Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES IS ENTERING THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/09/2016 10:23 am  #1

P-G article

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2016/10/08/Versatility-roster-flexibility-stand-out-for-Duquesne-s-Ferry/stories/201610310020

Interesting stuff.

It makes me queasy that Ferry says this "could" be a group where they play 10 guys. In order to make a large step forward this group has to rely on depth to overcome the lack of having played together & an unusual amount of inexperienced talent. I will not be able to take it if he goes with the iron-man routine again. The minutes wasted on JJ in years 1-3 certainly prevented other players from staying/developing. Likewise, the ridiculous minutes load for Micah & DC assured that the program would have no players with  meaningful, A-10 lead guard experience heading into this season & that our guards would be spent at the conclusion of every contest. It is unlikely that there is anyone on the roster that absolutely must play more than 28 minutes per game, there are at least 7 guys that should be getting 19+, & 4 more that need to get 8-10  minutes for developmental purposes. IkeMike, JRob, & Nakye each need to log 450 minutes for the 2017-18 season to be a real success. Article doesn't mention Littleson. If he can't crack the top 10, he needs to redshirt. I would think that his shooting would keep him more in the mix. JRob also not mentioned. That is troubling. Ferry has buried this guy for 2 years & he is without question the most viable low-post offensive threat. His production during the final 8 games last year coupled with 2 years remaining eligibility make his development imperative. If he is an attitude case or lazy he should have been cut loose this off-season. This guy has been on campus since August of 2013. Either use him or move on. This is the highest quality top-bottom roster in recent memory. I am really impressed with the talent assembled & the class coming in next year. The question remains, what can Ferry do with them? I suspect he gets fired if the team wins less than 19 & has its annual February Ferry swoon.

Last edited by phil95 (10/09/2016 10:24 am)

10/09/2016 1:17 pm  #2

Re: P-G article

Don't have time to dispute all of your points, but I'll comment on a few.  Please tell me what budding superstar was being blocked by JJ?  Seriously?  JJ became a solid player, by  virtue of playing time in his first three years.  Had  he not been injured last year the season would have ended quite differently.

As for late season swoons, I recall that also being a problem for Ron, due to a general lack of talent and depth in the program more than poor coaching.  The team couldn't afford to sit Micah or DC last year because there was too much of a drop off when playing subs; again just didn't have depth. 

As BBatko points out, this team has some depth and size at all positions, so guys don't need to play all 40 minutes.

10/09/2016 2:28 pm  #3

-JJ wasn't a worthy A-10 starter until maybe the last 7 games of his junior year. Before he was injured as senior he was only good enough to start on the bottom 3- 4 teams in the conference. The only thing that should have kept him the starting lineup that long was his much improved passing skills.
-Had he been a very respectable 7th man in years 2- 3 & a starter as a senior, you would know that the program was truly on an upswing. "Solid" players can't play 30 minutes a night for top 75 schools.
-Do you realize that his career shooting percentages were 39.3%/31.7%/66.4%?
-The standard line was that he was a good leader & our best defender. I have no insight on his leadership skills. However, I had coaches from 2 separate A-10 teams confirm for me that JJ was routinely targeted on defense  because he was so frequently out of position. 8 blocked shots & 54 steals as a starter, in 103 career games is pretty sad.
-Most posters who know him attest to his fine personal qualities. I would not dispute that. What I do know is that he played way too much in his first 3 years given his meager contributions.If that was because Ferry had no better bodies: shame on him. If was because Ferry played favorites; shame on him again. Letting Jerry Jones, Eric James, & Josh Steele rot on the bench hurt the program.
-I am convinced that if JF would have found Micha & DC another 3-4 minutes of rest each per game last season by playing Steele, Castro, & Jackson positive things would have happened last year. This is doubly true for the non-con schedule. Steele most certainly would have benefited & maybe Castro would have found his breakthrough moment.
-My main reason for thinking it was time for Ron to go was that his last few teams fell apart down the stretch. When coupled with the defections after his last season & his inability to recruit size, the  poor finishes made me think that a good coach that took the program from the dump to respectability could go no further. I am sure Ron is very proud of his resurrection job at DU. The university should be embarrassed by the method & circumstances of his dismissal. None of this changes the fact that Ferry's teams haven't gotten stronger as the year goes on.

10/09/2016 6:01 pm  #4

phil95 wrote:

-JJ wasn't a worthy A-10 starter until maybe the last 7 games of his junior year. Before he was injured as senior he was only good enough to start on the bottom 3- 4 teams in the conference. The only thing that should have kept him the starting lineup that long was his much improved passing skills.
-Had he been a very respectable 7th man in years 2- 3 & a starter as a senior, you would know that the program was truly on an upswing. "Solid" players can't play 30 minutes a night for top 75 schools.
-The standard line was that he was a good leader & our best defender. I have no insight on his leadership skills. However, I had coaches from 2 separate A-10 teams confirm for me that JJ was routinely targeted on defense  because he was so frequently out of position. 8 blocked shots & 54 steals as a starter, in 103 career games is pretty sad.
-Most posters who know him attest to his fine personal qualities. I would not dispute that. What I do know is that he played way too much in his first 3 years given his meager contributions.If that was because Ferry had no better bodies: shame on him. If was because Ferry played favorites; shame on him again. Letting Jerry Jones, Eric James, & Josh Steele rot on the bench hurt the program.
-I am convinced that if JF would have found Micha & DC another 3-4 minutes of rest each per game last season by playing Steele, Castro, & Jackson positive things would have happened last year. This is doubly true for the non-con schedule. Steele most certainly would have benefited & maybe Castro would have found his breakthrough moment.
-My main reason for thinking it was time for Ron to go was that his last few teams fell apart down the stretch. When coupled with the defections after his last season & his inability to recruit size, the  poor finishes made me think that a good coach that took the program from the dump to respectability could go no further. I am sure Ron is very proud of his resurrection job at DU. The university should be embarrassed by the method & circumstances of his dismissal. None of this changes the fact that Ferry's teams haven't gotten stronger as the year goes on.

Those guys didn't get more run because they didn't deserve it. That's why a pair of transfers will likely be in the starting backcourt this year instead of the guys who were reserves last year. It was shocking to me how bad Castro was last year. I would have glued his butt to the bench as well. They would have lost some of those ooc games if Ferry had given those guys more minutes.

10/10/2016 9:24 am  #5

I was wondering, with potential D-1 sized guards will the Duquesne defense, especially the three point barrages that took place most nights by shooting over the undersized Duquesne perimeter improve to respectability.?

Mason and DC were great competitors and could score with most in the conference, but really were about 6' and 5-8 (5-9?) and mismatched almost constantly on defense.

This time of the year no one has failed to live up to expectations yet, let's hope for improvement in all aspects of defense, especially in the guard spots.

A diehard fan since 1961

10/10/2016 11:40 am  #6

phil95 wrote:

Certainly if there was more size, skill or even a better scoring threat at the three spot; they would have gotten more minutes than JJ.  There just weren't many options.

Eric only sat his freshman year behind JJ, and he had chances to play, just didn't perform.  His father also told me he had a foot injury that hampered him his freshman year.  Eric made great strides in year two and the injury to JJ gave him an opportunity.  He played too many minutes last year and hit a slump midway through the A-10 schedule, but did bounce back late season.
Josh Steele wasn't even on the team until last season, and you all know what happened with JJ getting hurt so Steele's development wasn't hindered by JJ.  I have hopes for Steele but he wasn't ready to play significant minutes last year.
That leaves Jerry Jones, who, in fact played a fair amount, based on his talent level.  Jerry was similar to JJ, and had some bright spots, but not enough of them to warrant much more playing time, and he was a couple of years older than JJ anyway.

Last edited by levon1975 (10/10/2016 11:42 am)

10/10/2016 2:56 pm  #7

I wish the season started today...so interested to see how this team looks. 

Roll Dukes Roll

Board footera