Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2016 9:44 am  #2

Re: A new Duke.

Interesting background, this 2 sport was more common in the pre-70 years, Pitt All America Mike Ditka played power forward for Pitt Basketball team , saw a box score card at the Collisium in Morgantown at a WVU-Duquesne game. Mike's line was something like 6 points, 9 rebounds, 5 personal fouls!

Farrell great and Pitt Center Brian " The General" Generalolvich played in his 5 th year for Pitts football team, at 6-4 and around 240 he was a big one in that era.

Good for this young man, wish him well and another A-10 sized guard is always welcomed on this team.

A diehard fan since 1961

8/29/2016 10:57 am  #3

One of the best examples would be Charlie Ward, who won the Heisman playing qb for Florida St. He played on the hoop team as well, and then played a decade in the NBA. Tony Gonzalez was a key player on some good Cal hoop teams before having a Hall of Fame career in the NFL, and Antonio Gates was a star basketball player in college as well. Sam Clancy practiced with the Pitt football team one spring, but never played. He spent a decade playing pro football.

8/29/2016 12:24 pm  #4

duq81, am I mistaken or did Matt Cavanaugh and/or Rooster Jones play some hoops at Pitt? I remember seeing those guys in pickup games at the old gym, with Nixon, Larry Harris and others.

8/29/2016 12:25 pm  #5

PS, sounds like a great kid in addition to being a good athlete. Wish him FOUR years of health and success in both sports.

8/29/2016 1:10 pm  #6

John Blanton played both football and basketball at Pitt.

8/29/2016 3:46 pm  #7

duq81 wrote:

One of the best examples would be Charlie Ward, who won the Heisman playing qb for Florida St. He played on the hoop team as well, and then played a decade in the NBA. Tony Gonzalez was a key player on some good Cal hoop teams before having a Hall of Fame career in the NFL, and Antonio Gates was a star basketball player in college as well. Sam Clancy practiced with the Pitt football team one spring, but never played. He spent a decade playing pro football.

Who could forget when Bobby Sura, Charlie Ward and a host of great players from Fl State came to Palumbo and they were up by 18 at the half, but John Carrol's Duke's came roaring back to a sold out crowd on a Saturdy afternoon and upset the then 10 TH Ranked Seminoles for a great victory!

A diehard fan since 1961

8/29/2016 4:09 pm  #8

Phildog wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Who could forget when Bobby Sura, Charlie Ward and a host of great players from Fl State came to Palumbo and they were up by 18 at the half, but John Carrol's Duke's came roaring back to a sold out crowd on a Saturdy afternoon and upset the then 10 TH Ranked Seminoles for a great victory!

I never saw this article on the Dukes recruitment of Bobby Sura by Assistant Coach Joe DeSantis.  http://articles.courant.com/2000-11-09/sports/0011092085_1_joe-desantis-abcd-dorm

Stat Sheet from Game:  http://nolefan.org/ref/b1992_12_15_sid.pdf

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (8/29/2016 4:11 pm)

8/29/2016 4:27 pm  #9

Phildog wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Charlie Ward was on that team, but he wasn't there that day. That was during football season, and Ward was at FSU to play football, not basketball. He wouldn't have joined the team until football season was over. Sam Cassell was on that team. He wasn't the star, but he turned out to be a far superior player to Sura in the long run.

8/29/2016 7:23 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

duq81, am I mistaken or did Matt Cavanaugh and/or Rooster Jones play some hoops at Pitt? I remember seeing those guys in pickup games at the old gym, with Nixon, Larry Harris and others.

Joe Kane and Danny Yaniello got to play in some of those games.

8/29/2016 8:57 pm  #11

ElDuque wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Joe Kane and Danny Yaniello got to play in some of those games.

I see Joe about once a year.

8/30/2016 7:32 am  #12

I met Joe DeSantis at a Brewsters in a Shopping Plaza up on the Wexford Flats in the North Hills in the summertime while he was standing in line with his wife and kids, he was a nice guy. He seemed started when I told him I was a Duquesne fan and remembered when he lit it up on us one night long ago when he was in college. I think he played a Fairfield but am too lazy to look it up, I recall we won but Ray Goss was impressed with Joe as a scorer.

On Sura , Donnie ( Gumby) Gambridge told me Duquesne was in the running for Sura until FOrida State offered, then it was lights out for us.

Many thought JC could have done more here, but he always went after the big name players, sometimes to his own peril, re: Danny Forston............

A diehard fan since 1961

8/30/2016 8:24 am  #13

Phildog wrote:

I met Joe DeSantis at a Brewsters in a Shopping Plaza up on the Wexford Flats in the North Hills in the summertime while he was standing in line with his wife and kids, he was a nice guy. He seemed started when I told him I was a Duquesne fan and remembered when he lit it up on us one night long ago when he was in college. I think he played a Fairfield but am too lazy to look it up, I recall we won but Ray Goss was impressed with Joe as a scorer.

On Sura , Donnie ( Gumby) Gambridge told me Duquesne was in the running for Sura until FOrida State offered, then it was lights out for us.

Many thought JC could have done more here, but he always went after the big name players, sometimes to his own peril, re: Danny Forston............

I didn't think JC was a great Xs and Os guy. I think Jim Satalin, who was a good Xs and Os guy, but a poor recruiter, would have won more games with Carroll's roster. Of course, BC damaged his chances with the stupid move to the Mediocre Cornbelt Conference.

Board footera