Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2017 7:45 am  #26

Re: Mid year observations

I'm busting the professor's chops but I do think he's right. Clearly Ferry will sit down with Harper after this year, point to Mike, Lewis, Smith & Castro and the incoming freshmen, talk about the "opportunity" to backfill for James, Steele and Robinson, and we'll have two more years of the same. Small guards, cross midcourt and hoist, start coaching after you get off to a disastrous noncon start ...

1/14/2017 10:03 am  #27

ElDuque, I apologize for ruining your day!  That wasn't my intention but I had recently attended a DU function where there was a plea for funds (less than what Ferry makes in one season) to fund some partial student subsidies for a seemingly worthwhile academic program.  As I listened to the speaker and the request for contributions, I was thinking if they don't have the money to support this academic program, there is no way they are going to eat Ferry's contract. 
If the results this year don't improve, I hope I am wrong and a new coach is hired.  Duq81 makes a good point and he might be right.  They did eat Ron's remaining salary (which makes his firing and the hiring of Ferry even more bothersome) but Ron was making only about half of what Ferry is reportedly making.  I assume the assistant coaches are on 1 year deals.
I just want Duquesne to be competitive again.  I'm not getting any younger and I am old enough to remember when going to games was the highlight of my week.  I don't really care who coaches the team.  I liked Ron because he was a good guy but more importantly, he made basketball at Duquesne fun again.  If Ferry does that, that's fine with me.

1/14/2017 2:10 pm  #28

Professor , today wasn't much fun, but it used to be a thrill and excitement for me also to go see the Dukes play.......

A diehard fan since 1961

1/14/2017 2:13 pm  #29

Go Fund Me. New coach for Duquesne.

1/14/2017 2:52 pm  #30

theprofessor1099 wrote:

ElDuque, I apologize for ruining your day!  That wasn't my intention but I had recently attended a DU function where there was a plea for funds (less than what Ferry makes in one season) to fund some partial student subsidies for a seemingly worthwhile academic program.  As I listened to the speaker and the request for contributions, I was thinking if they don't have the money to support this academic program, there is no way they are going to eat Ferry's contract. 
If the results this year don't improve, I hope I am wrong and a new coach is hired.  Duq81 makes a good point and he might be right.  They did eat Ron's remaining salary (which makes his firing and the hiring of Ferry even more bothersome) but Ron was making only about half of what Ferry is reportedly making.  I assume the assistant coaches are on 1 year deals.
I just want Duquesne to be competitive again.  I'm not getting any younger and I am old enough to remember when going to games was the highlight of my week.  I don't really care who coaches the team.  I liked Ron because he was a good guy but more importantly, he made basketball at Duquesne fun again.  If Ferry does that, that's fine with me.

Was said in jest. As I said above, I agree with you that the Ferry will be docked here for years to come. Results be damned.

1/14/2017 3:10 pm  #31

This team sucks,embarrassing. I wonder how you can be so flat and lifeless in front of  the 1969-71 teams.
 I am also critical of Goss and Durham who just watch this garbage and  say nothing critical  about Ferry,
the terrible play.When the team stinks up the joint, how about venting the frustration especially when you
have that 69 and 71 team watching and you remember how good they were and how bad this team is.
You think about how pathetic the state of Duquesne basketball is and you see these former players and talk to them wouldnt you feel the frustration and say f this, Ferry sucks,he will suck next year.This isnt working.  We dont have the players,the talent isnt there. This is like Pitt football was the mid late 1960s.
 Harper sucks,he has been here long enough to start verbalizing his ideas and goals and what is it
Duquesne is doing to improve this bs.I want to know what his plans are . This program is near death.
 Mr. Harper get your ass in gear and start talking,do something.Its now or its never.
 The A10 should come in and get involved with evaluating mens basketball and telling Harper if things dont
improve Duquesne will be removed from the A10.

1/15/2017 10:06 am  #32

theprofessor1099 wrote:

All of the talk about Ferry possibly being fired at the end of this year when he would be owed over $600K is interesting but I don't see it happening.  Ferry won't be fired unless and until Duquesne doesn't owe him a penny.  The administration will ride out his contract.  What's the difference if the "stink streak" extends one more year?  If the team is lousy, we might as well "Rip Van Winkle" ourselves until Ferry has coached for each of the years in his contract.  I might be wrong but history says not.

The difference if the "stink streak" extends one more year?? Well, when you get to be 65, one more year becomes problematical!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/15/2017 10:45 am  #33

I hear you Ken!  I'm right with you.  The administration doesn't seem to have cared much for the last 40 or so years.

Board footera