike can't, they both can. They are the same size. Mike is more athletic and from what I have seen, can be more of a playmaker. The guy playing four can still take mid range and outside shots in the right situation. Mike/James 3. Abrahamson/sanders/Robinson 4 Robinson/Lewis 5

Last edited by Duques102 (8/24/2016 9:06 pm)

8/24/2016 9:07 pm  #7

Smith/Lewis 2/Castro  1 Blackmon/Steele Littleson 2. Like it

Last edited by Duques102 (8/24/2016 9:08 pm)

8/24/2016 11:25 pm  #8

Duques102 wrote:

Smith/Lewis 2/Castro 1 Blackmon/Steele Littleson 2. Like it

I can't see Castro at the point, but we'll see.

8/25/2016 5:17 am  #9

Where he plays will work out in long run, always does, once he earns his stripes. Hay salvador aqui.  Ferry rep is doing the right thing.  Rest is chatter.

8/25/2016 6:03 am  #10

The Wise-Potato-Chip-Owl-Looking old man at Temple (Coach Chaney) was successful for years by pairing 6-7/6-8 athletic forwards with one big bruiser in the middle. Can see Mike and Sanders on either side of Lewis or Robinson making for a rugged front court at times. Would not kill me to see Abrahamson bumped to a sixth man role where his outside shooting off the bench creates some front court fatigue for opponents.

James could swing between the 3/2 spots, sharing time with the three forwards and Blackman and Castro.

Yes Grammy, Ferry has something to prove. He's had his own players for four years, he had a backcourt play together for 3 years, and the only thing that's saved him is playing a cream puff schedule. I'm unimpressed with the body of work so far, and I want to see it get better before the end of his $3M+ contract. That's not hating, my friend. I'm hanging on by my fingernails here and frankly if the WBB team was not doing what it's doing last year would have been my last.

Board footera