Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/13/2016 9:03 pm  #26

Re: Penn St.

Tarin Smith is 7-27 on the year. He's going to have to fix that, or he's going to lose minutes. Blackman could lose minutes as well.

11/13/2016 9:06 pm  #27

duq81 wrote:

Tarin Smith is 7-27 on the year. He's going to have to fix that, or he's going to lose minutes. Blackman could lose minutes as well.

Mike Lewis and littleson both look much further along than I thought they would be. Smith clearly has ability but he needs to relax a little.

11/13/2016 9:07 pm  #28

duq81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

In other games tonight that i got to see some of Canisius was up on Kentucky with less then 4 minutes to go to the half before losing by 20 plus and Bobby Mo hanging in at DePaul with 11 minutes to go.

DePaul is horrible.

Any team coached by Ray Meyer can't be horrible. Oh he.'s not there anymore. My bad.

11/13/2016 9:28 pm  #29

Dukes2012 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Mike Lewis and littleson both look much further along than I thought they would be. Smith clearly has ability but he needs to relax a little.

Smith is looking for his shot too much. Run the team, and get your teammates good looks.

11/13/2016 9:28 pm  #30

I was at the game.  Some observations:

First of all, Penn State's freshmen played much better this game than they did against Albany.  I guess their nerves wore off which sucked for us.  We actually kept their best player (Garner) from hurting us, but Stephens and Carr are legit.  These are 4 star kids (legit 4 stars) and it showed.

I agreed about Robinson.  I felt like he was a huge spark.  In fact, I thought all of our big men played really well, and when they got the ball, most of them could create quite well.  Sanders and Robinson are much better than Lewis at putting the ball on the floor for spin moves, but I love Lewis's baby hook.  The foul trouble hurt us a bit tonight, but States centers (including hyped Frosh M. Watkins) couldn't stop any of our big men.    

I. Mike was the frosh getting all of the hype out of the gates, but Lewis and Littleston played much better tonight.  They both have really smooth shots.  Lewis's biggest issue is that he is so small.  Carr was able to shoot over him at will.  

Defense looks much better IMO.  Still, some of the PSU played had wide open looks. They just didn't fall.  

Castro still looks awful IMO.  No amt. of newspaper stories will convince me otherwise.  He is a liability.  

Blackman and Smith looked bad tonight.  

I think this team is very much a work in progress.  The loss was disappointing, but it was a close game against a team that arguably has more talent than us.  I wasn't that upset as I thought we were right in it until PSU had a late run.  

Last edited by Simms (11/13/2016 9:30 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/13/2016 10:37 pm  #31

I was hoping for a very good season from the Dukes boys. But once again I see the best player on the roster sitting on the bench. Coach Ferry is unreal! Why is J Rob continually sitting on the bench? The best player on the team the past 2 years and there he sits on the bench. As this team continues to lose to D2 teams and show zero energy or uninspired wins, the big man from Toronto sits and watches. Unreal. Pack a lunch Dukes faithful! It going to be a long, painful season.......again.

11/14/2016 6:48 am  #32

I think Robinson can be a more useful player, but if he's the best player on this team then there is a serious dearth of talent. That's not being disrespectful either, because I agree he should play more. But Ferry doesn't understand the value of tall basketball players.

Smith will get it together as the season progresses. This is a Bob Hurley kid, unless the chaos of the past four years rubs off on him.

11/14/2016 7:58 am  #33

I agree 100% that Ferry does not understand the value of tall basketball player. But it goes much deeper than that. Ferry could not recognize special players let alone develop them. It is one thing to have talent but it is another thing to have a 'presence' on the court. That is what J Rob brings to the table. Opposing teams adjust their defense or remove their 'bigs' from the court when J Rob makes a rare court appearance. I have seen it happen. TV commentators have described J Rob as a "true post player". Penn St. Game is the latest example. 6 minutes/6 points. J Rob hit a jumper and even scored while double teamed then sat down on the bench the rest of the game. Please explain how that makes sense.

11/14/2016 8:04 am  #34

With Daruis, Saunders and Robinson we have some big guys, but the guard play of Smith and Emile B is crummy at this point, and why does James get so few min. And Castro, the slow motion turnover machine seems to be a waste of playing time.

With our size we could have adjusted to a low post game at times, and for goodness sake keep Robinson in the game more. He could be a killer with his size and offensive ability, but it is hard to get put backs when you are glued to the bench.

There are bright spots here but with the A-10 quickly coming up, they need to improve quickly.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/14/2016 8:43 am  #35

Doubtful this team emerges from OOC schedule  with .500 record.

