Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2017 11:14 am  #251

Re: New coach thread

CLK wrote:

Ryan Dunleavy 

Ryan Dunleavy Retweeted Keith SargeantSource says #Monmouth[/url] coach King Rice a top candidate at Duquesne. [url=https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rutgers?src=hash]#Rutgers[/url] assistant Brandin Knight too. Possible return to [url=https://twitter.com/hashtag/pitt?src=hash]#pitt area.

Would be absolutely thrilled with king rice.

3/19/2017 11:50 am  #252

Dukes2012 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Ryan Dunleavy 

Ryan Dunleavy Retweeted Keith SargeantSource says #Monmouth[/url] coach King Rice a top candidate at Duquesne. [url=https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rutgers?src=hash]#Rutgers[/url] assistant Brandin Knight too. Possible return to [url=https://twitter.com/hashtag/pitt?src=hash]#pitt area.

King and his Dukes, has a certain regal ring to it.

3/19/2017 11:58 am  #253

I think we would all be estatic if King Rice were hired, including Kevin Stallings.  Stallings hired him as an assistant at Vanderbilt and has a deep history with Rice.  He even bailed Rice out of jail when he got a DUI.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/19/2017 12:07 pm  #254

I like King Rice as he has been a successful HC, seems to have a knack for uncovering diamonds in the rough in recruiting, has beaten P-5 schools on the road, and has the Tar Heel background.

Knight is a good guy with instant cred locally and nationally, but would be concerned that we would be grooming him for Pitt when they fire Stallings which will probably come before too long.  Knight of course hasn't been a HC and was passed over by Pitt who would have known him better than anyone.
Knight being at Rutgers isn't exactly a launching pad for success.

3/19/2017 12:56 pm  #255

levon1975 wrote:

I like King Rice as he has been a successful HC, seems to have a knack for uncovering diamonds in the rough in recruiting, has beaten P-5 schools on the road, and has the Tar Heel background.

Knight is a good guy with instant cred locally and nationally, but would be concerned that we would be grooming him for Pitt when they fire Stallings which will probably come before too long. Knight of course hasn't been a HC and was passed over by Pitt who would have known him better than anyone.
Knight being at Rutgers isn't exactly a launching pad for success.

I'm not the least bit worried about Knight leaving for Pitt. If that happened, it would mean he did his job here. Worked very nicely with Suzie. Any coach we hire will be P5 bound if he wins here. Hell, Ron won modestly here, and it was enough for him to be seriously considered by a Big 10 school. Few coaches are gonna be lifers anymore. You hope your coach is good enough for other schools to covet. Xavier loses their coach every 5-6 years, and they keep rolling.

3/19/2017 2:46 pm  #256

CLK wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Ryan Dunleavy 

King and his Dukes, has a certain regal ring to it.

Knight and his Dukes not so much?

3/19/2017 4:12 pm  #257

Will Wade top candidate for LSU.  Hope we have our guy wrapped as the coaching carousel may include another A10 school.

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/coaching-rumors-vcus-will-wade-emerged-leader-lsu-head-coaching-job?utm_campaign=SF_SECCountryLSU&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

3/19/2017 4:39 pm  #258

My sources told me that it is almost 100% Rice.  Could be announced as soon as tomorrow.  

3/19/2017 5:03 pm  #259

Great story of redemption. We would be lucky to have him as a coach here.

3/19/2017 5:08 pm  #260

Dukes2012 wrote:

hmm, not to freak anyone out, but my source told me we also made an offer to Kelsey.  At this point, it looks like Kelsey or King Rice.  Win win, right?

3/19/2017 5:27 pm  #261

Simms wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

hmm, not to freak anyone out, but my source told me we also made an offer to Kelsey.  At this point, it looks like Kelsey or King Rice.  Win win, right?

Has Harper signed one of them, or is this just that he made offers?  At this point it is more important to wrap one these guy up.  Either one would be excellent but my pick would still be King Rice. 

3/19/2017 5:28 pm  #262

Simms wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Win win indeed! Rice will cause a bit more of a buzz, which might affect our freshmen and recruits, but I'll gladly take either.

3/19/2017 5:29 pm  #263

Josh Taylor‏ 

I'm hearing there could be an announcement on Duquesne's new head coach tomorrow. Working to confirm it.

Last edited by CLK (3/19/2017 5:29 pm)

3/19/2017 5:36 pm  #264

I heard the same.  I just don't know which of those two it would be.  I still prefer Kelsey slightly since he has made the NCAAs and Rice sort of choked (was up 17 to Siena and lost this year in his conference tourny) but I would be beyond pleased with both hires.

3/19/2017 5:37 pm  #265

I wonder if Mark Prosser would be Kelsey's replacement at Winthrop? If not, he'd probably follow Kelsey here, and maybe replace him as Dukes coach 4-5 years from now if Kelsey wins here. That would indeed be ironic.

3/19/2017 5:46 pm  #266

I'm liking what I'm hearing from you fellas. Keep it coming.

3/19/2017 5:53 pm  #267

I think both coaches would be able to get the job done at Duquesne - It is encouraging that both of these names have been mentioned quite a bit with many other openings (who else was looking at Ferry?). 

If I had a preference, it would be King Rice. Here's why...Winthrop had some moderate success before Kelsey (I remember a Winthrop team beating Notre Dame in the first round of the tourney my senior year). It looks like they tapered off and then were brought back up by Kelsey. Monmouth didn't have much history prior to Rice getting there. He picked off some big teams last year - and we all know how much fun his players have. Remember all those side line celebrations? The kids want to play for him and he gets everyone from the starting 5 all the way down the bench involved. 

Anyway - not much of an argument. Just a way for me to determine which I'd rather have.

3/19/2017 5:59 pm  #268

It seems to good to be true,is this a dream?Usually when Duquesne hires a coach its the end of the month ,beginning of April.Dave Harper,you the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3/19/2017 6:05 pm  #269

King Rice used to work with Stallings - (Pitts head coach)

3/19/2017 6:16 pm  #270

FAM wrote:

King Rice used to work with Stallings - (Pitts head coach)

Don't know if that's a plus or not.

3/19/2017 6:19 pm  #271

The ONLY plus I see is if he talks with him and tells him he likes the city...and it would be someone here he knows to make the "moving" transition a little easier.

3/19/2017 6:37 pm  #272

Josh Taylor of the fan is working to confirm that an announcement could come tomorrow.

3/19/2017 9:22 pm  #273

https://twitter.com/PghSportsNow/status/843647374568411136 conversely, "Source tells me no press conference at Duquesne tomorrow regarding new basketball coach"

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/19/2017 9:35 pm  #274

I'm sure we will hear something tomorrow regardless.  I would hope we wouldn't refrain from announcing something because Pitt is announcing the new AD tomorrow.  That said, I want to make this hire quick as I don't want to be competing with Umass plus VCU.  I also suspects P5 schools will be gunning for Archie and Hurley.  Let's make this hire quick and exciting.  We all agree that both choices are great so let's do it.

3/20/2017 9:31 am  #275

This morning Dunlap said he is hearing from multiple sources that King Rice will be the next head coach at Duquesne. "Nothing at all confirmed but that's what I'm hearing". Sounds like there is a good chance it will be Rice, I think that would be an awesome hire.

Board footera