Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2017 10:24 am  #626

Re: New coach thread

I agree that we are being trolled by someone (plural?) who is giving fake news to key media members. Considering that there has been no verified reports of a coaching candidate on campus, the talks are talks. DU is aiming high and that is different for us.

Last edited by HookShot (3/25/2017 10:25 am)

3/25/2017 11:24 am  #627

Per Rothstein, it sounds like the Dayton job is about to open up. Not sure how that affects us though since we aren't really competing for the same candidates as Dayton.

3/25/2017 11:32 am  #628

Dukes2012 wrote:

Per Rothstein, it sounds like the Dayton job is about to open up. Not sure how that affects us though since we aren't really competing for the same candidates as Dayton.

It affects us because it's an attractive job. Candidates will be jockeying for position to be in the mix to fill it.

3/25/2017 11:37 am  #629

Dukes2012 wrote:

As others have previously mentioned there are numerous higher profile jobs than ours - not just from P5 + Georgetown - but within our own league. First, VCU (filled), then linking of Hurley to Georgetown means RI might open, now the news about Dayton (By the way, latest tweet from Rothstein says the official resignation letter is in and Miller will go to Indiana).

I always assume that when we are hearing about news - then the folks in the know (coaches, head hunters, etc.) have known for a few days already as they work back-channels). So if you are a low-major conference coach looking to eventually move to P5...don't you wait until the openings of the high mid-major conferences are available to evaluate?

3/25/2017 1:47 pm  #630

Ifky 07 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

As others have previously mentioned there are numerous higher profile jobs than ours - not just from P5 + Georgetown - but within our own league. First, VCU (filled), then linking of Hurley to Georgetown means RI might open, now the news about Dayton (By the way, latest tweet from Rothstein says the official resignation letter is in and Miller will go to Indiana).

I always assume that when we are hearing about news - then the folks in the know (coaches, head hunters, etc.) have known for a few days already as they work back-channels). So if you are a low-major conference coach looking to eventually move to P5...don't you wait until the openings of the high mid-major conferences are available to evaluate?

Of course. That's why DU, and UMass tried to move quickly. Didn't work though. You saw the mess that was the Pitt search a year ago. Unless you are a successful team that is promoting an assistant, or you have a former assistant who is winning as a head coach at a lower level school ready to come back, you're pretty much consigned to waiting until the lions finish feeding.

3/25/2017 1:58 pm  #631

Miller going to Indiana!!

3/25/2017 5:39 pm  #632

duq81 wrote:

Ifky 07 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Of course. That's why DU, and UMass tried to move quickly. Didn't work though. You saw the mess that was the Pitt search a year ago. Unless you are a successful team that is promoting an assistant, or you have a former assistant who is winning as a head coach at a lower level school ready to come back, you're pretty much consigned to waiting until the lions finish feeding.

Your exactly right

3/25/2017 7:01 pm  #633

From what I read on this board, DU has a MBB budget that ranks it 6th out of 14.
Assuming that rank is correct, our return on investment for five years was 11th last year,
our best finish.  What business would tolerate such a low return on investment?
RE cleaned out the roster when he started.  He still managed to field a team that won 11 games his
first year.
The regular signing period is April and May.
The new coach, who, I hope, is hired next week, should be able to
cobbled together enough JC, graduate transfers and freshmen to create
a viable roster.
As to what happens after that depends on Harper, Gormley and the new coach.

3/25/2017 7:26 pm  #634

What about ex-NC state Coach Marc Gottfried?!

Last edited by lilpav30 (3/25/2017 8:12 pm)

3/25/2017 7:51 pm  #635

I've been a long time lurker on this board and I figure it is actually time to get into the game to offer some perspective.

Ron Everhart was fired on March 23rd. Jim Ferry was hired on April 10th. It took 18 days to hire a new coach.

Ferry was terminated on the 13th and today is the 25th meaning it has only been 12 days.