11/14/2016 9:21 am  #36

Phildog made a great point. "We could have adjusted to a low post game..." Why did we not do that? I mentioned how other coaches make adjustments when J Rob steps on the court. But yet Coach Ferry makes no adjustments during the game. He did this last year and years before that as well. If the talent was not available then I could understand. But the talent is sitting on the bench. This is what makes J Rob's game even more impressive. He comes into these games cold and tight and is able to generate significant points. Imagine if the Dukes had a coach that knew how to switch to a low post game. Robinson would be a double double threat every game and we would be a serious A10 contender. Instead we are in for another season of 'Let's Hope They Miss" (LHTM). Credit to the person who first posted it.

11/14/2016 9:44 am  #37

Offensive looked much better in the second half. Agreed that Tarin just needs to slow down and run the offense...points will come to him. I think its just an off night for Blackmon...not to worried about him.

Love the bigs...although I wish we could get I. Mike a little more involved.

Castro honestly doesn't bother me...if he sticks to 7 or so minutes a game I am okay with that. 

Last and most important note....Eric James? Where has he been?

Roll Dukes Roll

11/14/2016 9:49 am  #38

currentstudent wrote:

Offensive looked much better in the second half. Agreed that Tarin just needs to slow down and run the offense...points will come to him. I think its just an off night for Blackmon...not to worried about him.

Love the bigs...although I wish we could get I. Mike a little more involved.

Castro honestly doesn't bother me...if he sticks to 7 or so minutes a game I am okay with that. 

Last and most important note....Eric James? Where has he been?

Something's up with Eric. He does not look like himself. He appears to have lost a lot of confidence that he was playing with the first half of last season.

11/14/2016 11:56 am  #39

The biggest difference is that last year he was playing with Micah and DC, two experienced guards who were always a threat to score, and so Eric often had room to operate as teams knew the primary threats were D.C., and Micah.  Eric has had some open looks that he hasn't hit.  This team needs Eric to play well.

11/14/2016 12:38 pm  #40

ElDuque wrote:

Smith will get it together as the season progresses. This is a Bob Hurley kid, unless the chaos of the past four years rubs off on him.

Again not a shot at you but this time my comment about smith is directed at you. Don't blame a kids poor performance on something that occurred when he wasn't even here.

That second sentence literally makes no sense. It should read "unless he's not actually as good as we thought, which may be why he left a bigger school." You can take shots at Ferry or anyone you want and I'll accept your opinion, but don't blame a coach or years of losing as to why this kid hasn't lived up to the billing yet, that falls squarely on his shoulders.

Coaches coach, players play. you really think Smith not playing well could be a product of a record or season that occurred years before he got here??

Just saying, I'm on the record as being both positive and critical about all players and all coaches. I'm not a "Ferry" or a "Ron" guy, my only agenda is to see this program become successful.

We need to be objective in our assessments, not be protective of "our guys" and overly critical of "the reason this isn't working". It's an across the board issue and what is black and white is that Smith has been disappointing in 2 of 3 starts (one being against a d2 team) and average in another (low level d1 team). He has a lot to prove at this point, and that's on him nobody else.

The "chaos of the last four years" doesn't seem to be affecting Littleson and Lewis 2, two other first year guys that are definitely outplaying Smith at this point.

Also I agree, I think that bs banked in three was the death knell yesterday, you could feel it as soon as that shot dropped.

Last edited by Duques102 (11/14/2016 12:42 pm)

11/14/2016 12:44 pm  #41

duq81 wrote:

Tarin Smith is shooting waaaay to much.

The bigs were 12-17 from the floor. Smith and Blackman 3-20, end of story.

Good point, their post defense was weak and should have been exploited to a greater degree.  I would just pounded it down low until they stopped it.  Guards must realize IMMEDIATELY that this is "big boy" basketball and starting on the wing and just forcing the drive to the hoop against 3-4 defenders is a recipe for a blocked shot and a loss of possession.  Teams that succeed at any level of basketball must value possessions.  This seems to be a common thread with many of our newcomers from year to year.  Eventually I hope they learn from being swatted so often!

Last edited by levon1975 (11/14/2016 11:56 pm)

11/14/2016 12:59 pm  #42

Duques102 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Again not a shot at you but this time my comment about smith is directed at you. Don't blame a kids poor performance on something that occurred when he wasn't even here.

That second sentence literally makes no sense. It should read "unless he's not actually as good as we thought, which may be why he left a bigger school." You can take shots at Ferry or anyone you want and I'll accept your opinion, but don't blame a coach or years of losing as to why this kid hasn't lived up to the billing yet, that falls squarely on his shoulders.

Coaches coach, players play. you really think Smith not playing well could be a product of a record or season that occurred years before he got here??

Just saying, I'm on the record as being both positive and critical about all players and all coaches. I'm not a "Ferry" or a "Ron" guy, my only agenda is to see this program become successful.

We need to be objective in our assessments, not be protective of "our guys" and overly critical of "the reason this isn't working". It's an across the board issue and what is black and white is that Smith has been disappointing in 2 of 3 starts (one being against a d2 team) and average in another (low level d1 team). He has a lot to prove at this point, and that's on him nobody else.

The "chaos of the last four years" doesn't seem to be affecting Littleson and Lewis 2, two other first year guys that are definitely outplaying Smith at this point.

Also I agree, I think that bs banked in three was the death knell yesterday, you could feel it as soon as that shot dropped.

Chaos of the past 4 years = Ferry's style.

11/14/2016 12:59 pm  #43

To be fair to Tarin, it should be noted that due to surgery on his knee he missed a crucial month of practice just prior to the opening game.  That is huge in that it takes time to rebuild your legs from an endurance and strength standpoint when you have been inactive for a month.  The legs are so important to a shooter; you need a strong base from which you can build your shot.  Factor in the lack of work with his team certainly hurts the continuity.  I think we need to give him time to catch up!!

Last edited by levon1975 (11/14/2016 1:02 pm)

11/14/2016 1:05 pm  #44

levon1975 wrote:

To be fair to Tarin, it should be noted that due to surgery on his knee he missed a crucial month of practice just prior to the opening game.  That is huge in that it takes time to rebuild your legs from an endurance and strength standpoint when you have been inactive for a month.  The legs are so important to a shooter; you need a strong base from which you can build your shot.  Factor in the lack of work with his team certainly hurts the continuity.  I think we need to give him time to catch up!!

Yeah he had 8 days of practice before Friday's game. I'm not going to start making any permanent judgments on his game at this point. If a month down the road he is still struggling, then I might be concerned.

11/14/2016 1:47 pm  #45

levon1975 wrote:

To be fair to Tarin, it should be noted that due to surgery on his knee he missed a crucial month of practice just prior to the opening game. That is huge in that it takes time to rebuild your legs from an endurance and strength standpoint when you have been inactive for a month. The legs are so important to a shooter; you need a strong base from which you can build your shot. Factor in the lack of work with his team certainly hurts the continuity. I think we need to give him time to catch up!!

All true, but he's taking too many shots. Unless he's a true stud, your point guard shouldn't be leading the team in shots taken. His awful shooting wouldn't hurt as much if he was only taking 8-9 shots instead of nearly 14

11/14/2016 5:27 pm  #46

If anyone could tell me who SHOULD be taking shots right now, I'd like to know. No one's knocking my socks off right now.

I would have thought James, Blackman and Abrahamson, but one's hurt and the other two haven't found rhythm yet.

11/14/2016 5:49 pm  #47

ElDuque wrote:

If anyone could tell me who SHOULD be taking shots right now, I'd like to know. No one's knocking my socks off right now.

I would have thought James, Blackman and Abrahamson, but one's hurt and the other two haven't found rhythm yet.

I think that's the problem with this team, it's not a question of who but how many. I've watched all three games and been to two, and I can confidently say from what I've seen so far that the strength of this team is not settling for outside shots, which we have been doing.

As reflected by other posters, the bigs have been effective WHEN given opportunities, which to this point have been limited. Lewis 2, Blackman, and especially smith have shown an ability to get to the rack and finish effectively that we have not seen in recent years. I think that is what we need to be effective. An offensive game focused on getting to the basket and pounding the ball inside. These are also James strength as well.

I repeat, this is not a shooting team. Gill, Micah, Jackson and Colter were effective shooters, they are all gone.

11/15/2016 12:05 am  #48

I haven't seen any of these guys get to the hoop as well as DC did over the last four years; so we have seen guards effectively get to the hoop in recent years.  The biggest difference is that DC was usually able to avoid the shot blockers and get his shot off.

11/15/2016 6:01 am  #49

levon1975 wrote:

I haven't seen any of these guys get to the hoop as well as DC did over the last four years; so we have seen guards effectively get to the hoop in recent years.  The biggest difference is that DC was usually able to avoid the shot blockers and get his shot off.

We've disagreed on this before. I hated seeing him in traffic because it often ended in a blocked shot or turnover. But I never disagreed about the need to attack the basket because launching hopeless 3s all night never worked.

11/15/2016 8:47 am  #50

Every comment on this page with respect to offensive sets goes back to Coaching, Coaching, Coaching....

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera