Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2016 8:15 am  #1

PSN Season Preview

In the article it states that Smith underwent surgery and will be ready for conference play.  Does this mean he will not be ready for non conference? I am thinking if this is true I may adjust my win projection.

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2016/09/30/duquesne-2016-17-season-preview/

9/30/2016 9:54 am  #2

Re: PSN Season Preview

CLK, it certainly looks like we have a number of candidates for the A-10 All Personality Team - things are looking up.

This is the type of Ferry quote that makes me really dislike him at times:  “For Duquesne, that was a pretty good season, but we were on the verge of having a great season,”  Really, the quote should have said "For a Ferry-coached team at Duquesne, that was a pretty good season..."  I'm tired of his "poor Jimmy" routine, got stuck in a job with the cupboard bare, it takes so long to dig Duquesne out of this great big hole, etc., etc. etc.

9/30/2016 10:22 am  #3

Phoenix, I noticed the personality quotes.  Not sure how that translates into wins, but makes for a better locker room. That has to be better than a team with malcontents, trouble makers, and handing out repeat suspensions.  

I am tired also of hearing the "poor Jimmy" routine.  But it does not matter at this point.  It is his 5th year and it is time to win, a bottom level finish in the A10 is unacceptable.

9/30/2016 10:42 am  #4

CLK, I was just being a bit of a wise ass on the personality comments; I don't recall seeing that word used all that often by coaches when describing players. From everything that I have heard, the locker room was not an issue last year. And losing Colter, Mason and Jones (I don't know much about Jackson on how he fit in), all high caliber guys, from that locker room could be tough to replace.  So it's good to hear that the new guys are fitting into the program.

I'm with you 100% - just win.

9/30/2016 11:14 am  #5

No mention of Gill who would be senior after a solid junior year.   He would be starter this year.
Nice words about the freshmen but will Ferry play them?
True Jones got hurt and Mason turned his ankle.  But no mention about Castro who might have been a worthy backup to both players.

9/30/2016 11:30 am  #6

Correction.  Gill had graduated with a year eligibility.

Still,  if Gill had stayed,  he probably would have been a significant contributor.

9/30/2016 3:59 pm  #7

Econ69 wrote:

No mention of Gill who would be senior after a solid junior year.   He would be starter this year.
Nice words about the freshmen but will Ferry play them?
True Jones got hurt and Mason turned his ankle.  But no mention about Castro who might have been a worthy backup to both players.

Did you watch Castro last year? He was awful. He more than earned his spot on the bench. You can't keep playing guys who don't produce. That said, I'm hoping we see the Castro that we saw this summer when the season begins.

9/30/2016 4:18 pm  #8

That's also a function of coaching, no?

9/30/2016 6:58 pm  #9

ElDuque wrote:

That's also a function of coaching, no?

To a degree, but you can't turn Eric Evans into Norm Nixon, no matter how good the coaching. Castro did nothing at Butler, and he's done nothing here. He just may not have it. He wouldn't be the first player not to live up to expectations. It's put up or shut up for him as well now. I hope he surprises us, as an effective Castro will go a long way towards us having a breakthrough season.

Board footera