Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2016 7:55 am  #1

Penn St.

Quick turnaround. On the road tomorrow at Penn St. Penn St. was beaten at home in their opener by Albany. They've upgraded their talent, but it's raw. We may be catching a break getting them so early. I'm sure they won't overlook us after the beating we put on them last year. With most of us thinking 10-3, or 9-4 during the ooc schedule, this is the most winnable of the 3 toughest games, and a chance to put ourselves in position to exceed our expectations. It's not a must win game, but it will tell us a lot about the team.

11/12/2016 8:50 am  #2

Re: Penn St.

Some observations from the Loyola game:
1. All the talk about the size on this team, and we still start three guards.
2. Tarin Smith will be just fine.
3. I'm happy to hear that Sanders bulked up ... This, as I've said, is integral to our success this year.
4. For crying out loud, why is there ALWAYS a player suspended when the season starts?

11/12/2016 9:49 am  #3

ElDuque wrote:

3. I'm happy to hear that Sanders bulked up ... This, as I've said, is integral to our success this year.
4. For crying out loud, why is there ALWAYS a player suspended when the season starts?

The most encouraging thing is that there seems to be some defensive improvement. No way do we win scoring 65 points last year. If we can defend, we have a chance to have some success.

11/12/2016 10:25 am  #4

Some observations without rose-color glasses:
1.  The defense of the guards was key to the win.  When was the last time we saw a guard block a shot 25 feet from the hoop?
2.  The guards are playing no more that two feet from their opposite.
3.  The guards now seem to know what it means to switch their man. 
4.  The guards shot selection is vastly improved.
5.  The guards make good decisions with the ball.
6.  The guards did nothing stupid with the ball last night! 
7.  Sanders and Robinson seem to be in the process of sharing time with Darius until one of them decides he should be a regular four, which will allow Mike to move over to the three at times or be rested.  8.  This team has changed dynamics.  They will be a two-point guard team, except for Littleson.  They will be a nose-to-belly defensive team, including Littleson.  They are a more aggressive team on the boards all around.
9.  The freshman and transfers are better players than what we had and what left.
10.  And yes, the pedigree of both Smith and Lewis as guards is evident. 

11/12/2016 11:49 am  #5

Extremely young team and they are quite inexperienced playing together as this team.  This includes the two graduate transfers.  I am very excited to see how they all gel together as this non-conference schedule rolls on.  Can't help but think some of the missed shots are just the nerves of freshmen playing their first D-1 games and that they will start to fall as we progress.  

11/12/2016 12:55 pm  #6

ElDuque wrote:

Does anyone know if this is a carry over of the phone ransom or if Steele committed a new infraction?

11/12/2016 1:39 pm  #7

I was there and I am cautiously optimistic about where this team can go.  As my buddy said to me at the game, Ferry has some "good pieces".  The talent level this year is the best I've seen during JF's tenure.  As Grams and 81 said the defense, especially the guards, looked much improved.  The opposition no longer can just shoot over a 5'9" pg (DC) or a slower 2 guard (Mason).  The depth, length and athleticism of the guards was very encouraging - which is why we really didn't miss Steele.  This recruiting class also bests any I've seen in a while, collectively.  Lewis II, Littleson and Mike come in looking much more polished.  Like El D I was wondering why the starting line-up was 3 guards, but I guess we'll have to see over a few games how that plays out.  My preference is to see Lewis, Mike at the 4 and EJ at the 3.  I don't know what the deal is with JR, but again I am willing to see what happens over a few games. Interestingly, EJ said in the Post-Gazette his role is to come in off the bench and energize and settle down the team - or something to that effect.  Overall it's good to see some quality depth and talent, they just have to gel and find the right combination - which is the task Ferry must handle.  As an aside, how about PSU losing at home and I also read the X only beat Lehigh by 2 or 3 at home!  The X is the 7th ranked team in the country so early games can be full of surprises.

11/12/2016 5:42 pm  #8

Loyola was a pretty bad team; they had only 2 players that were threats on every possession.  Hard to make a judgment regarding defensive improvement at this point.  They still switch way too consistently and softly on high ball screens resulting in easy post entry and mismatches.  We will get a better handle on this tomorrow night.

11/12/2016 5:47 pm  #9

6pm tip on Sunday. Per KenPom:
Dukes #175 at Penn St. #105
Penn St, projected to finish 13th of 14 in the Big Ten
Game prediction: Penn St. by 7, 80-73; Dukes with 25% probability of a win.

11/12/2016 6:48 pm  #10

I say this as a FYI item and not with any intent to continue any discussion of why Steele has not dressed so far.  Ferry has a standard team rule that when a player does something that violates a school or civil (including summary offenses) rule during the off season, the penalty is a two game suspension at the beginning of the basketball season games.  He has held to this policy from day one.  In this case Steele was out for the exhibition and first oc game.

11/13/2016 10:57 am  #11

grammudder wrote:

I say this as a FYI item and not with any intent to continue any discussion of why Steele has not dressed so far.  Ferry has a standard team rule that when a player does something that violates a school or civil (including summary offenses) rule during the off season, the penalty is a two game suspension at the beginning of the basketball season games.  He has held to this policy from day one.  In this case Steele was out for the exhibition and first oc game.

So that begs the question as to why nakye missed one and at this point he's missed two and they were in trouble for an incident in which they were co conspirators.

11/13/2016 11:17 am  #12

Duques102 wrote:

grammudder wrote:

So that begs the question as to why nakye missed one and at this point he's missed two and they were in trouble for an incident in which they were co conspirators.

My guess is nakye was probably more or less just a bystander to the incident.

11/13/2016 12:13 pm  #13

The betting line opened with Penn St. being 7 point favorites. At this price, it seems like the bettors were jumping onto the Nits - the current line has been bet up to 10 points.

11/13/2016 6:45 pm  #14

Ragged game by both teams. Sanders strong on boards so far. Defense good and offense really bad. Castro looked quick in his couple minutes. 

11/13/2016 6:49 pm  #15

Strong drive and lefthanded finish by Sanders.

11/13/2016 7:00 pm  #16

Everyone just stands around on the offensive end. Come one Ferry, get creative in your set design. 

Mike Lewis...gunna love the kid. 

Roll Dukes Roll

11/13/2016 7:58 pm  #17

Folding like a cheap cigar or something like that.

11/13/2016 8:17 pm  #18

WashPaRick wrote:

Folding like a cheap cigar or something like that.

They were smoked like a cheap tent.

We're getting nothing from Blackman and Castro. Guards are leading the team in rebounding, and that needs to change.

11/13/2016 8:19 pm  #19

Didn't anyone else notice how the Dukes came alive on O when Robinson was in there? Then he went back to the pine.

E.B. and Smith were atrocious tonight. 

11/13/2016 8:31 pm  #20

applecorps wrote:

Didn't anyone else notice how the Dukes came alive on O when Robinson was in there? Then he went back to the pine.

E.B. and Smith were atrocious tonight. 

Robinson should be getting more minutes in my opinion. Blackman not living up to the hype yet.

11/13/2016 8:32 pm  #21

That banked three in the last few minutes was a killer. Once again, there were quite a few positives but this team is very much a work in progress. Mike Lewis is a player.

11/13/2016 8:33 pm  #22

Tarin Smith is shooting waaaay to much.

The bigs were 12-17 from the floor. Smith and Blackman 3-20, end of story.

11/13/2016 8:37 pm  #23

In other games tonight that i got to see some of Canisius was up on Kentucky with less then 4 minutes to go to the half before losing by 20 plus and Bobby Mo hanging in at DePaul with 11 minutes to go.

11/13/2016 8:52 pm  #24

I know it's too early, but watching this game it looks to me that this team will not win many games that are the least bit competitive.

11/13/2016 8:54 pm  #25

WashPaRick wrote:

In other games tonight that i got to see some of Canisius was up on Kentucky with less then 4 minutes to go to the half before losing by 20 plus and Bobby Mo hanging in at DePaul with 11 minutes to go.

DePaul is horrible.

Board footera