Also, only four (Cleveland State, Youngstown State, USF and North Texas) of the 15 teams that finished with worse KenPom ratings than the Dukes have hired coaches.

Not counting Dayton which just opened, there were six mid-major schools with openings VCU, UNC Wilmington, Arkansas State, UMass, Rice and Morehead State. Four schools have found replacements and UMass and Wilmington remain open.

The primary frustration with this process is how public it has been. Getting turned down by at least four coaches that we know of (Rice, Becker, Fife and Whitford) has not been fun, to say the least, but if it were not for the public rejections it would not be out of the ordinary for a program of Duquesne's caliber to take this long to find a new coach.

3/25/2017 9:34 pm  #636

Yep.

3/26/2017 10:29 am  #637

Hey Folks.  Long time visitor.  First time poster.
​Just thought I'd throw out a name.
Herb Sendek.
Thoughts ?

3/26/2017 11:21 am  #638

Sendak just completed his first year in Gonzaga's league. He will finish third or fourth there every year but his team will compete.

3/26/2017 11:53 am  #639

I know things seem bleak right now.  Keep the faith.  There at around 350 D-1 Basketball schools.  That is a lot of head coaches and assistants. We reportedly had 4 pass on us.  You've got to think that there are more than 4 qualified coaches out there who would be willing to take on this challenge. Let's hope Mr. Harper can find the right one.  This is coming from someone who has suffered as a fan for many, many years.

3/26/2017 1:33 pm  #640

Jan van Breda Kolff?  Possible?

3/26/2017 2:07 pm  #641

He can coach; but he was using trade school grads at St Bonaventure and got them whacked by the NCAA

3/26/2017 4:45 pm  #642

http://www.duqsm.com/2017-mbb-coaching-search-continues/

Here is a good summary ofor candid ates.  I'm thinking Steele in my mind!

3/27/2017 12:26 pm  #643

Colin Dunlap on 93.7 this AM said that according to a "reliable source" in the athletic dept., Duquesne has no plans to talk with Mike Rice.

3/27/2017 12:34 pm  #644

president wrote:

Colin Dunlap on 93.7 this AM said that according to a "reliable source" in the athletic dept., Duquesne has no plans to talk with Mike Rice.

Rats!

3/27/2017 12:41 pm  #645

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/03/27/duquesne-close-hiring-coach/

Does anyone trust this? More leaks intent to sabotage? 

3/27/2017 12:49 pm  #646

this doesn't seem to diabolical. only outlet reported it. it's not saying "the sides are close". it's saying, they met yesterday, the cards are in Dambrot's hands.

i'm not trusting PSN a ton right now, but this is a fairly toned down report. so now we wait...

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/27/2017 1:07 pm  #647

It's essentially what our poster "Grands" said here, when, Saturday?

3/27/2017 1:31 pm  #648

Originally posted that I  thought Dambrot a bit long in the tooth for an undertaking the likes of the DU program right now but, upon further review, would be glad to have him!! Hope it works out but not counting any chickens just yet!

3/27/2017 1:33 pm  #649

Balls in his court meaning he is going back to Akron to leverage more money from them.  It just gets old.  That's why I would talk to assistant coaches.  They aren't getting HC money from their school, and you are offering them something they can't get at their present school.  A chance to be a HC. 
Head Coaches will just play their little game of extortion.

3/27/2017 1:34 pm  #650

Jackdoc13 wrote:

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/03/27/duquesne-close-hiring-coach/

Does anyone trust this? More leaks intent to sabotage? 

As someone who follows quite a bit of Pitt football recruiting I am very familiar with PSN.  They are not malicious or trying to sabotage anything.  They are just more worried about being first than being right.  Not to defend them, they are a bunch of numb skulls.  But they aren't trying to sabotage Duquesne.  They jump the gun on all their Pitt news too.

Last edited by Panthers & Dukes (3/27/2017 1:35 pm)

Board footera