Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2013 9:44 pm  #1

Our big men

In 55 minutes of playing time, our big guys (Datt, Martin, Abele, Marhold, Panto) managed 3 points, and 8 rebounds, with 8 turnovers. That is beyond pathetic. If Watkins is even close to his rating, he should start from day one.

2/06/2013 10:20 pm  #2

Re: Our big men

I know Pantophlet is usually the biggest guy on the floor, but I do not consider him a big man. The real big men - Martin, Abele, and Datt - played a total of 29 minutes and had three shots. Pantophlet was what, 0-10 in 20 minutes?

I think the problem with them is that they really are not part of the offense.

Last edited by duq81 (2/06/2013 10:48 pm)

2/06/2013 10:49 pm  #3

ElDuque wrote:

I know Pantophlet is usually the biggest guy on the floor, but I do not consider him a big man. The real big men - Martin, Abele, and Datt - played a total of 29 minutes and had three shots. Pantophlet was what, 0-10 in 20 minutes?

I think Ferry favors the same type of forward Ron did. 6'5"-6'7", able to run, and tough enough to be able to score in traffic. BJ, and Clark were this type of player, but we don't have anything like that now.

2/07/2013 9:09 am  #4

ElDuque wrote:

That is totally inaccurate; do you even see the games?  The offense is started with a high pick and roll by the "big" man in the game at the time.  THere were countless instances in which the guard tried to get the ball to the "rolling" big man only to have them lose the ball for another turnover. 
As a guard, and a coach; you hesitate to pull the trigger on that pass to the rolling big man, because it usually ends in disaster.  Kadeem at least presents the possibility of hitting the three after setting the screen, so they can't just double the ball.  Unfortunately, it takes him a while to get his shot off, and taller opponents can disrupt the shot.  Kadeem had some open looks last night that just didn't go down.  That is just part of the game.

2/07/2013 9:33 am  #5

duq81 wrote:

In 55 minutes of playing time, our big guys (Datt, Martin, Abele, Marhold, Panto) managed 3 points, and 8 rebounds, with 8 turnovers. That is beyond pathetic. If Watkins is even close to his rating, he should start from day one.

Soko will be a huge improvement. Watkins, will need some time to mature and get stronger like almost any young big man. I wouldn't count on him for more than 15-20 minutes a game next year and I wouldn't plan on the Dukes running two bigs.

2/07/2013 9:55 am  #6

I think Derrick Martin played the best of our four big men last night and deserved more playing time. Datt, Abele and Marhold simply can't get it done. If Martin can improve that would be good for the future.

2/07/2013 9:58 am  #7

steve19981 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Soko will be a huge improvement. Watkins, will need some time to mature and get stronger like almost any young big man. I wouldn't count on him for more than 15-20 minutes a game next year and I wouldn't plan on the Dukes running two bigs.

------------------
It would be nice if the Dukes could run twp "bigs" at a time, like almost every team they play. Whether it be a center and power forward, or two big forwards.  

Everything about last night's game was terrible, but one constant remains throughout the season: the lineup on the floor is always too small.

2/07/2013 12:45 pm  #8

levon1975 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

That is totally inaccurate; do you even see the games?  The offense is started with a high pick and roll by the "big" man in the game at the time.  THere were countless instances in which the guard tried to get the ball to the "rolling" big man only to have them lose the ball for another turnover. 
As a guard, and a coach; you hesitate to pull the trigger on that pass to the rolling big man, because it usually ends in disaster.  Kadeem at least presents the possibility of hitting the three after setting the screen, so they can't just double the ball.  Unfortunately, it takes him a while to get his shot off, and taller opponents can disrupt the shot.  Kadeem had some open looks last night that just didn't go down.  That is just part of the game.

Kadeem can have all the open looks he wants. He's shooting what, 10% on the year? I know I'm exaggerating, but he is neither a good shooter nor a true post player. I don't know how many touches guys can get in a minute of play, honestly. I do know that no one on this team has a decent shooting percentage either from the floor or FT line.

Board footera