Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2016 12:23 pm  #1

Jamari Wheeler commits

It was on Twitter.  He committed over the weekend.  Nice get.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

9/10/2016 12:48 pm  #2

Re: Jamari Wheeler commits

Simms wrote:

It was on Twitter.  He committed over the weekend.  Nice get.

Boom! That's huge. Good get for the staff. Another talented point guard in the mix

9/10/2016 1:16 pm  #3

A nice true PG pick up for the Dukes.  Now Ferry needs to reel in Jason Strong (PF), Darius Banks (SG) who visits next weekend, and Tshiefu Ngalakulondi who visited.

9/10/2016 1:23 pm  #4

Does anyone have a link looked everywhere and can't find anything about him committing?

9/10/2016 1:46 pm  #5

Duques102 wrote:

Does anyone have a link looked everywhere and can't find anything about him committing?

Uh oh. Corey Evans, one of recruiting site people, had it up and appears to have deleted. Could be a false alarm

9/10/2016 3:50 pm  #6

If that is true, sorry.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

9/10/2016 3:55 pm  #7

Simms wrote:

If that is true, sorry.  

Not your fault. Brian Batko tweeted it too.

9/10/2016 6:53 pm  #8

Coaches can't comment until they sign, so we may not know for a while.

But here's hoping!

9/11/2016 12:53 pm  #9

He committed to DU.  It is on Twitter now.

9/11/2016 1:06 pm  #10

9/11/2016 1:23 pm  #11

Some video on Jamari from his freshman year..

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3665463/5721b7dbdfe23b2d68926c7f

9/11/2016 7:09 pm  #12

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2016/09/11/wheeler-commits-duquesne/

"I'm a player that loves to get to the rim, I love to play defense." 

I'm sure that's music to many ears on this board.

9/11/2016 8:09 pm  #13

We have four scholarships to give, no? Three seniors plus Jackson?

9/11/2016 8:20 pm  #14

Oh Great, another puny guard who will get swallowed up in the A-10. Bet he's barely at 6-0

9/11/2016 9:50 pm  #15

rittersdiner wrote:

Oh Great, another puny guard who will get swallowed up in the A-10. Bet he's barely at 6-0

You don't know your ass from third base and you rip a kid who you have never seen play and yet to wear a DU uniform. This recruit bashing has to stop.   

9/11/2016 10:00 pm  #16

CLK, thanks for the video link. It looks as if this young man has a high basketball IQ and has really good court awareness. Nice to see a video that doesn't focus on dunks and 3 pointers, but highlights decision making, positioning and quickness. Congrats to Jamari and kudos to the coaching staff.

^^^
And your response above was spot on.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (9/11/2016 10:01 pm)

9/12/2016 12:33 am  #17

Another 6'-1" 160lb whom In Philly they called "The Answer".   Welcome aboard Mr Wheeler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x67RQKknl-g

9/12/2016 4:19 am  #18

It's ok. I remember how TJ McConnell was trashed when he was given a scholarship as a young, small and skinny sophomore.

He's in the NBA now and we rue his transfer.

9/12/2016 7:04 am  #19

ElDuque wrote:

It's ok. I remember how TJ McConnell was trashed when he was given a scholarship as a young, small and skinny sophomore.

He's in the NBA now and we rue his transfer.

There was a running debate on the Pitt board about TJ. One side held the view that because he was local, and at Duquesne, he couldn't be more than just a decent player. The other side felt that he was better than their James Robinson, and that he could easily play in the BE. The later group was really rubbing it in last fall after TJ made the Sixers.

9/12/2016 7:43 am  #20

CLK wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

You don't know your ass from third base and you rip a kid who you have never seen play and yet to wear a DU uniform. This recruit bashing has to stop.   

I watched Colter suffer because of his size and bad decision making. He made some plays but all point guards do. In basketball, matchups mean everything and shorter guards struggle at this level. So far as DU coach goes, Ferry does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

9/12/2016 7:48 am  #21

rittersdiner wrote:

CLK wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

I watched Colter suffer because of his size and bad decision making. He made some plays but all point guards do. In basketball, matchups mean everything and shorter guards struggle at this level. So far as DU coach goes, Ferry does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

6'1" is hardly a smurf. This board can be frustrating sometimes. We hear lots of complaints that we only get 2-star recruits. When we get a 3-star, now there's something else to complain about. The major concern with short guards is defense, but from what I read about this kids, defense is a major strength of his.

9/12/2016 7:52 am  #22

Dukes2012 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

CLK wrote:

6'1" is hardly a smurf. This board can be frustrating sometimes. We hear lots of complaints that we only get 2-star recruits. When we get a 3-star, now there's something else to complain about. The major concern with short guards is defense, but from what I read about this kids, defense is a major strength of his.

Big difference between 5'9", and 6'1". Isn't TJ 6'1"?

9/12/2016 8:23 am  #23

Yeah a 6'1 Point Guard...sounds pretty normal to me. Plus we have the added benefit of him being a 3-star.

Also can't find much video on this kid....anyone find anything worth looking at? 

Roll Dukes Roll

9/12/2016 9:04 am  #24

currentstudent wrote:

Yeah a 6'1 Point Guard...sounds pretty normal to me. Plus we have the added benefit of him being a 3-star.

Also can't find much video on this kid....anyone find anything worth looking at? 

The link on his Twitter page is a decent highlight. It's only from a single game but it shows him passing and playing defense, in addition to shooting and getting to the rim. Appears to have good speed and quickness too.

9/12/2016 9:14 am  #25

currentstudent wrote:

Check out the video in post #11 of this thread.

Board footera