Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2017 9:48 am  #276

Re: New coach thread

King Rice with impressive mix experience & youth coach staff.  Of his top 6, 5 were mid 70 to 86% free-throw percentage and one just under 70%.  Imagine that on the bluff.

3/20/2017 9:57 am  #277

Hilltopper wrote:

King Rice with impressive mix experience & youth coach staff.  Of his top 6, 5 were mid 70 to 86% free-throw percentage and one just under 70%.  Imagine that on the bluff.

I don't know how much a coach has to do with free throw shooting. I've seen some horrible free throw shooting from teams with great coaches.

3/20/2017 10:03 am  #278

Somebody else mentioned this but it seems too good to be true, although I believe! When Ferry was hired my reaction was who? I hear King Rice and I think wow, he could turn things around. When Dunlap mentioned that on the fan the other two guys reaction was surprise and disbelief "really?!". That's a program changing type hire.

How do you think recruiting will go when he sits in a kids living room and says I played 4 years at North Carolina and am 3rd all time in program history for assists? Or that his team won 55 games in the last two seasons? Or that he was the coach of the year in his conference for the last two years?

Last edited by Duques102 (3/20/2017 10:04 am)

3/20/2017 10:13 am  #279

Ferry took 5 years to win 60 games here, Rice won 55 in the last two. Wonder if Ziese and the rest of those clowns will still say Ferry should have been retained if a guy like this comes in. Head and shoulders better than Ferry. I don't even know how one could argue that.

3/20/2017 10:31 am  #280

Is this for real or are you guys just playing ,making up stories.??I dont believe it.We will probably end up
hiring the assistant basketball coach at Thomas Jefferson High School on Old Clairton Road .

3/20/2017 10:39 am  #281

stew wrote:

Is this for real or are you guys just playing ,making up stories.??I dont believe it.We will probably end up
hiring the assistant basketball coach at Thomas Jefferson High School on Old Clairton Road .

Hey Stew,
Remember when a former Duquesne Assitant became head coach of Upper St. Clair High School  and later hired a former ( fired) head coach from Duquesne University?

A diehard fan since 1961

3/20/2017 10:59 am  #282

My secret inside sources are telling me  Joey David will be named the next coach for our beloved
Bluffites.Word on the street in Hilliard,Ohio is that the former Panther will take the reigns.Murray
Meikenhouse willl become associate head coach and will take over when Duquesne wins a national
championship.  Another great scoop.

3/20/2017 11:04 am  #283

Actually, Lindsey Timmons was in line until Lawrence signed with the Dolphins.

3/20/2017 11:06 am  #284

Adam Zagoria tweeted the Duquesne job is King Rice's to turn down. Lot of tweets on Post-Gazette site concerning Rice and Duquesne.

3/20/2017 11:15 am  #285

Yep.  I read this too.  I just pray he accepts now.  I would assume if he interviewed for the job, that he would want the position.  Let's hope D. Harper pulls his best Jerry Mcguire and shows Rice the money.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/20/2017 11:29 am  #286

One week after Ferry was fired, his replacement at LIU (Jack Perri) is let go.

3/20/2017 11:38 am  #287

Mulder wrote:

Don't like the link to Stallings necessarily.  Is that an advantage?  But seems like a solid pick otherwise.

Don't even see how it's relevant, everyone has to start somewhere.

3/20/2017 11:43 am  #288

I been hoping and prayin almost all my life and I dont believe he will come to Duquesne unless the
renovation package involves a retractable roof at Palumbo so the team can be introduced when
they arrive in a hot air balloon. King is a showman .

3/20/2017 11:46 am  #289

stew wrote:

I been hoping and prayin almost all my life and I dont believe he will come to Duquesne unless the
renovation package involves a retractable roof at Palumbo so the team can be introduced when
they arrive in a hot air balloon. King is a showman .

Funny but point well taken. Give that guy whatever he wants, go above and beyond and don't be cheap. There's a lot at stake here

3/20/2017 12:04 pm  #290

All the media A-holes are out in force dissing Duquesne, and doing their best to dissuade King Rice.  

3/20/2017 12:06 pm  #291

Mike DeCourcey says Rice would be great for Duquesne. #TrustedSource #TheRestCanKissMy*

3/20/2017 12:09 pm  #292

CLK wrote:

All the media A-holes are out in force dissing Duquesne, and doing their best to dissuade King Rice.  

You can tell none of them did any research about the offer, rumored facility upgrades, new AD, and new president. Unfortunately, good journalists are dying breed.

3/20/2017 12:12 pm  #293

CLK wrote:

Can you imagine Duquesne having a better coach than Pitt?  The local talking heads wouldn't know how to handle it.  They would praise Stallings, for whatever reason(his son is a nice kid), and bash DU for overpaying Rice.  
It would be awesome!!!

3/20/2017 12:23 pm  #294

CLK wrote:

This is honestly making me sick. What the hell do these guys have against us? These idiots will have no influence on whether he comes or not, that will come down to Harper and the bullets the higher ups put in his gun to make this happen.

3/20/2017 12:24 pm  #295

My take on the Rice/DU saga:  DU made a generous multi-year offer to include Mr Rice and staff, and received a verbal okay. Subsequently, Mr Rice goes back to his employer and learns he has a pay-back clause for nullifying his deal thus requesting DU pick it up. 

​We shall see. 

3/20/2017 12:26 pm  #296

Funny, no coverage in months before this.

3/20/2017 12:32 pm  #297

I would assume that the opinion of a bunch of no-name regional basketball reporters is going to have little to no influence on rice's decision, though. He's been around a long time and is in a better position to gauge the quality of Duquesne's offer and the support level going forward.

3/20/2017 12:52 pm  #298

https://twitter.com/FightMA247/status/843489906425040896 Umass interviewed King Rice last week. This is probably a bidding war now. but there's a lot less noise on the King Rice -> UMass front than Duquesne. I'm confident. I'm shockingly optimistic, actually

Saw another tweet that King Rice's current salary is $200k, for what that's worth.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/20/2017 12:59 pm  #299

This stuff is complicated.  King Rice signed an extension last year at Monmouth that runs through the 20-21 season (4 more years).  His current salary, nor any contract buyout terms, was not reported. Rice's original contract was reported to be $201,000 in salary in 2013; based on other MAAC head coach contracts, I'm guessing that he currently making $400-$450K.  Just need to let this play out.

3/20/2017 1:10 pm  #300

Nothing out of the ordinary, this happens with most any coaching change.  I don't see that as a major problem. 

Board footera