Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2016 11:17 pm  #1

YOu know what's funny?

For the last five years, every time I have seen the Dukes on any kind of regional or national TV, the announcers talk about how Ferry took over a decimated program (you know the one that went to the NIT, and two other post season tourneys) and was rebuilding it, and was doing such a great job at it, despite all evidence to the contrary.

So what are they going to say about Ferry's guaranteed replacement next year!

I won't be here to see it, but I am curious as to how that is going to be spun.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/21/2016 7:12 am  #2

Re: YOu know what's funny?

Tejas_Duke wrote:

For the last five years, every time I have seen the Dukes on any kind of regional or national TV, the announcers talk about how Ferry took over a decimated program (you know the one that went to the NIT, and two other post season tourneys) and was rebuilding it, and was doing such a great job at it, despite all evidence to the contrary.

I tend to think that those who say he took over a decimated program, are looking at the last 40 years, as opposed to what we were when Ron was here. Have to keep in mind that the tv guys mostly cover a lot of teams that have had significant success, like NCAA runs, so what Ron did doesn't make much of an impression with them. In their world, if you don't dance, you haven't done much. They especially won't be impressed with making the CBI. Hell, even Ferry has done that.

11/21/2016 8:57 am  #3

Last night I turned off the game at halftime and switched to Westworld on HBO.  I couldn't help but think that my fandom resembled one of the robots of the park, constantly repeating the same cycle over and over again.  That said, I will not judge this team by this loss.  Very few teams (Pitt included) would be competitive with Kentucky.  I will be judging this team based upon the results in the A10 and for the remainder of the schedule.  I think we have talent, so I am looking for that talent to improve.  If the coaching staff can make the players better (something I have high doubts about) then I will be pleasantly surprised.  If the team continues to struggle, then I will be excited to see who Dave Harper is looking for to improve our program.  

Tejas, I admire your attempts to be done with the program, but rooting for this team is like abusing an illegal substance.  You know deep down in your hear that it is harming your body, yet you are addicted to those fleeting moments (like upsetting Xavier at Palumbo)  that give you a high.  I think you will find quitting on the team to be easier said than done.  Also, before anyone accuses me, I have never used a drug in my life, lol.  I just felt it was a fitting analogy.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/21/2016 9:43 am  #4

Tejas,
I posted this exact same point in the Duke game thread last night - same message- I also included the last five years WL record of Ferry and the Win/Loss Record of the coach before him.  What I will disagree with some is that Ferry will be back.  His Teflon coaching and narratives even has the new AD fooled.

11/21/2016 10:01 am  #5

FAM wrote:

Tejas,
I posted this exact same point in the Duke game thread last night - same message- I also included the last five years WL record of Ferry and the Win/Loss Record of the coach before him. What I will disagree with some is that Ferry will be back. His Teflon coaching and narratives even has the new AD fooled.

a ten win season, crowds measured in double digits, Harper will have no choice

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/21/2016 10:12 am  #6

A couple things here.

1. I still think we win at least 15 games this year. We are only one game behind schedule at this point from where I thought we'd be. You can see that the talent is there, they just need to keep growing as a team and hope shots start falling.

2. Ferry will be here next year, regardless. Economic realities prevent his early firing. There's no way the school would pony up the money to buy out his contact.

So instead of talking about doomsday scenarios which, unfortunately is a yearly occurrence with Duquesne basketball given the last 40 years, let's see what this young but obviously talented team can do as they get some experience and confidence.

11/21/2016 10:18 am  #7

Dukes2012 wrote:

A couple things here.

1. I still think we win at least 15 games this year. We are only one game behind schedule at this point from where I thought we'd be. You can see that the talent is there, they just need to keep growing as a team and hope shots start falling.

2. Ferry will be here next year, regardless. Economic realities prevent his early firing. There's no way the school would pony up the money to buy out his contact.

So instead of talking about doomsday scenarios which, unfortunately is a yearly occurrence with Duquesne basketball given the last 40 years, let's see what this young but obviously talented team can do as they get some experience and confidence.

One caveat though to your reasoning. Wait until I Mike, Mike Lewis and Littleson all transfer next year!  Then they will have to make a move, and as I said, a move I will not be here to see the results.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/21/2016 10:21 am  #8

Dukes2012 wrote:

A couple things here.

And we supposed to be over-joyed at a fifteen win season? Another step back in year 5, in which we were at least supposed to be an NIT level team by now?  Really, and they are going to keep him around for that?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/21/2016 10:28 am  #9

I  don't think the end score should be surprising to anyone. I look at this game as a brutal mulligan.  I am hoping that this team will regroup, get better and have a winning season. Realistically I see this team continuing to struggle, mainly because I have no confidence in the coaching staff to develop or coach these kids.  I honestly hope he will prove me wrong, and the Dukes have a winning season.  With two years left on Ferry's contract, however, Harper will either have to extend or fire.  A losing season and an empty Palumbo will seal Ferry's fate.      

11/21/2016 10:38 am  #10

1. Valid point Tejas. Where they get that from is Ferry himself. That's been his story since he arrived, even though Everhart got the boot with what, four consecutive winning or non-losing seasons?
2. FAM, I don't think Harper is oblivious to what is happening. I think Ferry's contract may be prohibitive.
3. Simms, I think maybe Waterworld might be a more appropriate film analogy sometimes.
4. duq81, no one is impressed with the CBI, but Ron turned the Nee shipwreck (spawned by the Satalin, Edgar, and Porter bed messing regimes) into an NIT bid within three seasons. The fact that Ferry has had his own players the past three seasons without so much as an indication that we could ever be more than "10 teams ahead of us Jimmy" would make a halfway decent talking head demonstrate that he is much smarter than the rest of the pack.

But there are too few talking heads for which I have any tolerance, much less respect.

11/21/2016 12:07 pm  #11

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I'm frustrated as hell with this team so far too but 2 quick thoughts:

1. We have lost at least one game this year we should have won but why is this the game you chose to go off the deep end about this team, the program, the coach and the ad? Like did you actually expect us to win this game, or more realistically, not get our doors blown off? This game meant nothing to me because anyone who knows anything about college basketball would expect us to get our ass kicked, I'm partially surprised it wasn't a bigger margin. That team had like 7 or 8 guys that will have extended careers in the NBA and 3 or 4 that will be top ten draft picks so again, what did you expect from that outing?

2. If your done, be done. I thought this board was for the purpose of talking about the team and program, not continually and repeatedly slamming the coach, ad, and players repeating yourself and just making the same points over and over. They should have beat canisius easily and I attribute the failure equally to Ferry not being able to maintain a double digit second half lead which we also saw last year as well as leaving 11 FREAKIG POINTS AT THE LINE, that cannot be ignored either. Instead of endlessly rambling just don't post. If you don't care anymore I don't care to hear your opinion.

I too want to see how this team performs going forward and mainly in the A10, as I do believe there is talent and we have seen flashes of what could be. As du2012 said, I had psu, U.K., and Pitt as losses OOC as well so 1 dissapointing result is not going to cause me to have a total meltdown like some people. Yeah we should have won that game, yeah it should have never been close but the reality of the situation is that Mike made a jumper to take the lead with 9 seconds left and canisius made an incredible play against pretty good defense to win. They have d1 players too, they probably wouldn't hit that shot 9/10 times but that's why you can't leave teams in games like that when you have a lead. Blame to everyone for that loss but Kentucky was expected. Apocalypse hasn't happened for me yet.

11/21/2016 12:21 pm  #12

Duques102 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

1. We have lost at least one game this year we should have won but why is this the game you chose to go off the deep end about this team, the program, the coach and the ad? Like did you actually expect us to win this game, or more realistically, not get our doors blown off? This game meant nothing to me because anyone who knows anything about college basketball would expect us to get our ass kicked, I'm partially surprised it wasn't a bigger margin. That team had like 7 or 8 guys that will have extended careers in the NBA and 3 or 4 that will be top ten draft picks so again, what did you expect from that outing?yet.

Where did I ever say this was the game that did it?  I fully expected them to their doors blown off, it's the fact that they were 2-2 and not 3-1 or 4-0 going into said game is what is upsetting me. Oh yeah and Dave Harper's "lets play 4 games in eight days brainstorm.

They barely beat St. Francis at home, got blown out by a mediocre Penn State squad, and blew a game at home against a winless turd like Canisius!

That doesn't translate into NIT to me

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/21/2016 1:17 pm  #13

I don't think the AD makes the schedule. Someone kindly correct me if I'm, you know, the word that begins with a "w."

11/21/2016 1:20 pm  #14

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

1. We have lost at least one game this year we should have won but why is this the game you chose to go off the deep end about this team, the program, the coach and the ad? Like did you actually expect us to win this game, or more realistically, not get our doors blown off? This game meant nothing to me because anyone who knows anything about college basketball would expect us to get our ass kicked, I'm partially surprised it wasn't a bigger margin. That team had like 7 or 8 guys that will have extended careers in the NBA and 3 or 4 that will be top ten draft picks so again, what did you expect from that outing?yet.

Where did I ever say this was the game that did it?  I fully expected them to their doors blown off, it's the fact that they were 2-2 and not 3-1 or 4-0 going into said game is what is upsetting me. Oh yeah and Dave Harper's "lets play 4 games in eight days brainstorm.

They barely beat St. Francis at home, got blown out by a mediocre Penn State squad, and blew a game at home against a winless turd like Canisius!

That doesn't translate into NIT to me

I'm basing that off the fact that all of these posts from you followed the Kentucky game. I too think the scheduling is ridiculous as well, tough to win when you play that many times in that many days, I think d lew and sanders looked exhausted in the canisius game. A win is a win in regard to Saint Francis. Barely beat? We won by 14 this is what I mean in regards to you being dramatic at best.

Blown out by Penn st? We lost by 8, that's 3-4 possessions. Everybody on this board was talking about how Canisius was going to be a tough game despite their record, and they happened to absolutely murdered us from behind the line, which perimeter defense has been improved this year IMO beside that game. Couple less made threes for them and couple more made free throws for us. Or if that kid doesn't hit a jumper with 1 second left (props to him) and we wouldn't have lost that game.

My point: for as frustrating as the start has been im still giving this team the benefit of the doubt in terms of gelling and learning to play together as time progresses this season. Lot of new, talented pieces with improved size. Not saying it's definitely going to improve or turn around 180*, but I'm certainly not ready to throw in the towel on this team and this season. Let's just see what happens.

Last edited by Duques102 (11/21/2016 1:37 pm)

11/21/2016 1:49 pm  #15

You say we "barely beat" sfu- which was by 14 and was at 18 before they made some free throws at the end.

You say we "got blown out" by psu- which was by 8.

Do you see the contradiction there?

11/21/2016 4:06 pm  #16

Dukes are playing in the Bluegrass Classic which includes KY, Canisius, and UT Martin.  Those four teams play each other which may explain why the Duke play so many games in a short amount of time.  I assume the Dukes will receive a nice payoff for their efforts.

11/21/2016 4:19 pm  #17

Econ69 wrote:

Dukes are playing in the Bluegrass Classic which includes KY, Canisius, and UT Martin.  Those four teams play each other which may explain why the Duke play so many games in a short amount of time.  I assume the Dukes will receive a nice payoff for their efforts.

It's called prostituting your program for a cash payout. Most bad teams do it.

11/21/2016 5:29 pm  #18

Let's see what these kids do once they catch their breath and play two games a week.

Like to see James and Robinson play more, James had flashes of quickness and my man Jordon R. Hits free throws, rebounds and has a nose for the hoop, play him 20 min and see what happens.

And the kids at Kentucky were soooo good,  I thought we played hard and had guts to drive on them.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/21/2016 7:07 pm  #19

When Ferry is hired away by a much better program, Duquesne should hire back the only coach who had any real success here for an extended period in the last 35 years.  That coach could be successful with this roster which is probably better top to bottom that any that he had.

11/21/2016 7:17 pm  #20

rittersdiner wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

It's called prostituting your program for a cash payout. Most bad teams do it.

Bad teams like, what...Kentucky?

11/21/2016 7:38 pm  #21

whats funny is the amount of couple that complain we have a cupcake schedule. now we complain that we are playing too many games in a short time and shouldn't be playing kentucky? Seriously.
They should try to schedule a top 10 team every year. who cares what the final score is. we got pounded by duke a few years ago, turned it around and made the NIT. 
UNC plays 7 games in 13 days, and only 2 at home and they have indiana and kentucky on the horizon. they play that kind of schedule  to better prepare for the rigors of conf play, conf tourneys, and post season..

and no one cares how much money you have, how much money you claim to donate, etc. esp when you spout off on a message board

11/21/2016 7:56 pm  #22

I don't mind the tight schedule, and I can never complain about being able to play the best team in the country. Too often do we have to watch nobodies walk into Palumbo. Playing Kentucky moves the needle. It's an opportunity.

However, if we're playing a tight schedule, and its wearing down on the kids, I have an idea...GET J-ROB OFF THE BENCH. I mean that's anecdotal but our biggest guys are going to have the biggest issue keeping up, especially if during this slog they got to play the biggest, baddest 18-year-olds in college basketball. We've said it all preseason, and I'm sure Ferry has said it too, we have depth. Rotate. Give Robinson a chance, for the love of God, please.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/21/2016 8:09 pm  #23

theprofessor1099 wrote:

When Ferry is hired away by a much better program, Duquesne should hire back the only coach who had any real success here for an extended period in the last 35 years.  That coach could be successful with this roster which is probably better top to bottom that any that he had.

Which better program is in the market for a coach who hasn't proven he can win in the A10, specifically?

11/21/2016 9:24 pm  #24

ElDuque wrote:

theprofessor1099 wrote:

Which better program is in the market for a coach who hasn't proven he can win in the A10, specifically?

I think Duke and Syracuse have coaches getting up in years. Also, there might be an opportunity to follow his old buddy to Quinnipiac.

11/22/2016 8:52 am  #25

I believe that there will be a bidding war among Kentucky, Duke, Syracuse and Louisville.  However, the Warriors or Lakers might jump in there too. 

Board footera