Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing


SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



9/18/2016 12:44 pm  #1


Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Russ Wood ‏=[/url]2017 St. Petersburg (FL) SG Darius Banks ([url=https://twitter.com/DbDarius]@DbDarius) has committed to Duquesne

This is a major pick up of a 4 star recruit. Now we need to get Tshiefu Ngalakulondi a strong SF.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/darius-banks




 

Last edited by CLK (9/18/2016 1:14 pm)

 

9/18/2016 12:53 pm  #2


     Thread Starter
 

9/18/2016 1:06 pm  #3


     Thread Starter
 

9/18/2016 1:23 pm  #4


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Wow!!! Great job by the staff. Now let's get our on the court wins to start catching up to our recruiting wins!

 

9/18/2016 1:45 pm  #5


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

WOW, the staff is really getting it done this year.

 

9/18/2016 1:51 pm  #6


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Good news!  Now they can concentrate on front court players.  Probably a power forward and a small forward to complete a nice class.

 

9/18/2016 2:02 pm  #7


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

levon1975 wrote:

Good news!  Now they can concentrate on front court players.  Probably a power forward and a small forward to complete a nice class.

Now that you have two guards in the mix and two more scholarships, do you take a chance on another tall project like Lewis and hope he develops?

 

9/18/2016 3:56 pm  #8


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Dukes2012 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Good news! Now they can concentrate on front court players. Probably a power forward and a small forward to complete a nice class.

Now that you have two guards in the mix and two more scholarships, do you take a chance on another tall project like Lewis and hope he develops?

Target a good center, but if you can't get one, take a big guy who's a project.
 

 

9/18/2016 4:26 pm  #9


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

LETS GOOOOOOOOOO


Roll Dukes Roll
 

9/18/2016 5:19 pm  #10


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Very, very impressive. He's bringing in next level talent to compete with the better talent he now has on his roster.

Good job, Coach Ferry. Let's build something special here.

 

9/18/2016 7:40 pm  #11


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

ElDuque wrote:

Very, very impressive. He's bringing in next level talent to compete with the better talent he now has on his roster.

Good job, Coach Ferry. Let's build something special here.

I'm still not sold on his Xs and Os, but he's bringing in some solid talent, and not waiting until the spring when there's not much left. He's beginning to look like Penn State's coach, who didn't do much early, but has upped his recruiting enough to buy himself a little more time.
 

 

9/18/2016 7:43 pm  #12


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

levon1975 wrote:

Good news! Now they can concentrate on front court players. Probably a power forward and a small forward to complete a nice class.

There are two recruits who have visited that DU who have yet to decide.  Tshiefu Ngalakulondi a 6'6" SF who will decide between DU and the Bonnies this week, and Jason Strong a 6'9" PF (not sure of his status).  Tshiefu would be another great pick up if we can get him. Strong reminds me of better version of Powell  JF could wrap up 2017 recruiting in the next couple of weeks.












 

     Thread Starter
 

9/19/2016 9:15 am  #13


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Very, very impressive. He's bringing in next level talent to compete with the better talent he now has on his roster.

Good job, Coach Ferry. Let's build something special here.

I'm still not sold on his Xs and Os, but he's bringing in some solid talent, and not waiting until the spring when there's not much left. He's beginning to look like Penn State's coach, who didn't do much early, but has upped his recruiting enough to buy himself a little more time.
 

It's funny you say that, because I was thinking the same thing last night.  Pat Chambers is recruiting his butt off as of late to make Penn State into a legit B10 program.  He probably would have been fired, but with the incoming Philly recruits, that would have been a huge mistake.  I think Ferry is making the same type of case.  If he can show me a good season this year with development of the freshmen and juniors, then I will start to really buy in, especially if he can land a decent big man (Strong) and a good Sf (Ngalakulondi ).  Perhaps the situation at Duquesne requires patience (A LOT of Patience...  Like A LOT.)   


"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers
 

9/19/2016 9:26 am  #14


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Wooooooweeee I never in my wildest dreams expected that in September before the season even started we would have two guys of this caliber committed! This is big for the program, hope these guys stay and impact this program the way their talent projects they will! Who was the last recruit we got of these guys caliber? I was a freshman when Saunders was a senior was he the last guy?

 

9/19/2016 9:31 am  #15


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Isaiah Mike last year!

 

9/19/2016 9:39 am  #16


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

levon1975 wrote:

Isaiah Mike last year!

True....he was the number two or three prospect out of Canada. I think he's going to be an absolute stud. Still though, he didn't get that much shine, hype, or attention from US outlets until very very late in the process. I don't think his offer sheet really blew me away either. These two are top 60 and top 50 rated recruits in the nation at their position solid three and fringe four star guys, respectively. These are the type of guys that land at mid to lower level power five schools in general. It's huge we were able to beat out multiple recent ncaa tourney teams to get these guys.

Any chance Brian Nash is down in Florida helping to pull some strings for us???? He has some clout in his position down there, wonder if he knew these kids. they and Nash both run in the same elite basketball circles down there, which probably aren't all that large.

Last edited by Duques102 (9/19/2016 9:40 am)

 

9/19/2016 9:52 am  #17


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

I'd say before Mike it was Saunders and Baldonado.(sp?)

 

9/19/2016 10:07 am  #18


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

D102 I was wondering the same thing about Nash, although he hasn't been in Fla that long yet.  Either way, these two commits are a big "get" for us from a recruiting pedigree at least.  I too hope we can finalize the class with the up front targets - possibly this week on T Naga.  Now we need some melding of all the new pieces on this year's roster to have a good season and make some noise in the A-10 tourney in our own backyard!!!

 

9/19/2016 10:07 am  #19


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Nice to see Coach Ferry going after and getting the good ones, recently discussed with Ray Goss his opinion of I. Mike, he saw him at the summer games and was impressed. That impresses me since Ray has seen and called play by play on them all.

Hope is eternal with we die hard fans , and remember it took Coach Ferry quite awhile to get it right at LIU, then he went NCAA.....


A diehard fan since 1961
 

9/19/2016 10:15 am  #20


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

If we can beat out the Bonnies for this kid it will be a hat trick for players who wore the number 5 in high school. I know news is probably slow coming out of Olean but it looks like he got out of town without giving them a verbal.

 

9/19/2016 10:45 am  #21


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Two points
1.  We have two verbals from Banks and Wheeler.  Both players are good recruits.  We are in the running for two more--Strong and T Nga.  That would make four players when we only have three scholies to give--Lewis, Abramhamson and Blackman.  Did I do the math wrong?
2. I sense that Harper had a lot to do with the better recruiting.  When hired, he mentioned that the recruiting was antiquated.  Later, he talked about installing a plan that would help, not only JF, all future coaches. I wonder if that all happened?

 

9/19/2016 11:01 am  #22


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Duques102 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Isaiah Mike last year!

True....he was the number two or three prospect out of Canada. I think he's going to be an absolute stud. Still though, he didn't get that much shine, hype, or attention from US outlets until very very late in the process. I don't think his offer sheet really blew me away either. These two are top 60 and top 50 rated recruits in the nation at their position solid three and fringe four star guys, respectively. These are the type of guys that land at mid to lower level power five schools in general. It's huge we were able to beat out multiple recent ncaa tourney teams to get these guys.

Any chance Brian Nash is down in Florida helping to pull some strings for us???? He has some clout in his position down there, wonder if he knew these kids. they and Nash both run in the same elite basketball circles down there, which probably aren't all that large.

I think the reason they are getting players is because Nash is gone. He really brought in some bad players and kids. Powell and stevens were always in trouble. Jordan Robinson hasn't done a thing in a duquesne uniform yet. Watkins was horrible. He may have recruited Trayvaughn white as well, all recruits who didnt do anything. I think Lawson baudinet and Glesmann are starting to bring in some players which is good to see.

With the momentum the staff has going right now, and extension may make sense.

 

9/19/2016 11:28 am  #23


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Econ69 wrote:

Two points
1.  We have two verbals from Banks and Wheeler.  Both players are good recruits.  We are in the running for two more--Strong and T Nga.  That would make four players when we only have three scholies to give--Lewis, Abramhamson and Blackman.  Did I do the math wrong?
2. I sense that Harper had a lot to do with the better recruiting.  When hired, he mentioned that the recruiting was antiquated.  Later, he talked about installing a plan that would help, not only JF, all future coaches. I wonder if that all happened?

Econ 69, You forgot Jackson who left in August.


Simms, I thought last years class was was a solid A10 class, and this year is shaping up to be possibly better, I still have the concern on the need to have a winning season this year in the A10.  He has the talent, and now he has to show some movement up in the League this year to get any extension in my opinion.

     Thread Starter
 

9/19/2016 12:40 pm  #24


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

Duques102 wrote:

[Any chance Brian Nash is down in Florida helping to pull some strings for us???? He has some clout in his position down there, wonder if he knew these kids. they and Nash both run in the same elite basketball circles down there, which probably aren't all that large.

PistolPete wrote:

D102 I was wondering the same thing about Nash, although he hasn't been in Fla that long yet.  Either way, these two commits are a big "get" for us from a recruiting pedigree at least.  I too hope we can finalize the class with the up front targets - possibly this week on T Naga.  Now we need some melding of all the new pieces on this year's roster to have a good season and make some noise in the A-10 tourney in our own backyard!!!

If you look at the Jason Strong video, you will see Brian Nash sitting in the top row when they pan over to the coaches.

Brian brought a lot of talent into Duquesne; I don't know who exactly he brought in - you might have a better handle on this, Steel city AJ.  I do know that he brought in Sanders, too.  Sometimes young guys with a lot of raw talent don't work hard or are head cases. It happens; i.e. Powell.  And sometimes it takes longer to figure things out - I'm hoping that's the case for Jordan Robinson. Watkins' injury derailed his opportunity. And whenever you bring in a JC transfer (especially a guard) or a 5th year senior, you're just patching a hole - it's a scramble by all of the coaching staff to get a warm and hopefully a productive body in place.
 

 

9/19/2016 2:15 pm  #25


Re: Darius Banks Commits to Duquesne

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

[Any chance Brian Nash is down in Florida helping to pull some strings for us???? He has some clout in his position down there, wonder if he knew these kids. they and Nash both run in the same elite basketball circles down there, which probably aren't all that large.

PistolPete wrote:

D102 I was wondering the same thing about Nash, although he hasn't been in Fla that long yet.  Either way, these two commits are a big "get" for us from a recruiting pedigree at least.  I too hope we can finalize the class with the up front targets - possibly this week on T Naga.  Now we need some melding of all the new pieces on this year's roster to have a good season and make some noise in the A-10 tourney in our own backyard!!!

If you look at the Jason Strong video, you will see Brian Nash sitting in the top row when they pan over to the coaches.

Brian brought a lot of talent into Duquesne; I don't know who exactly he brought in - you might have a better handle on this, Steel city AJ.  I do know that he brought in Sanders, too.  Sometimes young guys with a lot of raw talent don't work hard or are head cases. It happens; i.e. Powell.  And sometimes it takes longer to figure things out - I'm hoping that's the case for Jordan Robinson. Watkins' injury derailed his opportunity. And whenever you bring in a JC transfer (especially a guard) or a 5th year senior, you're just patching a hole - it's a scramble by all of the coaching staff to get a warm and hopefully a productive body in place.
 

Ah ha! I thought it seemed like an unlikely coincidence that our associate head coach takes a job at one of the nationally elite sports academies down there and all of a sudden we get two highly rated recruits out of a state we otherwise almost never get guys from. Kudos to however they got it done but I wouldn't be surprised to find out Nash is heavily involved with the AAU circuit in addition to his duties at IMG, as most college coaches are in many sports.

He is also constantly evaluating talent at that age level because he himself is looking to recruit the best possible players to his school, IMG to in turn raise the profile of the high school/academy national profile. He could be a huge asset going forward, he may be down in Florida, but he's just a phone call away. He got Powell and Lewis from down there shortly before taking the job. Could be a new recruiting pipeline opening up in a very talented recruiting pool.

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum