Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2016 10:32 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Kentucky

ElDuque wrote:

Ooh, we're about to be the answer to a trivia question (back to back #1 picks).

And these a-hole announcers still find a way to dig at us, largely because of their ignorance of history.

11/20/2016 10:34 pm  #27

Dukes2012 wrote:

Other than the paycheck, why even play this game? How much do we really get out of this?

What do we get out of losing to DII teams?

11/20/2016 10:34 pm  #28

Eric James is officially broken. I think he's turned the ball over every time he's touched it.

11/20/2016 10:36 pm  #29

IronDukes12 wrote:

It won't make up for some of the misery Duquesne's long-suffering fans have had to endure the past three or four decades, but it would be nice to see the Dukes throw a mild scare into the heavily-favored Wildcats.  Of course, an unexpected miracle in Lexington tonight would be even sweeter.

Let's Go Iron Dukes!  

Yeah, well that lasted about a minute.  2-0 DU and then "gee did we actually really expect anything different?"

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/20/2016 10:36 pm  #30

Dear Jim Ferry. Please do not put J ROB back in. His style of play would really mess with whatever strategy you have.

11/20/2016 10:37 pm  #31

Glad to see Mike take it strong.

11/20/2016 10:39 pm  #32

Ironduke81 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Who feeds the announcers the B.S. about Ferry and how he is trying to resurrect a shambles of a program. When the announcers made this statement I thought this is getting sick.   This is not about the previous coach, but the record.
17-13, 21-13, 16-16, 19-13, 16-15 were Everharts last 5 years
   8-22, 13-17, 12-19, 17-17, and so far this year a losing record.

It is now that this program is in shambles!

Probably Coach Ferry based upon pre game discussions or introductions to the announcers. Shambles my arse next level coach. Charlie set this program back 10 years after Rons termination or hatchet job by the Quinipiac Clown.Good luck to the new Prez & AD this without a doubt is the lowest point in Duquesne basketball history especially from a fan base interest .

And as I have said on several occasions I won't be here for it! Ferry is my last shot. Not putting up with another "rebuilding program" I am 51 now and HAVE NEVER SEEN Duquesne in the NCAA since I was in junior high. Not supporting the next five year plan to get us there, when I am close to Sixty

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/20/2016 10:39 pm  #33

Yes Duquesne was National Champion with those two First Team All-America players, Green taken ahead of Bill Russell in 56. We never played Kentucky in those days because the racist Adolf Rupp would not play a team that had so called "colored players".

We recruited some of the best and were a National Power.

Yes, we also had one of our best ever coaches leave to teach high school because the fathers paid him so little, back in the day......

A diehard fan since 1961

11/20/2016 10:39 pm  #34

ElDuque wrote:

Glad to see Mike take it strong.

Mike's had a bad game offensively tonight but I've been encouraged with his willingness to compete. He's attacked the glass a couple times with those long, freakish Kentucky athletes.

11/20/2016 10:40 pm  #35

ElDuque wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Ooh, we're about to be the answer to a trivia question (back to back #1 picks).

And these a-hole announcers still find a way to dig at us, largely because of their ignorance of history.

As I have said repeatedly, we HAVE NO HISTORY!!!!!!  No one cares about NIT wins or Chuck Cooper before the invention of color television!!!!!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/20/2016 10:42 pm  #36

Phildog wrote:

Yes Duquesne was National Champion with those two First Team All-America players, Green taken ahead of Bill Russell in 56. We never played Kentucky in those days because the racist Adolf Rupp would not play a team that had so called "colored players".

Yes, we also had one of our best ever coaches leave to teach high school because the fathers paid him so little, back in the day......

Here's my impression of the average college hoops fan: "If my yawn were any bigger, they would have to assign it a hurricane name!"

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/20/2016 10:44 pm  #37

Ok, who had the over on 40 points?

11/20/2016 10:48 pm  #38

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Here's my impression of the average college hoops fan: "If my yawn were any bigger, they would have to assign it a hurricane name!"

What, no puppies to whip?

11/20/2016 10:49 pm  #39

Has Littleston made a 3 this year?

A diehard fan since 1961

11/20/2016 10:54 pm  #40

ElDuque wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Do you have a point?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/20/2016 11:03 pm  #41

Tejas_Duke wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Do you have a point?

Yeah, why disparage Ricketts and Green, both of whom had great careers, just because it happened before your time? We're all discouraged my friend.

11/20/2016 11:08 pm  #42

Hey we only lost by 7 in the second half! Nothing we can do other than get a few good days of practice in and then try to get a win on Wednesday.

11/20/2016 11:09 pm  #43

ElDuque wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Do you have a point?

Yeah, why disparage Ricketts and Green, both of whom had great careers, just because it happened before your time? We're all discouraged my friend.

Do we have to go over this again? Please take notes;  our history with Ricketts and Green etc.  means about as much as the Canton Bulldogs being the top NFL power in the 1920s!  Is it a nice fact?  Does it have historical signifigance?  Yes!  But the fact that most of the people who remember or, were even fans of the  program when that happened, are now DEAD, and we have not been relevant in over four decades. No one cares! the media don't care! Tonight's pro Kentucky announcers don't care!  None of this history matters until we matter again! And after the start of this year, sad to say, we will never matter again!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/20/2016 11:09 pm  #44

90% from the free throw line. Whoopie ding! Two days too late boys.

11/20/2016 11:18 pm  #45

Tejas_Duke wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Do you have a point?

Do we have to go over this again? Please take notes;  our history with Ricketts and Green etc.  means about as much as the Canton Bulldogs being the top NFL power in the 1920s!  Is it a nice fact?  Does it have historical signifigance?  Yes!  But the fact that most of the people who remember or, were even fans of the  program when that happened, are now DEAD, and we have not been relevant in over four decades. No one cares! the media don't care! Tonight's pro Kentucky announcers don't care!  None of this history matters until we matter again! And after the start of this year, sad to say, we will never matter again!

We're all frustrated. But still no reason to kick our own history in the nuts. Doesn't mean anything to the rest of the world, as those moron talking heads proved, but having had the chance myself to meet someone like Chuck Cooper, I'll always have respect.

11/20/2016 11:27 pm  #46

ElDuque wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

We're all frustrated. But still no reason to kick our own history in the nuts. Doesn't mean anything to the rest of the world, as those moron talking heads proved, but having had the chance myself to meet someone like Chuck Cooper, I'll always have respect.

Well I am getting less frustrated! I finally told my wife as I kept hitting the FF button on the DVR in the first half, "Well the good news is you won't ever have to listen to me talk about Duquesne basketball again!  I am done when they fire Jim Ferry at the end of this year!" My (foreign born who really doesn't get the obsession with sports at all) wife, "Then why do you waste your time watching this?" 

That was hard for me to answer.  Two and three and two close wins against GARBAGE opponents, and a blowout loss against mediocre Penn State, oh yeah and a loss to a GARBAGE opponent, and I know for a fact that the NIT, let alone the Big Dance are not in the cards this year and Ferry will be fired!  I have already told Dave Harper, that the minute he heads to the mic to tell us how the guy replacing Jim Ferry is the guy to lead us to blah.....blah....blah.....blah.... is the day I am rid of this multi-decade stinking, reeking excuse for a college basketball program foreverl

$60,000 will be going to some other cause worthy of it and I will be done.  As the alcoholics say, "acceptance is the first step" well tonight I think I accepted things!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/20/2016 11:30 pm  #47

I got to speak by phone with MickyWinograd, point guard on 55 NIT. Champs team.

He played with Dick Ricketts, the best ever to play college basketball in Pittsburgh.

This guy dominated the college game in his day.

Micky was one of the great Jewish players coming out of NJ, and we got him.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/20/2016 11:30 pm  #48

Phildog wrote:

He played with Dick Ricketts, the best ever to play college basketball in Pittsburgh.

So what!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/20/2016 11:34 pm  #49

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Phildog wrote:

So what!

Nothing personal Phil, but this is just more of the backward looking circle jerk we have been doing for four plus decades. My apologies, nothing personal, but this has gotten old. When Ferry gets fired, as he will, at the end of the season, I am done!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/21/2016 5:45 am  #50

Tejas I don't understand your position regarding the history of the program but I respect it and hope you respect the pride us olttimers have in it.

The so-what about it is that it exists and it isn't going away. I have a framed, autographed photo of the Steel Curtain in my office that doesn't make the current Steelers any better but is a good memory for me.

So now I'm done on this topic, myself.

I want to make a point before we move on from the Kentucky game. We have good players on our roster who were used to dominating at the high school level. Kentucky is loaded with NBA players. I want to give our kids a pat on the back for stepping up to the challenge. Smith, Lewis, Mike, Sanders, Lewis and others showed some good things in flashes. Not 40 minutes, but enough to make me think we have some talent.

It's one thing for us to park our fat asterisks on a sofa, drink beer, and criticize, but they went out there and played they best.

Something to be said for that.

Board footera