Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/12/2016 9:25 am  #26

Re: Jamari Wheeler commits

Nice job coaches - getting a 3 star recruit!!!!

9/12/2016 9:27 am  #27

ElDuque wrote:

We have four scholarships to give, no? Three seniors plus Jackson?

Yes, three more to give.  Thursday Darius Banks a 4 star recruit is scheduled to be on official visit to DU. He is another Florida recruit and would make a great future back court tandem with Wheeler.  Jason Strong, who visited DU over the weekend, went directly to an official visit to Bucknell on Sunday.  Not sure how the two schools split the airfare (said in jest). These three kids plus Tshiefu Ngalakulondi (if we can land these guys) would be a very solid recruiting class.

9/12/2016 9:47 am  #28

CLK wrote:

Jason Strong, who visited DU over the weekend, went directly to an official visit to Bucknell on Sunday.  Not sure how the two schools split the airfare (said in jest).

He might have taken Bucknell's football team's bus back to their campus on Saturday night.

9/12/2016 10:10 am  #29

rittersdiner wrote:

CLK wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Oh Great, another puny guard who will get swallowed up in the A-10. Bet he's barely at 6-0

You don't know your ass from third base and you rip a kid who you have never seen play and yet to wear a DU uniform. This recruit bashing has to stop.   

I watched Colter suffer because of his size and bad decision making. He made some plays but all point guards do. In basketball, matchups mean everything and shorter guards struggle at this level. So far as DU coach goes, Ferry does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

Don't be thick ritters, do some research. A 6"1 consensus three star point guard recruit (from services like ESPN and rivals) is a huge get. ESPN has him ranked as the 54th best pg in the nation, that's power 5 level talent. This kid has 4 inches on colter. What do you want? A six seven point guard? Watching a few highlights you can see the kid is very long and athletic and puts a high level of importance on defense. I personally think this is the perfect type of point guard for the run and gun offense ferry likes to play, especially with his adeptness at getting to the rim.

ESPN had Tarin smith as a two star ranked as the 64th best pg in the nation, to put things in perspective. This is one of the higher level recruits that Duquesne has brought in naturally (without transferring in) in YEARS. I can't take people seriously that make completely uneducated negative statements like this, will probably breeze over your posts in the future.

9/12/2016 11:00 am  #30

The greatest player Kareem Abdul Jabbar ever played against was Earl " The Goat " Manigualt who was 6-1 in his best day, yes the guy who dunked on Wilt in the Rucker League.

I am with CLK, quit bashing our recruits....

A diehard fan since 1961

9/12/2016 1:24 pm  #31

Looks like a nice get and that's just seeing his freshman reel. When I saw it was his freshman highlights I at first thought he must be a juco. Didn't remind me of a ninth grader. Watched T.J. as a freshman he was about 5'4 100 lbs. and threw it up from the hip.

9/12/2016 2:08 pm  #32

Here's a nice video showing Jamari (#5 black) with his ability to defend, pass and shoot).
https://youtu.be/mHau2fjQWGE

9/12/2016 9:49 pm  #33

Kareem's PG at Power Memorial was ... Danny Nee. Nee was good enough to be one of Al McGuire's first recruits at Marquette.

Speaking of the Goat, I'd bet that literally hundreds of kids who grew up playing ball in NY who never had the opportunity to go to college would have been great D1 or NBA players.

9/13/2016 5:54 am  #34

ElDuque wrote:

Kareem's PG at Power Memorial was ... Danny Nee. Nee was good enough to be one of Al McGuire's first recruits at Marquette.

Speaking of the Goat, I'd bet that literally hundreds of kids who grew up playing ball in NY who never had the opportunity to go to college would have been great D1 or NBA players.

Every city has a story of a playground, or schoolboy legend who was derailed by drugs, or some sort of bad behavior.

9/13/2016 7:45 am  #35

Spent a summer touring courts in Essex County NJ for an article in a newspaper magazine about local hoop legends. Saw the courts where guys like Greg Tynes, Mike Dabney, Mike Booker, Abdel Anderson and the Tripucka brothers cut their teeth. Heard all kinds of amazing stories, guys who could dribble three balls at a time, guys who could dunk on the way down, guys who could grab rebounds and hit jumpers from the other end of the court. Saw kids who looked like they were 10-12 make fools out of teenagers and twenty somethings. Saw graybeards who could run the court, hold their own defensively, pass like masters, and never seemed to miss when they got to shoot.

I'll say this too: those days, guys prided themselves on defense. Largely because a steal led to a full court layup or dunk. And despite some rugged contact, no one called a foul -- unless they missed.

Wish I'd kept that story. I had some great pictures with it.

9/13/2016 8:24 am  #36

Wow! Very nice get. What I really liked was when he drove to the hoop and dished out. That's something we've really seen from our PG's over the years. One small criticism though (a very small one). On his drives down the left side of the lane, he finished with his right hand. I'm sure he'll be working on that though.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

9/13/2016 6:04 pm  #37

Duques102 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

CLK wrote:

You don't know your ass from third base and you rip a kid who you have never seen play and yet to wear a DU uniform. This recruit bashing has to stop.   

I watched Colter suffer because of his size and bad decision making. He made some plays but all point guards do. In basketball, matchups mean everything and shorter guards struggle at this level. So far as DU coach goes, Ferry does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

Don't be thick ritters, do some research. A 6"1 consensus three star point guard recruit (from services like ESPN and rivals) is a huge get. ESPN has him ranked as the 54th best pg in the nation, that's power 5 level talent. This kid has 4 inches on colter. What do you want? A six seven point guard? Watching a few highlights you can see the kid is very long and athletic and puts a high level of importance on defense. I personally think this is the perfect type of point guard for the run and gun offense ferry likes to play, especially with his adeptness at getting to the rim.

ESPN had Tarin smith as a two star ranked as the 64th best pg in the nation, to put things in perspective. This is one of the higher level recruits that Duquesne has brought in naturally (without transferring in) in YEARS. I can't take people seriously that make completely uneducated negative statements like this, will probably breeze over your posts in the future.

I'm not ready to coronate any guard recruited by Ferry. He's done such a pitiful job of attracting guards, the most plentiful position. Did you forget having no one to come in and spell Colter and Mason last season?. They were forced to play 40 minutes per game because Ferry had no one to come in for a breather. A 3-star player? The only stars I appreciate are the ones in the sky. 

9/13/2016 7:11 pm  #38

A10Talk.com ‏What Jamari Wheeler’s commitment means for Duquesne

http://www.a10talk.com/jamari-wheelers-commitment-means-duquesne/

Last edited by CLK (9/13/2016 7:12 pm)

Board footera