Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2016 8:56 am  #1

Ferry's quotes on DK Pittsburgh Sports

Can you please take accountability as the head coach? Just once?

11/19/2016 9:29 am  #2

Re: Ferry's quotes on DK Pittsburgh Sports

This most likely be the last year of this ill fated regime , but we must endure the possible carnage these lads will face.

Perhaps there is a coach available that can school players in game situations, like when you score to take the lead with nine seconds left on your home court, players are taught to run to the nearest ref shouting time out!

Then you insert your 7 footer and your 6-8 power forward on the inbound entry and don't allow the ball to come up court for a game winning shot, or something like that . I see this time after time in close games at other programs, so what I described isn't a secret weapon unknown in coaching circles.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/19/2016 11:10 am  #3

Phil, you're talking "strategy" now. Not sure the program has progressed far enough for that.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/19/2016 11:43 am  #4

I have been saying this for years...just sayin!!!  When you get blown out often it is recruiting, not coaching...that the coach is Still responsible for but it wasn't his during game coaching.  When you lose close games like this - when you were ahead - it is not always, but usually coaching.  I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone that this coach was not the first choice of the previous AD, it was the man from Akron.  This coach was a Hail Mary - who DU had to pay a lot of money to because he would only come for a lot of money - which says something about DU basketball and the program itself.  Anybody wanna bet a beer that he will be back next year no matter what the record - the new Mantra will be "I have some really good recruits coming in."  I am ranting because I am so sick and tired of us losing. I know folks were excited about beating St. Francis...that is how low we have gone.  Okay, feel better now.  Hopefully we turn this around and get to the NIT or NCAA this year.

Last edited by FAM (11/19/2016 11:48 am)

11/19/2016 11:49 am  #5

Phildog wrote:

This most likely be the last year of this ill fated regime , but we must endure the possible carnage these lads will face.

Perhaps there is a coach available that can school players in game situations, like when you score to take the lead with nine seconds left on your home court, players are taught to run to the nearest ref shouting time out!

Then you insert your 7 footer and your 6-8 power forward on the inbound entry and don't allow the ball to come up court for a game winning shot, or something like that . I see this time after time in close games at other programs, so what I described isn't a secret weapon unknown in coaching circles.

I would have called the time out, but there is a school of thought that a time out helps the other team by letting them set up a play. To me, it depends on the teams playing. If I have a veteran team that knows how to win, I don't call a time out. Since that doesn't describe us, a time out was the right call.

11/19/2016 1:34 pm  #6

ElDuque wrote:

I listened to the postgame interview on the radio & the postgame press conference on the web site.  It's like listening to Danny Nee all over again.

11/19/2016 1:57 pm  #7

You are right.  I just hope I never hear from J. Durham what he said after Ferry's second year that Ferry proclaimed,  (You have to learn how to lose before you can learn how to win.)  I didn't know what was worse...Ferry saying that garbage or JD repeating it like it was accurate.  Hey Ferry, I think you know how to lose...how about learning how to win!  

Last edited by FAM (11/19/2016 1:58 pm)

11/19/2016 2:15 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

I would have called the time out, but there is a school of thought that a time out helps the other team by letting them set up a play. To me, it depends on the teams playing. If I have a veteran team that knows how to win, I don't call a time out. Since that doesn't describe us, a time out was the right call.

What gets me is that Ferry inferred that they wanted to call time out, but Canisius inbounded the ball so quickly that he couldn't. 100% bull. Watch the replay; there was plenty of time (as I noted in the other game day thread).

11/19/2016 2:48 pm  #9

Phoenix, after I posted I went back and watched the game highlight on the DU website and you are 100% correct about Ferry being full of brown stuff.  The C player wasn't even out of bounds yet in order to in-bound the ball and Ferry was frantically waiving for the kids to go down court!!  JF had a ref just to his right and had ample time to get that ref's attention after shot went down by I Mike.  Gotcha Jimmy, and the tape proves it.  What is gut wrenching is we make a couple foul shots and we win the game.  Same old, same old. 

11/19/2016 3:30 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

He's got some excuses in his pocket, Two of the players he was heavily counting on weren't available for the whole season. One with a broken arm and one due to suspension. If he hasn't used that yet it probably won't be long.

11/19/2016 4:19 pm  #11

Rick, here is another , one of the players he was counting on graduated, passed up a forth year as a starting power forward to foolishly go to Top 25 Maryland in the Big 10 as a starting power forward (6-8' , 230 Lb) on a undefeated team.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera