Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/05/2016 3:01 pm  #26

Re: Exhibition Game

Great ghosts alive, we lost to Mansfield

11/05/2016 3:07 pm  #27

Yikes. This is why I hate these exhibition games against D2 teams. If you blow them out, you were supposed to and don't get much out of the game. If you lose or almost lose, you look like bums.

11/05/2016 3:07 pm  #28

Sounds like a worse version of the "Same Old Dukes". Mansfield goes on a 13-2 run to close out the game and the Dukes blow a double digit lead and lose 79-74.    

11/05/2016 3:09 pm  #29

Well this makes my 15 win prediction look a little high. Hope Smith is a lot rusty or a little hurt because his stats couldn't of been very good. Saw several turnovers and some missed layups on Gametracker.

11/05/2016 3:17 pm  #30

Well, the positives are that we are still 0-0 and have a (supposed) win over a decent Toledo team on the road. This is pretty embarrassing though. Syracuse knows this feeling well.

11/05/2016 3:22 pm  #31

welp, that was painful to watch.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/05/2016 3:30 pm  #32

The Dukes gave up 79 points to a mid level D2 team and lost.  This has to be very concerning given the comments by Ferry that the team was working on improving our defensive effort.  It sounds like a complete defensive breakdown,  I would be interested in comments on this from those at the game.   

11/05/2016 3:33 pm  #33

Heard we were longer this year.

11/05/2016 3:38 pm  #34

didn't see game, didn't have to. just look at stats
5-24 from 3
only 10 assists on 26fgs
16 turnovers
out rebounded by 9
Mansfield had 17 off boards.

a lot of work to do, but still young*
loved the syracuse reference, but jim ferry aint jim boeheim, and i mike aint exactly carmelo anthony!

11/05/2016 3:42 pm  #35

Real lack of leadership from what I saw. Our "New Jersey point guard" reminds me of Desmond ridenour, athleticism and apparent skill for days with no end product. He went to the basket maybe twice and missed both layups

11/05/2016 3:59 pm  #36

Toledo must be pretty bad.

11/05/2016 4:09 pm  #37

This team has long been the most irrelevant team at Duquesne.    I'd rather pay to watch the women's bowling team.

11/05/2016 4:17 pm  #38

How can Jim Ferry top this?  Blowing a late lead at home to a mediocre D-2 squad.  I don't know how he'll find a way to produce a more embarrassing loss this season, but I'm sure he will.

11/05/2016 4:28 pm  #39

This loss won't help attendance in the future.

Lewis played well.  Castro appears to be improving. Team still parts not a whole yet.

But you shouldn't lose to Mansfield.

11/05/2016 5:33 pm  #40

duqkurt wrote:

This team has long been the most irrelevant team at Duquesne. I'd rather pay to watch the women's bowling team.

Got your mind in the gutter?

11/05/2016 6:16 pm  #41

Womens bowling did win their very first match against Coppin St on Oct. 15.

Worthem, at 6' 7" is the tallest player for Mansfield.

11/05/2016 6:22 pm  #42

Wasn't able to make it to the game but thats horrible. 

My hope is that the team was just uncomfortable in their first game together and that they will be better at the start of the season. The reality is probably the horrible coaching of Jim Ferry was to blame for this loss.

Remember....based on this summer we can see this players aren't scrubs...they are all talented and its up to the head coach to use their talents correctly.  

Roll Dukes Roll

11/05/2016 6:28 pm  #43

But to keep everyone from jumping off the 10th street bridge...

VCU fell to Division II Queens College, 75-73, Friday night at home.

“They have so many good pieces,” second-year Mansfield coach Pat Zipfel said of Duquesne. “They’re going to be great, they really are.”

Roll Dukes Roll

11/05/2016 6:28 pm  #44

currentstudent wrote:

My hope is that the team was just uncomfortable in their first game together and that they will be better at the start of the season. The reality is probably the horrible coaching of Jim Ferry was to blame for this loss.

Remember....based on this summer we can see this players aren't scrubs...they are all talented and its up to the head coach to use their talents correctly.  

From what it sounds like, there were flashes of that talent today. I don't think we should have been expecting this team with so many new and young players to be a well oiled machine from the opening tip of the season. Who knows, this could end up being a blessing in disguise. Hopefully in two or three months we will look back and laugh at this. Lasalle had a lot of trouble with a D2 as well today

11/05/2016 6:56 pm  #45

Dukes2012 wrote:

currentstudent wrote:

From what it sounds like, there were flashes of that talent today. I don't think we should have been expecting this team with so many new and young players to be a well oiled machine from the opening tip of the season. Who knows, this could end up being a blessing in disguise. Hopefully in two or three months we will look back and laugh at this. Lasalle had a lot of trouble with a D2 as well today

From being there I can attest to the fact that this was a situation where we were clearly the better team. That's no excuse but being there you could see there was a lot of tinkering going on. I didn't want to mention this but at the end of the game Worthem was taking free throws to seal the deal. He was really fired up throughout the game
And was talking and woofing throughout, especially at the end when he was taking those free throws. Emile blackman was on the line laughing at him, pretty disgraceful. There was a point in the first half when Mike tried to throw an alley oop to smith, and he tried to throw it down and missed, both were laughing about it. Could have been taken much more seriously.

11/05/2016 8:23 pm  #46

VBC and I chatted mid-second half. Talent appears better but it was the same old, "Hey everybody, if you are remotely open just chuck that 3 ball up". Don't face your man up on D, let him blow right by you. Their guards just penetrated to the hoop time after time. Mike Lewis very good at the point but he picked up 3 fouls mid-way through the first period. Once he hit the pine, any semblance of actually setting up plays went with him. D. Lewis played fine as well but he towered over their entire team. Nothing from E. James, Abrahamson, Littleson. Robinson did OK subbing for Lewis. Isiaha Mike will be a very good player but rarely ended up with the ball in his hands. Yeah Castro looked OK but his molasses drives to the hoop ain't gonna happen against A-10 teams. I was very disappointed.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/05/2016 8:38 pm  #47

Duques102 wrote:

Real lack of leadership from what I saw. Our "New Jersey point guard" reminds me of Desmond ridenour, athleticism and apparent skill for days with no end product. He went to the basket maybe twice and missed both layups

Our NJ point guard sat out a year and just had knee surgery. I'd cut him at least a little slack.

11/05/2016 8:39 pm  #48

Sometimes I am glad that AJ Palumbo is 1,142 miles from my home.......

A diehard fan since 1961

11/05/2016 10:17 pm  #49

For those curious, here is my recap on the exhibition game. http://dystnow.com/2016/11/05/duquesne-drops-exhibition-game-ncaa-d-ii-mansfield/

11/05/2016 10:18 pm  #50

Econ69 wrote:

Womens bowling did win their very first match against Coppin St on Oct. 15.

Worthem, at 6' 7" is the tallest player for Mansfield.

The moderators should make the main section of this message board  womens BB.   Or women's bowling.  Anything but the joke that is Ferry and DU men's basketball.

Board footera