Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2016 2:20 am  #51

Re: Exhibition Game

FYI- Carleton, La Salle's opponent has won the Canadian championship something like 12 of the last 16 yrs. They also hammered Witchita State by 25. They have a couple of players who would start for almost any A-10 team.

11/06/2016 7:50 am  #52

I got up this morning and thought I was reading it wrong. We lost to a D-II program? Maybe we should join the PSAC and try to be competitive there. 20-loss season awaits. This is a talentless team. OMG.

11/06/2016 8:49 am  #53

Well, here we go. From the PG this morning, Sanders and Steel sat for a violation of team rules. Is this something new or a carryover from the cell phone incident? Ferry gave no timetable for their return.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/06/2016 9:18 am  #54

A positive note: the foul shooting was excellent!

11/06/2016 9:25 am  #55

KenOTR73 wrote:

Well, here we go. From the PG this morning, Sanders and Steel sat for a violation of team rules. Is this something new or a carryover from the cell phone incident? Ferry gave no timetable for their return.

I forgot about that incident. I would assume their not playing was a result of that incident. I'm glad that it seems like they resolved the problem with the victim without having to step in a courtroom. It was a stupid and immature decision that hopefully they will be better for.

11/06/2016 10:31 am  #56

KenOTR73 wrote:

VBC and I chatted mid-second half. Talent appears better but it was the same old, "Hey everybody, if you are remotely open just chuck that 3 ball up". Don't face your man up on D, let him blow right by you. Their guards just penetrated to the hoop time after time. Mike Lewis very good at the point but he picked up 3 fouls mid-way through the first period. Once he hit the pine, any semblance of actually setting up plays went with him. D. Lewis played fine as well but he towered over their entire team. Nothing from E. James, Abrahamson, Littleson. Robinson did OK subbing for Lewis. Isiaha Mike will be a very good player but rarely ended up with the ball in his hands. Yeah Castro looked OK but his molasses drives to the hoop ain't gonna happen against A-10 teams. I was very disappointed.

Ken, when their guards were getting to the hoop over and over did you notice why?? WE LITERALLY BITE ON EVERY SINGLE SHOT FAKE. It's ridiculous, we have size matchup advantages all over the floor and as soon as any player slightly pumped on their team, one of our guys went flying through the air leaving them open to drive and if the post defender stepped up they would just dish it to their guy in the post. And on the other side of the ball we pass the ball around the arc because everybody on our team is too freaking scared to put the ball on the floor or try to drive to the lane and penetrate the 3-2 zone everyone plays on us. We play right into every bodies hands, and Ferry makes no adjustments.

We play a d 2 team and defend them like every guy on their team was Steph Curry, watching Ferry try to coach is literally a train wreck. In Zachs article Ferry says he was worried because we had an off practice the day before? That's pathetic Jim. Your worried about a d2 team because you had an off practice? That shouldn't even begin to matter. And then in his article he also said he was worried about their forwards because they were smaller? What the hell does that even mean??? That should be an advantage, that's why Kentucky recruits 7 foot centers, not the 6'6" guys that play at freaking Mansfield. How about you take some responsibility for sucking at being a basketball coach, instead of blaming off practices and undersized bigs.

And sorry El D, you can't pick and choose who you cut slack and who you don't. He has practiced with the team for 2 years and played this entire offseason. He had his knee scoped, it wasn't some major operation. He was outplayed by Mike Lewis 2, Rene Castro and mansfields point guard. I'm not saying he'll never improve but it was a very disappointing outing based on all the hype he was getting which was based on his play in this offseason. That being said Abrahamson and Littleson were the worst players out there yesterday by far for us, and I'm pretty sure they both played more than Eric James. Littleson played a shocking amount of minutes for how bad he looked.

Last edited by Duques102 (11/06/2016 10:40 am)

11/06/2016 11:06 am  #57

I don't care who you sit, if you expect to compete in Division I - the Atlantic 10, you beat this team.  This surprised me since Duquesne was sooo good in June, July, August, and September...just like they were last year, and the year before that, and the year before that - that time of the year is really good for us.  I just don't know what happens with the season rolls around.

11/06/2016 12:36 pm  #58

Seems like we are in sore for more of the same offense and defense from Ferry.  I believe that if Ferry continues to play his forwards hanging out on the wing looking for three point shots we are not going to be very successful.   The Dukes were 5-24 in three point shooting.  Moreover, we only had 5 offensive rebounds yesterday vs 17 for Mansfield, and we were out rebounded 42-33.  What do they say about doing the same thing and expecting different results....  

Duques102 I would cut Littleson a little slack.  He is a true freshman in his first game.  I think he will mature and get more comfortable.

BTW, I do not know if this is true or not, but I had heard that this past summer DU paid for Ferry & Staff to get some tips on playing defense from coach Tony Bennett.  We will see if that pays any dividends.

11/06/2016 12:51 pm  #59

CLK wrote:

Seems like we are in sore for more of the same offense and defense from Ferry.  I believe that if Ferry continues to play his forwards hanging out on the wing looking for three point shots we are not going to be very successful.   The Dukes were 5-24 in three point shooting.  Moreover, we only had 5 offensive rebounds yesterday vs 17 for Mansfield, and we were out rebounded 42-33.  What do they say about doing the same thing and expecting different results....  

Duques102 I would cut Littleson a little slack.  He is a true freshman in his first game.  I think he will mature and get more comfortable.

BTW, I do not know if this is true or not, but I had heard that this past summer DU paid for Ferry & Staff to get some tips on playing defense from coach Tony Bennett.  We will see if that pays any dividends.

There's nobody better to learn defense from than tony Bennett. However, I sure hope tony bennett's offensive strategies didn't wear off on ferry!

11/06/2016 1:55 pm  #60

CLK wrote:

Your right CLK, I may be being more harsh than anyone, but also remember I was there, so I may be a little extra hot. Watched Littleson jack up a catch and shoot baseline three and squarely hit that side edge of the background, and air ball another 3. Other than take bad shots he literally did nothing else.

Last edited by Duques102 (11/06/2016 1:56 pm)

11/06/2016 2:02 pm  #61

Why don't we wait until at least next weekend to see if this game means anything.  Thankfully I missed this fiasco, but willing to wait and see what transpires over the next few weeks

11/06/2016 3:05 pm  #62

Maybe they traveled to Vegas and didin't realize it was the wrong Tony Bennett.

11/06/2016 3:07 pm  #63

levon1975 wrote:

Why don't we wait until at least next weekend to see if this game means anything. Thankfully I missed this fiasco, but willing to wait and see what transpires over the next few weeks

Jeremiah killed us BTW.

11/06/2016 7:20 pm  #64

Duques102 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

VBC and I chatted mid-second half. Talent appears better but it was the same old, "Hey everybody, if you are remotely open just chuck that 3 ball up". Don't face your man up on D, let him blow right by you. Their guards just penetrated to the hoop time after time. Mike Lewis very good at the point but he picked up 3 fouls mid-way through the first period. Once he hit the pine, any semblance of actually setting up plays went with him. D. Lewis played fine as well but he towered over their entire team. Nothing from E. James, Abrahamson, Littleson. Robinson did OK subbing for Lewis. Isiaha Mike will be a very good player but rarely ended up with the ball in his hands. Yeah Castro looked OK but his molasses drives to the hoop ain't gonna happen against A-10 teams. I was very disappointed.

Ken, when their guards were getting to the hoop over and over did you notice why?? WE LITERALLY BITE ON EVERY SINGLE SHOT FAKE. It's ridiculous, we have size matchup advantages all over the floor and as soon as any player slightly pumped on their team, one of our guys went flying through the air leaving them open to drive and if the post defender stepped up they would just dish it to their guy in the post. And on the other side of the ball we pass the ball around the arc because everybody on our team is too freaking scared to put the ball on the floor or try to drive to the lane and penetrate the 3-2 zone everyone plays on us. We play right into every bodies hands, and Ferry makes no adjustments.

We play a d 2 team and defend them like every guy on their team was Steph Curry, watching Ferry try to coach is literally a train wreck. In Zachs article Ferry says he was worried because we had an off practice the day before? That's pathetic Jim. Your worried about a d2 team because you had an off practice? That shouldn't even begin to matter. And then in his article he also said he was worried about their forwards because they were smaller? What the hell does that even mean??? That should be an advantage, that's why Kentucky recruits 7 foot centers, not the 6'6" guys that play at freaking Mansfield. How about you take some responsibility for sucking at being a basketball coach, instead of blaming off practices and undersized bigs.

And sorry El D, you can't pick and choose who you cut slack and who you don't. He has practiced with the team for 2 years and played this entire offseason. He had his knee scoped, it wasn't some major operation. He was outplayed by Mike Lewis 2, Rene Castro and mansfields point guard. I'm not saying he'll never improve but it was a very disappointing outing based on all the hype he was getting which was based on his play in this offseason. That being said Abrahamson and Littleson were the worst players out there yesterday by far for us, and I'm pretty sure they both played more than Eric James. Littleson played a shocking amount of minutes for how bad he looked.

I was giving myself slack because you were clearly taking a shot at me. I don't need to cut anyone slack because I'm not attacking anyone. They lost a meaningless exhibition game and people are acting like aliens landed.

11/07/2016 1:25 am  #65

Was in no way a shot at you. It was a shot at a hopefully not over-hyped player.

11/07/2016 5:02 am  #66

My eyeballs still hurt from what I saw on Saturday. But I'm not going to get worked up over a single exhibition game.

That being said, it is disturbing that the same issues that we have witnessed over the last 4 years showed up in abundance against Mansfield; e.g. perimeter passing, few post entry passes, over-reliance on 3 point shots, lack of overall toughness, no ball pressure on defense, etc.

11/07/2016 7:43 am  #67

Duques102 wrote:

Was in no way a shot at you. It was a shot at a hopefully not over-hyped player.

He's not overhyped since I'm the only one plugging for him. He was Bob Hurley's point guard, he's used to playing with big time players in big moments. He plays defense and can run an offense. A friend who has covered high school hoops in NJ for 35 years told me Smith will help Duquesne.

How much will depend on the coach, the system and the players around him.

His stat line was not awful, BTW. I thought it was alarming that we had a tremendous height advantage and got outrebounded, and I saw that we hoisted threes all day with no success.

That's what I'm worried about.

11/07/2016 9:26 am  #68

Waiting to see what happens this Friday. If more of the same, I can be thankful that I didn't; renew my season tickets for the 2nd year in a row!  But, still hoping this was an aberration an, in fact, this team can still be a winner!

11/07/2016 10:35 am  #69

president wrote:

Waiting to see what happens this Friday. If more of the same, I can be thankful that I didn't; renew my season tickets for the 2nd year in a row!  But, still hoping this was an aberration an, in fact, this team can still be a winner!

More of the same what? They lost to a middle of the road D-II team. I don't care who sat out or who took it seriously. This team has 20 losses written all over it.

11/07/2016 1:41 pm  #70

I talked with another former season ticket holder this morning and he said to me that even if we had no coach on the bench we should beat Mansfield!  His point is it is all about talent.  I get his point, but I do think a good Coach can add X% to a team's performance and this is where the trouble is.  How can any of us rationally believe that Ferry can coach a team to its potential?  There is absolutely no evidence during JF's tenure to cause us to believe that he is capable.  I think myself and 2 others predicted 17 wins (other than someone who predicted around 12) and we were in the minority as most folks predicted more wins.  Unless there is some encouraging results from the first few games, and I may go to see for myself on Friday, I suspect my 17 win projection may also be pie in the sky.  What a bummer.

11/07/2016 4:39 pm  #71

KenOTR73 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Why don't we wait until at least next weekend to see if this game means anything. Thankfully I missed this fiasco, but willing to wait and see what transpires over the next few weeks

Jeremiah killed us BTW.

Great line about Tony Bennett, but you lost me on the "Jeremiah killed us" comment.  I know he's a grad assistant coach so what could he have done?

11/07/2016 5:21 pm  #72

levon1975 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Jeremiah killed us BTW.

Great line about Tony Bennett, but you lost me on the "Jeremiah killed us" comment. I know he's a grad assistant coach so what could he have done?

I'm guessing he was referring to Worthen.

11/07/2016 5:42 pm  #73

WashPaRick wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

Jeremiah killed us BTW.

Great line about Tony Bennett, but you lost me on the "Jeremiah killed us" comment. I know he's a grad assistant coach so what could he have done?

Yeah after watching that game I'm shocked his not on a d1 team. Has to be grades or attitude. The kids shot was pretty ugly but as a 6'7" probably 230 pound wing he can reaLly put the ball on the floor and get to the basket. He was a man among boys out there.

11/07/2016 9:32 pm  #74

WashPaRick wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

Jeremiah killed us BTW.

Correct.

11/07/2016 10:36 pm  #75

Worthen is disturbing since most A-10 teams have a player or players that can drive to the hole with authority, and we may have no defensive answer to that.

This may be going way back, but in the days when we pounded RMU with ease, a local kid who I do not think was even recruited came into Palumbo and drove and dunked on our forward. We lost that game and 6-8 Ricky Cannon embarrassed 6-7 Kevin Price and put up well over twenty plus and got a ton of boards.

With all the young players and newcomers plus our strong and quick forwards transferred out, this could get ugly.

Wonder how that game in Rupp Arena is going to look on National TV.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera