Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2016 9:41 am  #51

Re: Penn St.

levon1975 wrote:

I haven't seen any of these guys get to the hoop as well as DC did over the last four years; so we have seen guards effectively get to the hoop in recent years.  The biggest difference is that DC was usually able to avoid the shot blockers and get his shot off.

Have to disagree here. Not saying he never got to the rim and finished, but I remember a lot more blocked shots, bricked layups because he had to adjust so dramatically mid shot and turnovers.

Dc was a great player, and one of the few guys I've seen in 6 years of following this program that had that killer instinct to take a game over late and make a big shot. At times it sucked when you watched him and it was very obvious to see that he was limited by his size, which he couldn't do anything about. This was never more apparent then a) when he was defending on the perimeter and b) trying to take the ball to the basket.

Dc was excellent at finishing at the rim when on a fast break or in transition and had one guy to beat, maybe this is what you are referring to. I'm referring more to getting to the basket in a half court offense where the d is set up and the guard has to beat his primary defender and then take contact underneath and finish among the trees. Blackman and smith are much bigger and stronger and actually quicker as well which allows them to finish strong at the basket.

Last edited by Duques102 (11/15/2016 9:43 am)

11/15/2016 10:09 am  #52

Agree with D102 and El D as to DC, great competitor, but limited because of his size and frankly probably forced too much.  That being said, DC on a roster like this would have been a great instant "O" type of player off the bench if the other guards were struggling.....ala Downtown Freddie Brown!  Anyway, I don't see us as a great 3 point team so we should clearly play to our strengths - drive to the hoop or look inside, with 3s taken when open.  Coaching, coaching, coaching.  I do see talent on this roster and as I said right before season will Ferry be able to meld this team together and get the most out of it.  I remain a skeptic.  JR at PSU, 6 minutes - 6 pts and 2 rebounds.  I just don't get JF's refusal to play to is strengths - sort of like Narduzzi sticking with his man to man for corners who never turn their head to look for the ball!!!

11/15/2016 10:13 am  #53

Pete, I agree. Short term, we are really missing DC and Micah's instant offense. However, the defense already appears to be improving without them, so if we can develop the confidence and offensive game of these kids, we will be better off long term.

11/15/2016 1:24 pm  #54

DC is that perfect example of the player who wouldn't have been here if he was 3 inches taller. You see them all the time. The 5'10" point guard, the 6'4" forward, the 6'6" center. Some of these guys can really play, but their size puts a ceiling on how high they can climb.

Board footera