Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2016 4:53 pm  #1

Sports Illustrated Top 100 impact scoring transfers

10/13/2016 9:48 pm  #2

Re: Sports Illustrated Top 100 impact scoring transfers

Hope this guy knows his stuff. Be nice to get 15-18 from Blackman and Abrahamson.

10/14/2016 1:23 am  #3

LG Gill listed at #59. Can't believe no one mentioned he is listed as a projected starter on this site.

Last edited by Duques102 (10/14/2016 1:24 am)

10/14/2016 5:22 am  #4

Gill's gone; let's move on.

10/14/2016 8:12 am  #5

Hey just saying, I'm surprised but good for him. I've moved on, but also think there is nothing wrong with acknowledging a fact about the kid. One can move on without pretending someone doesn't exist.

To take it one step further, I'll be rooting for him. You wish these guys stayed but at the end of the day it's the choice they made in what they perceive to be their best interest. When TJ left I started watching most of Arizonas games and watched him orchestrate and lead an incredibly entertaining offense full of NBA talent. I essentially became a quasi Arizona fan during his time there, and looked at them as my tourney team because, to put it bluntly, we were never there. I feel the same way about LG, I'll be watching and rooting for him because in my opinion, these are still our guys.

All that being said, I am extremely excited to see the product we put on the floor this year and I'm optimistic, as reflected by my win prediction for the year. I refuse to be closed minded and forget the existence of someone who worked hard during his time here and benefitted this program as much as they could. I'll always root for someone who was a productive part of our family, no matter how long they stay. Keep in mind, LG graduated as a Duquesne alum.

Last edited by Duques102 (10/14/2016 8:52 am)

10/14/2016 12:53 pm  #6

10/14/2016 2:23 pm  #7

What's interesting about this is that Maryland plans to use him as a 4, and he's gung ho about it. We've had the discussion on how to use LG while he was here many times on this board. I always said he had the right frame to play the 4, that he was our most effective rebounder, and that I thought he'd be more effective playing inside.

I too wish him well. I'm hopeful that Sanders can fill this type of role for us this year.

10/14/2016 3:48 pm  #8

Good Luck to LG, he had some great games as a Duke and left the right way, as a grad.

A diehard fan since 1961

10/14/2016 7:18 pm  #9

Well said. I wish LG nothing but the best. Has a chance to be part of an outstanding team.

10/26/2016 9:38 am  #10

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Graduate-Transfer-LG-Gill-Maryland-Basketball-48517000

Article on LG, his recruitment and turning into a starter/leader for the Terps.

10/26/2016 12:12 pm  #11

There you have it: he left Duquesne because he hates losing.

Maryland is working on making him a post player. Three years, I said he'd be ideal in that role.

10/26/2016 3:37 pm  #12

LG usually had great games against Virginia teams, most likely since he was overlooked in recruiting.

He played high school ball at a catholic high school in Midlothian , Virginia an upscale suburban Richmond , Va. Legendary high school Benedictine Academy, I think Wilson from the NFL Seahawks went there.

His family lives in nearby Powhaten , Va. Which is a rural beautiful area, his dad told me he had a 20'acre estate there.

To go to Maryland and the big time atmosphere that he will play in, plus the great Big 10 arenas and storied teams he will compete with, why he must think he died and went to heaven!

I was never pissed at TJ because he bettered himself with the transfer, but LG gave us three good years, he left as a grad and never dogged it anytime I saw him play, Good Luck and God Bless him and his family.

A diehard fan since 1961

10/26/2016 4:23 pm  #13

ElDuque wrote:

Maryland is working on making him a post player. Three years, I said he'd be ideal in that role.

So, last year's team had a player who is starting as a point guard for a team in France, a shooting guard who was starting for a team in Belgium, a forward who is going to start for Maryland...
I hate to keep beating this drum, but Jim Ferry has brought in a lot of talented players from which he can't seem to extract wins.

10/26/2016 8:25 pm  #14

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

So, last year's team had a player who is starting as a point guard for a team in France, a shooting guard who was starting for a team in Belgium, a forward who is going to start for Maryland...
I hate to keep beating this drum, but Jim Ferry has brought in a lot of talented players from which he can't seem to extract wins.

Can we at least wait until the season starts to begin complaining?

10/26/2016 8:56 pm  #15

I hate losing too.

10/26/2016 10:29 pm  #16

ElDuque wrote:

I hate losing too.

So do I, but we ought to be able to at least start the season, if not on a positive note, at least not on a Debbie Downer note. When they play poorly, or lose a game they shouldn't, complain away, but a few weeks before the season, the negativity needs to be put on hold.

10/27/2016 8:31 am  #17

I can't "unsee" what I've witnessed over the last four years.

10/27/2016 9:42 am  #18

It wasn't negativity, it was a quote. I think anyone, including Ferry, could understand Gill's thought process. Different if he went to a program doing worse and than us, but he went someplace where he's in a higher ranked conference with a good team.

No one's been more positive than me the past few weeks.

I personally would have preferred the "attaboy" for my astute observation of how Gill could or should have been used here. I hope LG has a great year and gets drafted. And I hope we win the A-10.

10/27/2016 2:46 pm  #19

ElDuque wrote:

It wasn't negativity, it was a quote. I think anyone, including Ferry, could understand Gill's thought process. Different if he went to a program doing worse and than us, but he went someplace where he's in a higher ranked conference with a good team.

No one's been more positive than me the past few weeks.

I personally would have preferred the "attaboy" for my astute observation of how Gill could or should have been used here. I hope LG has a great year and gets drafted. And I hope we win the A-10.

I'm not mad at Gill. He graduated, and played by the rules. We can't be mad at Gill, and then embrace Blackman, and Abrahmson. Gill may be a guy who will do better in a supporting role, and may be more willing to embrace such a role playing for a big name team. A bit different than the McConnel situation where he was the best player on the team, was likely tampered with, and caused his coach to be fired a year earlier than he likely would have. Anyways, I wasn't referring to your post when I mentioned negativity. I just think that going into the season, you need to wipe the slate clean. If the team fails to live up to expectations, I have no problem with folks being pissed, but constantly slamming Ferry at every opportunity before the season even starts serves no purpose. We've had all spring and summer to rehash last season, and to bash the coaches for it. It's time to look forward.

10/27/2016 5:21 pm  #20

Am not slamming Ferry or anyone.

10/27/2016 5:27 pm  #21

You know fellas, it might be better to just say, Coach Jim Ferry has had his difficulties during his time at Duquesne and let's hope he can put it all together with this years team and have a successful season.

A diehard fan since 1961

10/28/2016 8:35 am  #22

And BTW, El Duque, attaboy.

And I hope there's another "attaboy" on its way to you in a few months with your NY/NJ point guard recommendation. If Tarin can run this team offensively and play tough, hard-nosed on the ball defense against opposing PG's, this team could take a significant step forward.

10/28/2016 12:39 pm  #23

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

And BTW, El Duque, attaboy.

And I hope there's another "attaboy" on its way to you in a few months with your NY/NJ point guard recommendation. If Tarin can run this team offensively and play tough, hard-nosed on the ball defense against opposing PG's, this team could take a significant step forward.

ED has been calling for a NJ point guard for years. Well, we got one from St. Anthony's, which is about as well as we could hope to do. I'm mildly optimistic, and can't wait for the season to begin.

10/29/2016 10:15 am  #24

duq81 wrote:

ED has been calling for a NJ point guard for years. Well, we got one from St. Anthony's, which is about as well as we could hope to do. I'm mildly optimistic, and can't wait for the season to begin.

In addition to Smith, the addition of Isiaha Mike causes my outlook to swing toward optimism. Ferry was successful when his offense revolves around versatile, athletic forwards. At LIU, he had two 6-7 players, Boyd and Olasewere, who were the key weapons. We saw the way that he used Ovie Soko in his one season, even though he only had McKoy as a viable F/C option. With Lewis, Robinson and Sanders, Ferry can play Mike at the 4 or even the 3 at times (and rarely, if ever, at center); an ideal match up in Ferry's offense.

From what I saw of Mike in the Summer League games, he actually played defense, moved his feet, wasn't reaching, etc. He will have his up and downs, but I think he will get quickly acclimated to the college game and contribute this year.

And it may be that he will have a fellow 6-8 stablemate next year in John Walker.

Board footera