Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2017 2:25 pm  #376

Re: New coach thread

that's a good hire for them. but now we're running out of 2nd options

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/21/2017 2:48 pm  #377

yak-rbc wrote:

we're running out of 2nd options

I don't believe we need to be concerned with second options.
I don't know anything officially, but I'm confident that all is well at this time.

3/21/2017 3:28 pm  #378

https://twitter.com/morrisaruf/status/844269106790633472

This guy says we have hired King Rice, don't see that anywhere else yet.

3/21/2017 3:31 pm  #379

He's a biologist. Belongs on the Big Bang Theory.

3/21/2017 3:39 pm  #380

Mulder wrote:

Zeise now reports that Josh Newman says there will be no King Rice at Duquesne.

Hope he's wrong but it wouldn't surprise me. This isn't going to be easy whatever we do.

See https://twitter.com/joshua_newman/status/844286607196852224

Wow.

I'm a little skeptical of the quote that he was never involved. There were way too many reports of him being involved for that to be true.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (3/21/2017 3:46 pm)

3/21/2017 3:50 pm  #381

Josh Newman also stated:
"Rice also said he was never involved at UMass. As I've said plenty, Rice really likes being at Monmouth. Money isn't everything"

This kind of puts me in a BLAH mood now thinking this was pretty much a done deal...

Is Josh Newman a legit source btw?
(also, new to this board, posted on the other one mostly, so hi all!)

3/21/2017 3:51 pm  #382

This shows you the difference between our job and UMass and VCU.  They want someone and have them in 5 mins.  We speculate for two days and get nothing.  I hope that Rice (King) is still an option because this is beginning to sound like Dambrot all over again. 

With Kelsey gone, I would only be happy with Becker at this point. 

I'll support the new coach regardless!

Last edited by Simms (3/21/2017 4:07 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/21/2017 3:53 pm  #383

3/21/2017 3:55 pm  #384

It sure would be nice to hear Something!

3/21/2017 3:56 pm  #385

ElDuque wrote:

He's a biologist. Belongs on the Big Bang Theory.

Haha. The one thing i just realized and am finding comfort in is the fact that we were linked with him, he was identified as a primary target, and then mostly silence.

This is when I realized King Rice hasn't really been linked to any other schools since we were linked to him. Haven't heard one report of him meeting with or talking to any other schools, just the occasional list of "coaches in the mix" article by smaller reporters.

Edit: I was typing this post while the Zeise stuff came out, don't know what to think now.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/21/2017 3:58 pm)

3/21/2017 4:01 pm  #386

I'm going to continue to trust Mr. Harper.

While I haven't given up on King Rice, I think what might be possible is the buyout of the contract is more difficult than we could imagine. Although I'd put my faith in Duquesne Law School grads to get this sorted out.

Another possibility, given that some folks who post here do have access to good resources, is that King Rice has been used as a smoke screen. In other words, that Mr. Harper has been honed in on another target.

Or, King Rice and Keith Dambrot are buddies, and they're messing with us.

Joking, of course. Be patient. Newspaper sources aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

3/21/2017 4:02 pm  #387

Mulder wrote:

Zeise now reports that Josh Newman says there will be no King Rice at Duquesne.

Hope he's wrong but it wouldn't surprise me. This isn't going to be easy whatever we do.

See https://twitter.com/joshua_newman/status/844286607196852224

I think I remember reading a very similar report on will Wade the day he signed with LSU.

3/21/2017 4:06 pm  #388

I'll say this much.  I know we all had our hearts set on Rice (me more than most) but as long as Jim Ferry isn't rehired, we should still put 100% effort into supporting the new coach.  John Becker arguably can coach better than Rice, and some could argue that Mike Rice is the better Rice (not me, but some).  Let's wait and see.  I just don't want to keep waiting as I'm slowly going insane.

3/21/2017 4:07 pm  #389

There's always a lot of denial in a breakup.

3/21/2017 4:07 pm  #390

ElDuque wrote:

Yea...  I'm not handling this well.

3/21/2017 4:11 pm  #391

ElDuque wrote:

The report may very well be correct, but I just don't like the part about him never being involved. There was too much smoke for that to be the case. These rumors from multiple sources didn't just come from nowhere.

3/21/2017 4:12 pm  #392

Assuming people have seen this but haven't seen the link posted here yet: 

'No, King Rice says, I'm not taking the Duquesne job'
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2017/03/21/king-rice-duquesne-coaching-candidates-monmouth-basketball/stories/201703210178?pgpageversion=pgevoke

3/21/2017 4:35 pm  #393

Jackdoc13 wrote:

Assuming people have seen this but haven't seen the link posted here yet: 

'No, King Rice says, I'm not taking the Duquesne job'
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2017/03/21/king-rice-duquesne-coaching-candidates-monmouth-basketball/stories/201703210178?pgpageversion=pgevoke

I hate the local media so much.

3/21/2017 4:43 pm  #394

Anything less than Becker will leave me very depressed.

We're gonna end up with someone like Matt Driscoll.

3/21/2017 4:44 pm  #395

Kinda feels like we are back to square one to me.  I think it is BS that he said he was never involved in the DU job, but if things broke down I understand why, and glad, he said that.  I hope Dooley and Becker are in Harper's scope.   

3/21/2017 5:00 pm  #396

3/21/2017 5:17 pm  #397

Don't mean to be pessimistic either.  But why do we have faith in this group of clowns running the show as opposed to the last group of clowns?

Why did Harper go on the radio and tease a huge announcement in January and there is still no announcement? 

We just have always suffered from bad leadership.   And that ain't changing folks.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/21/2017 5:18 pm)

3/21/2017 5:40 pm  #398

duqkurt wrote:

Don't mean to be pessimistic either.  But why do we have faith in this group of clowns running the show as opposed to the last group of clowns?

Why did Harper go on the radio and tease a huge announcement in January and there is still no announcement? 

We just have always suffered from bad leadership.   And that ain't changing folks.

1. Because they axed ferry with more than 1 year left on his contract. That's a large financial burden that someone who isn't interested in being successful would pick up.

2. Because from what we've heard, they have offered a very competitive salary for this job.

We have no idea what happened behind the scenes here. We don't know that administrative incompetence had anything to do with this. For all we know, this report could be false. Notice how they didn't quote rice in either of the article? This report would be called hearsay in my line of business.

3/21/2017 6:13 pm  #399

Well this was on the A10 message board.  As I have become the Fox from the grapes Aesop Fable, it made me feel slightly better:

Originally Posted by Bill Russell King Rice is now claiming he's staying at MU and never had any interest in DU? Who to believe?

Duquesne fans should be happy he is overrated. They should be ecstatic if they get Becker from Vermont.

Last edited by Simms (3/21/2017 6:37 pm)

3/21/2017 6:29 pm  #400

New to the site...  coaching searches usually drags me out from under my rock when it comes to message boards. 

What are people's thoughts on a top lieutenant like Travis Steele?

Board footera