Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2017 11:55 am  #451

Re: New coach thread

Adam Zagoria

Adam Zagoria Retweeted Jeff Mitch Vermont coach John Becker on campus at Duquesne

Last edited by CLK (3/22/2017 11:55 am)

3/22/2017 11:59 am  #452

Dukes2012 wrote:

Right now, Duquesne is likely looked at as a coaching graveyard. However, it only takes one coach to change that perception. There are many programs that have had recent success with little to no history... VCU, GMU, St. Mary's, etc. People have short memories. If a coach comes in here and does well, most people will forget what happened in the past two or three decades.

We're one good hire away from wiping all of that away. Pitt was considered a coaches graveyard until Holland.

3/22/2017 11:59 am  #453

Yup I've seen him reported to be on campus by many different people.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/22/2017 11:59 am)

3/22/2017 12:01 pm  #454

Would a bball coach from Vermont fly on a private jet?  

3/22/2017 12:06 pm  #455

Whoever said:  The press insisted that we needed to hire a search firm. 

So you're now saying Gormley and Harper take their orders from Cook, Dunlap et al.  Get over yourself.

3/22/2017 12:07 pm  #456

townsonkid wrote:

Would a bball coach from Vermont fly on a private jet?  

He would if he is not paying for the flight.

3/22/2017 12:12 pm  #457

Duques102 wrote:

Someone commented on Zags tweet saying it was not true because he just finished a press conference at UVM. I am pretty close to not paying any attention to Twitter reports. I have no idea what to believe and what not to believe.

3/22/2017 12:15 pm  #458

Dukes2012 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Someone commented on Zags tweet saying it was not true because he just finished a press conference at UVM. I am pretty close to not paying any attention to Twitter reports. I have no idea what to believe and what not to believe.

I am 100% in this boat.  Twitter is the worst.  I know I'm going to keep looking, but my God is there a lot of misinformation.  I particularly love how PittsburghSportsNow retweeted it when they have been wrong about every job search.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/22/2017 12:19 pm  #459

Definitely wasn't on campus.  The Vermont reporter was talking with him in the same room 45 minutes ago.  I'm over this search.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/22/2017 12:27 pm  #460

Wow. Done trusting anything. I heard the thing about the plane early this morning from someone completely unrelated to the person saying he was on campus. I felt like that had validated it. At this point I'm just going to check back in a day or so because this minute to minute news is bull sh**

Last edited by Duques102 (3/22/2017 12:27 pm)

3/22/2017 12:28 pm  #461

Zagoria also had Baker Dunleavy as signed sealed and delivered to Quinnipiac and had Mike Rice as a lead candidate for the job here. He obviously can be had by any tweet or whatever he's "hearing." Awful.

Also, these sources are supposed to be Duquesne students spotting Becker: How in the world would Duquesne students know who John Becker is let alone any college basketball coach?

3/22/2017 12:33 pm  #462

Flight Tracker has a NetJet from Burlington to Pittsburgh yesterday afternoon.

3/22/2017 12:35 pm  #463

This is the same stuff Pitt dealt with last year. "Sean miller's in Pittsburgh!" "No, he's actually walking his dog on the Arizona campus as we speak." Coaching searches make everyone a little crazy.

3/22/2017 12:37 pm  #464

Duquesne would have chartered the private jet to pick him up. 
He would be a very nice hire, a proven winner whose teams play smart basketball.  As I've said, I preferred Becker to King Rice from the get go. 
One possibility that the local ass clown media didn't consider is that perhaps Duquesne was working with both Rice and Becker concurrently; and chose Becker; thus the shitty reaction from Rice.  Who wouldn't be pissed if they just lost out on a cool $1 million per year job?

3/22/2017 12:47 pm  #465

Brian wrote:

Zagoria also had Baker Dunleavy as signed sealed and delivered to Quinnipiac and had Mike Rice as a lead candidate for the job here. He obviously can be had by any tweet or whatever he's "hearing." Awful.

Also, these sources are supposed to be Duquesne students spotting Becker: How in the world would Duquesne students know who John Becker is let alone any college basketball coach?

DU students wouldnt know Coach K let alone a guy from Vermont.

3/22/2017 12:54 pm  #466

Little pricks in the local media like Craig Meyers never miss a chance to stick it to DU when they get a chance.

Craig Meyer

doubt a school like Duquesne that gets 100 students to games has a student body capable of recognizing an America East basketball coach.

Last edited by CLK (3/22/2017 12:56 pm)

3/22/2017 12:55 pm  #467

townsonkid wrote:

Brian wrote:

DU students wouldnt know Coach K let alone a guy from Vermont.

I was in the same class as the guy who Zagoria retweeted as the source of the sighting. I'm pretty sure that kid didn't step inside of the AJPC the entire time we were at Duquesne.

3/22/2017 1:00 pm  #468

CLK wrote:

Little pricks in the local media like Craig Meyers never miss a chance to stick it to DU when they get a chance.

Craig Meyer

doubt a school like Duquesne that gets 100 students to games has a student body capable of recognizing an America East basketball coach.

Duquesne should be mocked by the MEDIA as it was Duquesne's fault an erroneous report on their coaching search came out from the MEDIA! 

3/22/2017 1:07 pm  #469

Brian wrote:

CLK wrote:

Craig Meyer

Duquesne should be mocked by the MEDIA as it was Duquesne's fault an erroneous report on their coaching search came out from the MEDIA! 

How is that the Universitiy's fault? Anybody can tweet anything at any time. As 2012 just stated, the Becker on campus rumor that was eventually flattened by an actual reported was first tweeted by a twenty something that never even went to games.

3/22/2017 1:08 pm  #470

Brian wrote:

CLK wrote:

Craig Meyer

What?  How is it Duquesne's fault.  It may have been fake news by a fan, bur not anyone connected to the search.  Still a very unprofessional condescending remark by a guy who works for the local press.

3/22/2017 1:11 pm  #471

Duques102 wrote:

Brian wrote:

CLK wrote:

Craig Meyer

How is that the Universitiy's fault? Anybody can tweet anything at any time. As 2012 just stated, the Becker on campus rumor that was eventually flattened by an actual reported was first tweeted by a twenty something that never even went to games.

It was sarcasm.. Media member(s) screw it up running with a tweet and the mockery is turned to Duquesne like it was their fault.  Nice way to divert attention from not doing their jobs properly.

3/22/2017 1:50 pm  #472

TOO MUCH BS ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD CONCERNING THE HIRING OF COACH.TIRED OF PEOPLE
GETTING INFORMATION FROM THEIR SOURCES. JUST LET THE DUQUESNE ADMINISTRATORS
DO THEIR JOB.WE DONT NEED INSIDER INFORMATON AS A FEW KNUCKLEHEADS HAD A LOT OF
FOLKS BAMBOOOZLED WITH KING RICE.WHAT A CROCK.
 DUQUESNE FANS DESERVE BETTER .LET THE PROCESS PLAY OUT AND REMEMBER LOOSE LIPS SINK
SHIPS.

3/22/2017 1:52 pm  #473

Brian wrote:

CLK wrote:

Craig Meyer

These asses play the same card trashing Duquesne no matter what happens.  They think they are so cute!
I guess he forgot the "Sean Miller seen at Pitt" story that the Pitt loving local media ran with last year;  hahahaha, ass clowns!!!

Last edited by levon1975 (3/22/2017 1:56 pm)

3/22/2017 1:58 pm  #474

It has been interesting to watch this thread grow to 20 pages and closing in on 40,000 views.  For all the hand wringing, I think the current admin has a plan and we just need to watch it play out.  For everyone decrying Duquesne as a lousy destination, there aren't a lot of places willing to pay you a million bucks.  And, like Dukes2012 points out, we are really only one good coach away.  Success in basketball can be fleeting - look what happened to DePaul.  Once a power, now just drifting along at the bottom of their conference.  I don't care if we wait another month.  Just get someone who coaches defense and doesn't accept that it will take a decade to become competitive!

3/22/2017 2:13 pm  #475

stew wrote:

TOO MUCH BS ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD CONCERNING THE HIRING OF COACH.TIRED OF PEOPLE
GETTING INFORMATION FROM THEIR SOURCES. JUST LET THE DUQUESNE ADMINISTRATORS
DO THEIR JOB.WE DONT NEED INSIDER INFORMATON AS A FEW KNUCKLEHEADS HAD A LOT OF
FOLKS BAMBOOOZLED WITH KING RICE.WHAT A CROCK.
 DUQUESNE FANS DESERVE BETTER .LET THE PROCESS PLAY OUT AND REMEMBER LOOSE LIPS SINK
SHIPS.

The King Rice as a candidate was announced by legit media. Everything heard after that were rumors crirculated by fans and media alike. If you are dumb enough to actually think nothing happened between Rice and the university that's on you. In situations like that, contracts can be very close to basically being wrapped up and things fall apart. This isn't people trying to get insider information or scoops. These are die hard fans eager to see who the next guy is going to be because for once there is some optimism around the program. People are excited and want answers, it happens any time there is a coaching change these days.

Anybody can share information and talk about the coaching search. If you don't like people repeating information they hear regarding the search, don't read this thread.

-Deleted - If you need to ask me why you have not been paying attention - CLK

Furthermore, reflecting on your loose lips comment, if you think anyone on this boards posts have anything to do with influencing the coaching search you may need a reality check. Just saying.

Last edited by CLK (3/22/2017 2:23 pm)

Board footera