Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2016 11:54 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Canisius

I was there, which will be the last time I go, but simply put, you don't lose this game.  Foul shots or whatever, I don't t want to analyze it, we just lost to Canisius at home fella's, end of story.  Call me next year.

11/19/2016 2:53 am  #27

Once again, a Ferry coached defense allows the opponent to come into Palumbo and drain 3 pointers. Canisius was 13-26 from the 3. For the year, teams are shooting 40% from the 3 against the Dukes. Ferry was right, our taller guards do help us close out on the shooters better... last year, opponents shot 40.2% from the 3. Progress is being made, so we need to have patience. Abe please remember that it takes time to build a program the right way.

11/19/2016 8:45 am  #28

insideout wrote:

For those of you who were looking for J Rob he was sitting on the bench getting zero playing time while freshmen and walk ons continue to play.

I don't get it either.  J Rob should be in the mix.  I also don't understand why Darius Lewis was on the bench for the last six or eight minutes.  It seems that whatever team we play we give up our advantage and play to the other teams strength. There is also too much selfish play and dribbling.  They on the other hand were sharing the ball and looked really sharp in their offense.  They had 24 assists and we had 11.  

BTW what was the crowd, 200? I hope Harper is paying attention.  

11/19/2016 8:48 am  #29

Ferry couldn't call a timeout fast enough? Cat had his tongue? Team not prepared that everyone screams for TO after a make?

Lame. Just lame.

For those calling for big men to play, it's just not his style. If the other team goes small, why would you pound the ball inside if they couldn't stop it? That's just dumb blogger thinking. Ferry's been to the NCAA Tournament, you know.

He said, sarcastically.

11/19/2016 10:08 am  #30

ElDuque wrote:

Ferry couldn't call a timeout fast enough? Cat had his tongue? Team not prepared that everyone screams for TO after a make?

Lame. Just lame.

ED, spot on. Watch the replay included in the game highlight video at goDuquesne.com.
1. Mike's jumper occurs right in front of your own bench.
2. Sanders has the ball in his hands after the shot goes thru the basket.
3. Sanders drops the ball on the court, and the inbounder (Valenti) had to pick up the ball and step back out of bounds to inbound.
4. An official is standing near Ferry the entire time.
5. Ferry is motioning for his team to get back on defense and raise their hands.
6. The trailer, Valenti, was not picked up by the defense until it was too late.
I saw no attempt by Ferry to gesture for a time out or look at and try to engage the official. To me, this was another of Ferry's Fantasyland excuses.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (11/19/2016 10:38 am)

11/19/2016 10:12 am  #31

Unfortunately, except for the handful of people who post on this board, no one cares about Duquesne basketball.  I agree with Iron Duke81 that donating money to this program is a total waste.  Every year we are sucked in by the promise that some of the new players are better than what we've seen in the past and we hope that the coaching will be better and as a result the team will be better--and then reality sets in when the games begin.  I do not claim to be a good judge of basketball talent but from what I've seen the talent seems to be better.  I also am not knowledgeable enough about basketball coaching and strategy to say that Ferry is just not a good enough coach to win games that his team should win but that's the way it seems to me.  Losing to Canisius at home signals that this team will struggle greatly all year.  I, for one, will watch from a distance and will not donate money to the program and I will not become emotionally involved with Duquesne basketball--it's just a waste of time.

11/19/2016 10:13 am  #32

I'm glad now I didn't drive in to see this one. Now, looking at the go Duquesne site, 8 players had stats. Littleson had 2 rebounds and 1 foul so I'm assuming he played maybe 3 or 4 minutes. So, once again, with this deep bench we now have, he's playing 7 guys. EJ had no stats. Did he even get in. What's up with this guy. Last year we lose Jeremiah and it throws the whole season down the crapper. If you don't play people, how do you expect them to perform when they have to. I'm totally lost on Robinson. Yeah, his D is suspect but they don't coach D anyway. He's quick around the basket, has nice post moves. He should be getting at least 6-7 minutes a half. This guy makes Danny Nee look like coach K.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/19/2016 11:33 am  #33

Anybody who has been watching the numbers closely can confirm that J. Rob has been one of the top point producers the past 3 years. If you crunch the numbers based on points per minute J. Rob has been averaging around. 0.45 points/ minute. Consistently. That ranks up there with Micah, DC or whoever you choose. That means every 2 minutes J. Rob plays he gets 1 point. Last year during the CBI tourney J. Rob got 17 points in 18 minutes. That is the guy Coach Ferry wants sitting on the bench?! Really?! Have you ever seen J.Rob back down or show any fear against any player or team? I have not. Shame on Coach Ferry for wasting a talent and depriving the Dukes fans of an opportunity to watch this kid in action.

Last edited by insideout (11/19/2016 11:36 am)

11/19/2016 12:26 pm  #34

Well I went last night and was crossing my fingers that they would pull it out, but now I can go back to staying away and not get myself seriously aggravated by Ferry's Dukes.  I was so pissed off last night my kids even said "why do you go if it gets you so upset", and you know they are right.  All posters are right about everything from lack of interest, not playing JRob and missing fouls (it did cost us the game). What makes me sick is that there is some talent on this roster, but you can't go 10 minutes and 39 seconds with 12:04 to play and not get a field goal (see PG article).  Well its true that during that stretch they were getting fouled, but the free throw shooting was atrocious in my view - 21 of 32!!  Are you friggin kidding me!  And think about a number of those missed fouls being on the front end of a 1 and 1.  You need to shoot at least 75% to 80% from the foul line in D1 ball, 65.62% does not cut it.  How about these stats: 0-7 from the 3 in the second half and 4-17 overall and yet when missing like that NO JROB!!  Would a reporter please ask Ferry why he rides the pine when he is your best offensive big man and your 3 point shooting is horrid????  Darius can't make a 2' consistently to save his life and yet Robinson sits.  I'm sorry, his offensive production outweighs whatever deficiency he purportedly has on D - and it's not like the rest of the team plays shut down D!.  All of those bad stats and we still should have won.  Just can't take it.  As Iron Duke says, only a few miserable souls like us even care.  We could have pounded it inside against PSU and we could have done it against Canisius, but no, we have to run that stupid  offensive weave incessantly from the top of the key.  At least do a different set to throw it inside to keep the other team off balance. And no EJ at all when his experience could have been used in that second half dry spell and he HAS HIT some clutch foul shots - that is how we won the opener.  What is the mystery there????  I like Mike L, but his foul shooting was costly.  Oh well, I'm rambling now.  Sorry guys, just can't take it.   

Board footera