Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2017 8:22 am  #426

Re: New coach thread

My choice ( Dooley ) for sure due to his no nonsense approach to the game, his top player and scorer from last year was not playing for some of the season due to some unarmed offense and later lead team to championship of conference.

A mature guy who does a lot with minimal resources, after trailing at home in conference championship, he made adjustments at halftime and shut down Matt Driscolls offense and blew out N Fl in second half.

And can recruit winning players.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/22/2017 8:24 am  #427

Wildwood13 wrote:

Princeton head coachMitch Henderson has two three star recruits coming in this year and the previous four years has had Five three star and six two star recruits compared to Becker who has one two star this year and the previous four years had two two stars and two three stars. Ivy coach Fran Dunphy made a nice transition from Penn to Temple, as well as Thompson has lasted thirteen years at Georgetown with mixed results. Mooney a former Princeton player has done ok at Richmond. The last four Princeton coaches have moved on to higher division one programs with various mixed results. One thing for sure is that if Henderson came to Duquesne it would be a major pay increase as Princeton does not pay their coaches. Henderson could also talk to Mooney about the A 10 as it is the top mid major conference over the last several years.

Temple fans want Dunphy gone, just as Georgetown fans want to dump JT3.

Becker must be a great coach if he's winning all of those games with only 2 star guys. Just what we need.

3/22/2017 8:31 am  #428

What do you guys think of Nathan Davis of Bucknell?

3/22/2017 8:47 am  #429

I see nothing in Nathan Davis' coaching resume that would suggest that he would not be a quality hire other than the fact that he hasn't coached at an A-10 level. Successful at two programs with a small sample at Bucknell.

3/22/2017 9:11 am  #430

CLK wrote:

Two new names are surfacing – Vermont head coach and Michigan State assistant coach Dane Fife.

https://hoopdirt.com/duquesne-search-update/

I for one think that Vermont's coach John Becker is a better choice than King Rice.  Still would like to see Joe Dooley in the mix.  Fife does not excite me see below record as a head coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dane_Fife

I have little to no faith in the rumor mill right now.  I was depressed when news broke yesterday about no Rice.  I am afraid to get my hopes up again, only to learn via some twitter jobber that coach X isnt interested anymore, or never was.

3/22/2017 9:21 am  #431

Not to be argumentative Duq 81 but please look at facts instead of what fans want. Dunphy has gone to the NCAA a total of TWENTY times.  In his eleven years at Temple 7 NCAA's and 1 NIT not to shabby. He may be getting a little long in the tooth but he is a proven winner. JT3 has gone to 9 NCAA's in seventeen years as a head coach and 4 NIT's.  Not that I want these guys, just proving my point of how successful some Ivy coaches have been. Duquesne fans would kill for those type of results.Not so sure Becker needs to recruit that high in his conference and therefore would he be able to recruit to be competitive in the A 10. To be competitive in the A 10 you must be able to recruit as well as coach. All the so called experts have said now that the Ivy League has a tournament they would probably start to become a multiple NCAA bid league with the upgraded programs of Penn, Brown, Yale, Harvard and Princeton.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (3/22/2017 9:37 am)

3/22/2017 10:00 am  #432

Wildwood13 wrote:

Not to be argumentative Duq 81 but please look at facts instead of what fans want. Dunphy has gone to the NCAA a total of TWENTY times.  In his eleven years at Temple 7 NCAA's and 1 NIT not to shabby. He may be getting a little long in the tooth but he is a proven winner. JT3 has gone to 9 NCAA's in seventeen years as a head coach and 4 NIT's.  Not that I want these guys, just proving my point of how successful some Ivy coaches have been. Duquesne fans would kill for those type of results.Not so sure Becker needs to recruit that high in his conference and therefore would he be able to recruit to be competitive in the A 10. To be competitive in the A 10 you must be able to recruit as well as coach. All the so called experts have said now that the Ivy League has a tournament they would probably start to become a multiple NCAA bid league with the upgraded programs of Penn, Brown, Yale, Harvard and Princeton.

Dunphy's a good coach. His problem is that he's not as good a coach as his predecessor. JT3 has the same problem. You can't compare taking over power programs like GT, and Temple, to taking over a train wreck like DU.

3/22/2017 10:12 am  #433

Dunphy's 68 years old. Why not just go after Bobby Knight (76), Rollie Massimino (82), Chaney (85), or Dean Smith (deceased)?

3/22/2017 10:23 am  #434

El Duque, My horse in the race is Mitch Henderson, my point was that Ivy League coaches are within our price range and some have been successful. Please read all the related comments to the conversation.

3/22/2017 10:30 am  #435

I've read everything. Just a little general venting on my part. The Rice situation, honestly, took the wind out of my sails. I'm looking forward to the process being over.

3/22/2017 10:36 am  #436

I could not agree more. I am as frustrated as the next guy. I felt that Harper and Gromley should of been compiling their list as of the middle of the season. Just like Illinois, VCU and UMASS a coach should have been named by now. It may be and I don't want to admit it, that no one wants to come here.

3/22/2017 10:48 am  #437

Wildwood13 wrote:

I could not agree more. I am as frustrated as the next guy. I felt that Harper and Gromley should of been compiling their list as of the middle of the season. Just like Illinois, VCU and UMASS a coach should have been named by now. It may be and I don't want to admit it, that no one wants to come here.

Do you really think they didn't have a list of coaches? They can't force a coach to take the job. The local press is actually working against us.

3/22/2017 10:54 am  #438

Hearing that a private jet from Beckers area of Vermont landed in Pittsburgh today.....

3/22/2017 10:58 am  #439

If you think they had a list, then what would your guess be to how many coaches rejected us ?

3/22/2017 10:58 am  #440

First Time Poster, Long Time Reader.

IMO hiring a search firm is not a winner's mentality to have.  The purpose of the search firm is to take any blame off the AD, so he can say "the search firm picked him, not me".  It is part of the losing culture that has been at Duquesne forever.

The athletic director is being paid a nice salary; and he should be able to select a basketball coach without a search firm.

Look at VCU - they lost their coach and in less than 24 hours they hire a new guy.

In addition, the search firm boxes candidates out and they are easily influenced - the one we are using is in bed with Tom Izzo - so if we were to hire a stiff like Fife its because Izzo engineered it. and that is a joke!

No one has won here in 40 years and bringing in an assistant whose only coaching experience was at IUPUI will more than likely have us at the same spot in 5 years - looking for a new coach.

I think the AD should look outside the box and maybe consider unconventional candidates, maybe guys like Kelvin Sampson who were out of coaching but have returned to a program that was down and has brought life to it.

We cannot continue to hire the same mediocre guys and expect to compete here with all the obstacles we face.  Pitt is down right now and continuing to fade in the ACC and we can capitalize and be kings of the city with the right guy in charge.

GO DUKES!

3/22/2017 11:05 am  #441

I'd be fine with any three of Becker, Henderson or Davis.

Vermont and Princeton have been consistently good and for the most part, solid to the best in their league at both ends of the floor in the six years that both Becker and Henderson have been at their respective schools.

Davis has only had two years at Bucknell, but they have been the best team in the Patriot both seasons with mostly sophomores and juniors in the lineup. Both years they were number one in efficiency both on offense and defense.

Also for comparison sake, since 2012 the average rank in conference per KenPom goes:
A10 - 8
Ivy - 16
MAAC - 19
AE - 26
NEC - 27

Last edited by Brian (3/22/2017 11:05 am)

3/22/2017 11:17 am  #442

Duques102 wrote:

Hearing that a private jet from Beckers area of Vermont landed in Pittsburgh today.....

Source please?  Nothing personal, but just like Reagan said, "trust but verify" 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/22/2017 11:17 am  #443

I agree with Becker, Henderson and Davis, but after that it has to be a power five retread (Crean, Groce or someone like them that has moderate success ) I really believe that we are getting a lot of thanks but no thanks.

3/22/2017 11:19 am  #444

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

The source was a very good and reliable one. That's as far as I can go with that, sorry brother. If someone wants to take the time to go through flight manifests you can probably confirm that way.

3/22/2017 11:22 am  #445

For you newcomers to the board, welcome and thanks for the input. I posted long ago, that even before Scott Edgar's coaching hire Duquesne was viewed in the coaching industry as a graveyard and career ender.

After John Cinacola's firing, these deposed coaches other than Rice and Edgar ever was a head coach again. Some were back stabbed, ( Edgar until BC left, RE when he was fired) so this isn't a place to build your career in D-1 coaching.

You don't need mediocre sports casters and writers to break that news, all in the coaching business can easily know about Duquesne .

Maybe that is why the K Rice seemed P.O.'ed to be linked to the open job here.

Someone will be hired and hopefully he can get us competing like our last winning coach did, but understand why the door are not being broken down by rising star candidates.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/22/2017 11:37 am  #446

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

People saw him on campus.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/22/2017 11:37 am  #447

Right now, Duquesne is likely looked at as a coaching graveyard. However, it only takes one coach to change that perception. There are many programs that have had recent success with little to no history... VCU, GMU, St. Mary's, etc. People have short memories. If a coach comes in here and does well, most people will forget what happened in the past two or three decades.

3/22/2017 11:37 am  #448

LongIslandDuke wrote:

First Time Poster, Long Time Reader.

IMO hiring a search firm is not a winner's mentality to have.  The purpose of the search firm is to take any blame off the AD, so he can say "the search firm picked him, not me".  It is part of the losing culture that has been at Duquesne forever.

The athletic director is being paid a nice salary; and he should be able to select a basketball coach without a search firm.

Look at VCU - they lost their coach and in less than 24 hours they hire a new guy.

In addition, the search firm boxes candidates out and they are easily influenced - the one we are using is in bed with Tom Izzo - so if we were to hire a stiff like Fife its because Izzo engineered it. and that is a joke!

No one has won here in 40 years and bringing in an assistant whose only coaching experience was at IUPUI will more than likely have us at the same spot in 5 years - looking for a new coach.

I think the AD should look outside the box and maybe consider unconventional candidates, maybe guys like Kelvin Sampson who were out of coaching but have returned to a program that was down and has brought life to it.

We cannot continue to hire the same mediocre guys and expect to compete here with all the obstacles we face.  Pitt is down right now and continuing to fade in the ACC and we can capitalize and be kings of the city with the right guy in charge.

GO DUKES!

VCU hired a guy from their tree. Totally different situation. The press insisted that we needed to hire a search firm. I hope Becker is the guy.

3/22/2017 11:43 am  #449

I know it feels like a long time, but today is only the 9th day since Ferry was officially terminated.  Moreover, less than a week since some of the candidates were available to interview.

3/22/2017 11:44 am  #450

I think the search firms are not so much picking the coaches as it is used to contact and gauge the interest of potential candidates that the school is looking for without having to formally say they want to talk to coach x under contract at another school. 

Board footera