Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/15/2016 2:48 pm  #1

Social Media & Women's BB

Don't want to be negative here, but I have a bone to pick with Duquesne.  Where is the social media activity for this team?   

A tweet every couple of days?   They should be tweeting everyday.   Some good Instagram pics last weekend but nothing in four days. 

They should be tweeting and instagramming (if that is a word) every day.   And Facebook has one post in the month of October. 

A good social media presence should have at least a post once a day.  Especially now since practice has begun.  C'mon Duquesne you have a good thing here.  Promote it!!!!!   You can wait for the local media to promote, you have to do it yourself. 

It takes about a minute to tweet something or post something on Intsagram.   Not that difficult.

Last edited by duqkurt (10/15/2016 3:04 pm)

10/16/2016 12:58 pm  #2

Re: Social Media & Women's BB

Totally agree. This is a program that is coming into national prominence by doing things the right way. I noted that the web site promoted the men's first day of practice, but there was nothing on the women's first day. Promotion is proactive. Social Media is a great vehicle to be proactive. Let's go SID. Little details hype the programs. Get the word out for both the men and women. Go Dukes!

10/16/2016 2:20 pm  #3

I fear that the AD after his big splash the first year is back to the same old Duquesne way of doing things.  There is just no accountability on that athletic department staff.   

Get a staffer job in the Duquesne athletic department and you have a job for life.  Better than a union job.

10/16/2016 2:20 pm  #4

At least ten announcements at last night's FB game between the Dukes and RMU about the JOINT  practice on October 22. The Dukes women players chaperoned a very, very tall lady (6'4")  from Finland around campus this weekend.  Word also has it that coach Burt might be on the verge of landing an even taller international lady.  Stay tuned. The program will get its due at the right time.

10/16/2016 2:23 pm  #5

That's good that they know how to use the public address system at football games.  I'm talking about social media. 

Great news on the recruit.

10/16/2016 2:24 pm  #6

grammudder wrote:

At least ten announcements at last night's FB game between the Dukes and RMU about the JOINT  practice on October 22. The Dukes women players chaperoned a very, very tall lady (6'4")  from Finland around campus this weekend.  Word also has it that coach Burt might be on the verge of landing an even taller international lady.  Stay tuned. The program will get its due at the right time.

This program will get its due at the right time.  The most successful DU program.  When would be the right time?

Now is the right time.

Last edited by duqkurt (10/16/2016 2:24 pm)

10/16/2016 3:37 pm  #7

The WBB SID is also Women's soccer and Women's Volleyball SID so he's already pulling double duty in the fall PLUS he is helping to cover for football since they are an SID short this season.  Things are quite chaotic this fall as both SID's are trying to cover their own sports plus football.

10/16/2016 5:18 pm  #8

SteelCityVoice wrote:

The WBB SID is also Women's soccer and Women's Volleyball SID so he's already pulling double duty in the fall PLUS he is helping to cover for football since they are an SID short this season.  Things are quite chaotic this fall as both SID's are trying to cover their own sports plus football.

Well that is quite interesting because I always saw a noticeable difference in the  work product of the SID that is remaining over the one that has departed.   You can easily tell the level of care he took over the departed SID.   The departing SID never had more than a one paragraph recap of any event.   

Thanks for the information.

And if the AD got rid of him I would be wrong about my point that he wasn't paying attention.

Last edited by duqkurt (10/16/2016 5:47 pm)

10/16/2016 6:55 pm  #9

I think the AD is on the ball, but the impact of social media is a phenomenon that really can be misunderstood - e.g., worried about the NCAA. I believe that getting the story out will excite those who care. I fully get multiple jobs by the SID personnel, but in this texting era, just ask each coach for an item a day via text. Look at guys like Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports. 5 blurbs a day and I keep coming back. Recruits walking around campus is cool. Simply say it within NCAA regulations. Go Dukes!

10/16/2016 7:37 pm  #10

HookShot wrote:

I think the AD is on the ball, but the impact of social media is a phenomenon that really can be misunderstood - e.g., worried about the NCAA. I believe that getting the story out will excite those who care. I fully get multiple jobs by the SID personnel, but in this texting era, just ask each coach for an item a day via text. Look at guys like Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports. 5 blurbs a day and I keep coming back. Recruits walking around campus is cool. Simply say it within NCAA regulations. Go Dukes!

Agreed.  It doesn't have to be a lot.   They took a lot of cool photos of the team around Pittsburgh on Instagram. And they sent them all on the same day. 

If they would have tweeted one a day, mission accomplished.

10/19/2016 10:26 am  #11

Ever since Dan took over the program I (as an out-of-state fan) have been gently pushing, recommending, etc. for a strategy to promote Duquesne's new brand of bb.  As an old marketing person in the entertainment industry, you have to establish your brand - and if you do it right,  the fans will come.  I hope I'm proven dead wrong, but I'm concerned the brand is even understood much less promoted.  The test will be attendance at the November home games.  I thought it was realistic to establish a 2016-2017 goal of 1,200 avg. attendance at the Palumbo.  This team is an amazing product that deserves support.  There is a way to get this done.

Board footera