Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES IS ENTERING THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2016 3:31 pm  #1

A-10 Preview

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/10/06/atlantic-10-conference-preview-is-it-finally-rhode-islands-time/

I'm certain I'll be chided for hanging crepe paper by posting this. I did not write it. I don't know enough about the other teams and their respective off-season activities to comment intelligently. I will say this: While we did lose three starters (four if you count JJ) who accounted for a lot of our scoring the past three seasons, I think we'll be a better team based on the premise that the last core didn't produce a lot of wins over three years.

Can we do worse? Certainly. But we can also do better.

10/06/2016 4:14 pm  #2

Re: A-10 Preview

ElDuque - I read this also.  Yes we can do better but we lost our two highest scorers from last year and we didn't do well then (weak OOC made us look better).  I am not going to go on and on as I have said many things in the past about the program under Ferry - no, I am not a fan of his because he doesn't win.

I keep getting calls and emails from DU and that is nice but my responses are the same.  When he takes us to the NIT or NCAA or we get a new coach I will go back to buying my two season tickets and contributing money.  Been doing this too long.  Sorry, but ElDuque, I am also sick of losing.  Amen!

10/07/2016 7:08 am  #3

The talent and coaching caliber seems to be rapidly improving in the A-10, let's hope we are just being overlooked and not being overwhelmed.

A diehard fan since 1961

10/07/2016 8:16 am  #4

I feel like this is just lazy reporting....they just saw who we lost and they wrote us off. I truly think we will prove them wrong...I really like what I've seen from I. Mike (I know he's a freshman). I know he is listed at 6-8 but he looks even bigger than that in person. I don't think well be top 3 in the conference but I do believe we can get to middle of the pack with what we have right now. 

Roll Dukes Roll

10/07/2016 10:50 am  #5

I don't think the writer realized that the Dukes picked up Blackman & Abrahamson.  Not sure how you leave off Blackman as an impact transfer.  Let's see if the Dukes can earn some respect this season.

10/07/2016 5:29 pm  #6

currentstudent wrote:

I feel like this is just lazy reporting....they just saw who we lost and they wrote us off. I truly think we will prove them wrong...I really like what I've seen from I. Mike (I know he's a freshman). I know he is listed at 6-8 but he looks even bigger than that in person. I don't think well be top 3 in the conference but I do believe we can get to middle of the pack with what we have right now. 

Looks like you are not alone in what you see:

Brian Batko ‏ Just leaving @DuqMBB practice. Long range, mid range, around the rim, freshman Isiaha Mike just puts the ball in the hoop. A lot.

Last edited by CLK (10/07/2016 5:30 pm)

10/07/2016 5:37 pm  #7

But will Ferry play him?
Or will Ferry cite "Mike is a freshman and makes freshman mistakes" even though Mike has
superior skills to whoever is ahead of him?

10/08/2016 12:09 am  #8

Econ69 wrote:

But will Ferry play him?
Or will Ferry cite "Mike is a freshman and makes freshman mistakes" even though Mike has
superior skills to whoever is ahead of him?

What superstar has Ferry kept on the bench for some scrub? I must have missed it.

Last edited by duq81 (10/08/2016 12:10 am)

10/08/2016 5:37 am  #9

CLK wrote:

Looks like you are not alone in what you see:

Brian Batko ‏ Just leaving @DuqMBB practice. Long range, mid range, around the rim, freshman Isiaha Mike just puts the ball in the hoop. A lot.

Here's Brian Batko's article after witnessing practice yesterday:  http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2016/10/08/Versatility-roster-flexibility-stand-out-for-Duquesne-s-Ferry/stories/201610310020

10/08/2016 5:50 am  #10

Get to the top half this year. Snag a really good upset. Win a tournament game or two. And if, at the end of the season, we're built around Mike, James, Smith and Sanders, with Castro looking like the player we recruited, we'll be in good shape. Abrahamson and Blackman can certainly take lead roles early. Lewis too.

10/08/2016 9:05 am  #11

No mention at all of Jordan Robinson. Is he still on the team?

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

10/08/2016 10:22 am  #12

KenOTR73 wrote:

No mention at all of Jordan Robinson. Is he still on the team?

The article ignored Robinson as well as the grad transfers. JF had some good things to say about Robinson though, saying that he is working hard at improving defensively. Also said he has improved his physical conditioning.

From what I have seen the last two years, Robinson has been underutilized. If he has now made significant improvements in his game, he could be a big factor, but Ferry has to give him enough minutes. That may not happen if the over-abundance of small forwards on the roster results in Ferry using only one center/PF at a time all season long.

10/08/2016 9:36 pm  #13

Thanks apple.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera