Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2017 6:38 pm  #601

Re: New coach thread

yak-rbc wrote:

espn and jon rothstein both report...im tempted to believe this one.

i dont think he was on any of our radars, but you know what? this isn't a bad get. his head coach history at a small good is pretty successful, and he's been the assistant at some solid programs like Xavier and Arizona.

if this is true, im pretty satisfied on the surface

Again, I am trying not to be excited because I've been burned a lot.  Rothstein says he has another interview tonight.  He was Associate Head Coach at Arizona which means he clearly has some pedigree.  More importantly, his teams at Ball State played tremendous defense.  

Ball State led the MAC in scoring defense (66.8) while ranking second in the league and 40th nationally in field goal percentage defense (.405).

He also coached under Herb Sendek.  Wonder if that is his Pittsburgh connection?  Who knows.  Again, he probably will turn us down anyways.

Also, I really dislike Paul Zeise

Last edited by Simms (3/23/2017 6:43 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/23/2017 7:00 pm  #602

Assuming that he is actually hired, I like the new coach and I think he is a good hire.
Harper said he wanted a head coach that knew the A10.
Whitford is a head coach and worked for Sean Miller at Xavier.
I assume Whitford also satisfies the need for good defense, toughness and an
efficient offense.
He is affordable.
Harper never asked for a coach that has been to the NIT or NCAA. 

3/23/2017 7:04 pm  #603

I wonder what TJ thinks of him.  Tj and him would be together at Arizona for a couple years before going to Ball State.  Kind of funny

3/23/2017 7:06 pm  #604

I did some more googling.

Whitford received a contract extension to 2020-2021 from Ball St.

His base salary is $275,000 per year.  No mention of bonus money but if
the salary is correct, Harper could offer Whitford what was paid Ferry and 
make everyone happy.

3/23/2017 7:07 pm  #605

lilpav30 wrote:

I wonder what TJ thinks of him.  Tj and him would be together at Arizona for a couple years before going to Ball State.  Kind of funny

Yeah I think tj's red shirt year would have been whitford's last year at AZ. The more I research I do, the more I like this (potential) hire.

3/23/2017 7:10 pm  #606

ElDuque wrote:

I've taken the liberty to have my university's back on Twitter. Even shot a rebuttal back to The Duquesne Duke. The late Paul Krakowski once taught aspiring journalists to be fair and accurate in reporting. People are quoting "sources" and stating things as though they are facts. Unless verified, they are not facts. No one has asked Duquesne University for its version of things. Gathering information from all relevant parties was once required. Now we quote imbeciles quoting sources from other imbeciles. They probably don't even know there's a new president and AD.

You're the MAN!  I just recently joined this blog and it warms my heart to know that there is some passion left among us Duquesne fans!  I cannot abide by the biased Pittsburgh media who have been pro-Pitt and ant-Duquesne for years.  Unfortunately I guess we've given them the ammo but it is long standing bias that existed before our program headed south.  Hopefully this guy from Ball State, who seems like a solid hire, can turn this around.  Obviously, the administration was/is looking for someone with HC experience and a track record of building a winner.  When we rise from the ashes it will be all the sweeter-and I'll be traveling to the NCAA tournament to watch our Dukes even if they play the game in Antarctica!

3/23/2017 7:12 pm  #607

I gave it to Zeise for quoting Wikipedia as a source. What a hack!

3/23/2017 7:44 pm  #608

Whitford was also the head recruiter for Arizona. Man has to have an eye for talent.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/23/2017 7:57 pm  #609

theprofessor1099 wrote:

ED, yes the guy from Ball State.  What do you think?

I'm thinkin the professor had the inside scoop.

3/23/2017 8:04 pm  #610

Tjsbmurphy wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I've taken the liberty to have my university's back on Twitter. Even shot a rebuttal back to The Duquesne Duke. The late Paul Krakowski once taught aspiring journalists to be fair and accurate in reporting. People are quoting "sources" and stating things as though they are facts. Unless verified, they are not facts. No one has asked Duquesne University for its version of things. Gathering information from all relevant parties was once required. Now we quote imbeciles quoting sources from other imbeciles. They probably don't even know there's a new president and AD.

You're the MAN! I just recently joined this blog and it warms my heart to know that there is some passion left among us Duquesne fans! I cannot abide by the biased Pittsburgh media who have been pro-Pitt and ant-Duquesne for years. Unfortunately I guess we've given them the ammo but it is long standing bias that existed before our program headed south. Hopefully this guy from Ball State, who seems like a solid hire, can turn this around. Obviously, the administration was/is looking for someone with HC experience and a track record of building a winner. When we rise from the ashes it will be all the sweeter-and I'll be traveling to the NCAA tournament to watch our Dukes even if they play the game in Antarctica!

Blog?

3/23/2017 8:06 pm  #611

Maybe I post too much...

3/23/2017 9:57 pm  #612

Watching Kansas v Purdue. They cut to a shot of Larry Brown and guess who's sitting next to him? Joe Dooley. All the Kansas boys going back to cheer on the team.

3/23/2017 10:54 pm  #613

Duques102 wrote:

Watching Kansas v Purdue. They cut to a shot of Larry Brown and guess who's sitting next to him? Joe Dooley. All the Kansas boys going back to cheer on the team.

What'll Brown do if Kansas plays Carolina.

3/24/2017 6:09 am  #614

duq81 wrote:

Tjsbmurphy wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

You're the MAN! I just recently joined this blog and it warms my heart to know that there is some passion left among us Duquesne fans! I cannot abide by the biased Pittsburgh media who have been pro-Pitt and ant-Duquesne for years. Unfortunately I guess we've given them the ammo but it is long standing bias that existed before our program headed south. Hopefully this guy from Ball State, who seems like a solid hire, can turn this around. Obviously, the administration was/is looking for someone with HC experience and a track record of building a winner. When we rise from the ashes it will be all the sweeter-and I'll be traveling to the NCAA tournament to watch our Dukes even if they play the game in Antarctica!

Blog?

Board....blog...whatever....

3/24/2017 4:07 pm  #615

Jokers.  Plain and simple.  Jokers

3/24/2017 6:57 pm  #616

Just saw references to Akron's Dambrot as next target who will turn us down.

3/24/2017 7:08 pm  #617

It looks like another trap!  Is he looking to sweeten his deal at Akron?  Be very careful.

I would like to see them open up to top assistant coaches with good upside; orD-2 coaches that have been very successful.

3/24/2017 8:46 pm  #618

I emailed Phil Racicot at Duq my frustration and explained the media's perception and how I'm not happy how Duquesne is getting made fun of. When I wrestled a decade ago he was there and I know him so that's the connection in case you wondered.  He sent a paragraph response that was very nice.  Basically thanking every alum for support and everybody is looking for a conclusion soon basically.

Last edited by lilpav30 (3/24/2017 8:47 pm)

3/25/2017 6:17 am  #619

John Harris talked to Dambrot who said reason he turned down Amodio last time was because of TJ leaving.  Can you believe?

Sports fans, no time to press PANIC; things are just getting interesting. Remember, this firm DU hired is made up of Head Hunters, just like in any other business Head Hunters scour the landscape for experienced pros who meet certain criteria (est. by Harper). In most cases, what may be several conversations over sometimes many days the client ( in this case DU) may never be divulged until HH determines he may have fit.  You can believe it when Rice said he was never ( knowingly) involved with DU.  

As to the media, ya got to love all the DU attention, no?  Listen, everyone in the basketball business understands how the process works, that it's not nearly negative as fans and observers think.  There are hundred(s) who would give their eye teeth to come here, including the salary, perks and  recognition that money can't buy. Call it a dream of a lifetime not far-fetched.  

Onus is totally Harper's to do his due diligence then make the right call.  Enjoy the ride, all.

3/25/2017 6:54 am  #620

I agree.  Kelsey cancelled his press conference at Mass; the AD at Ok State hired a search firm then hired
a coach already on the staff; Alford denies he is leaving UCLA; a sport pundit, Gottlieb wrote that Alford is going to Indiana-'a done deal.'  Mack at Xavier is becoming a hot prospect which will probably lead to all sorts of speculation.  DU hired a search firm for a new president and then selected Gormley.  We are taking some hits but if, and this is a big if, Harper picks the right coach then we  will have the last laugh.

3/25/2017 6:58 am  #621

Good perspective Hilltopper.  As fans, we have no choice but to sit back and watch and hope that a good coach is hired.  There are few people who know what has happened so far and what is happening now.  

3/25/2017 7:16 am  #622

3/25/2017 7:24 am  #623

This was posted yesterday at armadillo sports.com. which I started reading during the Kojo Mensah recruitment.

"Oregon 69, Michigan 68— Wolverines were 11-31 on arc, 14-27 inside arc, forced only five Oregon turnovers in an exciting, tense game. Ducks get to Elite 8 despite not having their best shot blocker Boucher, who is out for the year.

When Oregon hired Dana Altman as coach seven years ago, he was like their 5th choice for the job. Guys they wanted to hire didn’t want to coach in Oregon. Sometimes not getting what you want is the best thing that can happen."

Hopefully, that will happen for us!

Last edited by HookShot (3/25/2017 7:27 am)

3/25/2017 8:12 am  #624

I think it is worth a conversation with her.  She obviously wants to coach a men's team.  She was a fierce competitor.  Why not?  We are not asking her to block shots, just prepare a team.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/03/24/report-spurs-assistant-becky-hammon-determined-to-become-nba-head-coach-offered-florida-womens-job/

3/25/2017 9:09 am  #625

The same guy that reported dambrot told his recruits he was going nowhere also reported that dambrot said Duquesne was his other favorite school compared to Akron, this isn't dead, and neither are we. I agree a lot of these turn downs probably have a lot to do with people wanting to wait for dominos to fall, which says to me we tried to snag someone early in the process.

Again, ask UMASS how that worked out for them. (Worse than us)

While frustrating, we still have a lot of time and a lot of candidates to talk to. I also don't get why every single person we are linked with is leaked, but again, I don't think it's affecting the process.

I think a lot of the "turndowns" were nothing more than talks that the extent of we're over reported. Let's just see where this goes.

Board footera