Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2016 6:53 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Kentucky

ElDuque wrote:

Tejas I don't understand your position regarding the history of the program but I respect it and hope you respect the pride us olttimers have in it.

The so-what about it is that it exists and it isn't going away. I have a framed, autographed photo of the Steel Curtain in my office that doesn't make the current Steelers any better but is a good memory for me.

So now I'm done on this topic, myself.

I want to make a point before we move on from the Kentucky game. We have good players on our roster who were used to dominating at the high school level. Kentucky is loaded with NBA players. I want to give our kids a pat on the back for stepping up to the challenge. Smith, Lewis, Mike, Sanders, Lewis and others showed some good things in flashes. Not 40 minutes, but enough to make me think we have some talent.

It's one thing for us to park our fat asterisks on a sofa, drink beer, and criticize, but they went out there and played they best.

Something to be said for that.

I agree. They competed well. I thought Blackman had a good game. However, we just couldn't get any shots to fall. If we had even an average shooting night, the score would have been much more respectable.

11/21/2016 10:16 am  #52

Re: Game Thread - Kentucky

ElDuque wrote:

Tejas I don't understand your position regarding the history of the program but I respect it and hope you respect the pride us olttimers have in it.

I want to make a point before we move on from the Kentucky game. We have good players on our roster who were used to dominating at the high school level. Kentucky is loaded with NBA players. I want to give our kids a pat on the back for stepping up to the challenge. Smith, Lewis, Mike, Sanders, Lewis and others showed some good things in flashes. Not 40 minutes, but enough to make me think we have some talent.

Something to be said for that.

Yes, I can see that, and early in the game I was impressed in small stretches about how well they rebounded, fighting off much more talented bigs, showing grit and hustle.  And I thought. Why the hell didn't you do that against the garbage you just lost too. And then there's the coaching issue. All that talent and a head coach who has no clue about how to implement it, strategize for it or make anything work!

I was thinking this the other day. of all the head coaches (DAP excepted because I never saw one game either live or on tv) I have seen, I can think of at least one game where the coach rose to the occasion and won a close game, John Carroll's win against Pete Gilhen in 93 against Xavier is probably my favorite live game ever, but Ferry has not won a single game in the closing minutes. Usually it's a loss or the other team misses the three that would have won it.!  Zero! This guy is an absolute zero as a head coach.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera