Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2017 9:56 am  #51

Re: New coach thread

ADVERTISERS COULD PULL ADS???

Yesterday I went out for an event and put the game on in the car. First, The AM station reception was abysmal. Then, I remembered back at the end of the Née days when it seemed there were less ads near his end and thus only a few advertisers. I was wondering who else would be listening to that game on the radio. If the big mistake is made and Ferry stays,I would imagine it will get tougher to get advertsisers to support Duquesne. I mean what large audience numbers can be "truthfully" shown for folks to fork over big bucks.

2/26/2017 10:12 am  #52

DCSTL wrote:

I was trying to think of who Harper may have seen or even had a relationship with in his time in Dayton. This is pure speculation as I have no insight at all but is it possible that Harper had a relationship with former Wright State coach Billy Donlon (now an assistant at Michigan) and what would you think of him? Young guy, and he seemed to have a good reputation and record at Wright State and is from the Brad Brownell tree.

Decent track record, nothing that really jumps out at you. He took over a program that was already winning, and maintained it. There's nothing there to indicate that he can raise a program from the dead. As for Brad Brownell, he's hardly been a success at Clemson, so that's not really a tree you want to be looking at.

2/27/2017 6:09 pm  #53

duq81 wrote:

DCSTL wrote:

I was trying to think of who Harper may have seen or even had a relationship with in his time in Dayton. This is pure speculation as I have no insight at all but is it possible that Harper had a relationship with former Wright State coach Billy Donlon (now an assistant at Michigan) and what would you think of him? Young guy, and he seemed to have a good reputation and record at Wright State and is from the Brad Brownell tree.

Decent track record, nothing that really jumps out at you. He took over a program that was already winning, and maintained it. There's nothing there to indicate that he can raise a program from the dead. As for Brad Brownell, he's hardly been a success at Clemson, so that's not really a tree you want to be looking at.

So Duquesne hasn't been to the Dance since the '70's but we're going to look down our noses at Brownell, a guy who has taken three different programs to the Dance this century? I think this is exactly the kind of tree that Duquesne should be looking at...because it's likely to be the most successful type of tree that will be looking back at Duquesne.

2/27/2017 11:07 pm  #54

DCSTL wrote:

duq81 wrote:

DCSTL wrote:

So Duquesne hasn't been to the Dance since the '70's but we're going to look down our noses at Brownell, a guy who has taken three different programs to the Dance this century? I think this is exactly the kind of tree that Duquesne should be looking at...because it's likely to be the most successful type of tree that will be looking back at Duquesne.

I don't think Duq81 is saying he would be a terrible choice. I simply think he is suggesting that we need to really really shoot for the moon and he this hire right.  This could be it.  We all have the guy we want (I want Pat Kelsey) but the bottom line is that we want someone who will bring excitement and stability.  Here are my top choices:

Pat Kelsey Winthrop coach.  Former associate head coach at Xavier under Chris Mack. 

Vermont Head Coach John Becker.  He stresses defense which is good.  Stable program and didn't miss a beat after Longeram left.  Has won with his own players.  Might be hard to hire. 

Baker Dunleavy associate head coach of Nova - this would be an exciting hire that would excited the fan base I think.  I'd be a bit worried by his lack of experience as Pat Chambers hasn't exactly dominated from Jay Wright's pedigree. 

Tim Cluees Iona head coach - safe and solid hire.  I would be happy with him as I know we would stabilize and be good.  Curious why he hasn't left Iona yet though.  Might be happy and not want to leave. 

Matt Driscoll - North Florida - don't know much about him.  Seems to have done a great job building a program from nothing.  Pittsburgh guy?

Kenya Hunter - Some hate this idea.  Not me.  I think he has had a wealth of experience learning from lots of great coaches.  Wouldn't be my first choice by any means, but I'd be happy with the hire. 

There are plenty more as I haven't even touched on retreads.  A guy like Anthony Grant would be a great hire IMO.  It's all about finding the right guy who still has fire.  For instance, Travis Ford is recruiting out of his mind right now.  Sometimes getting fired sparks a rage to prove the haters wrong.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

2/27/2017 11:42 pm  #55

Simms wrote:

DCSTL wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I don't think Duq81 is saying he would be a terrible choice. I simply think he is suggesting that we need to really really shoot for the moon and he this hire right. This could be it. We all have the guy we want (I want Pat Kelsey) but the bottom line is that we want someone who will bring excitement and stability. Here are my top choices:

Pat Kelsey Winthrop coach. Former associate head coach at Xavier under Chris Mack.

Vermont Head Coach John Becker. He stresses defense which is good. Stable program and didn't miss a beat after Longeram left. Has won with his own players. Might be hard to hire.

Baker Dunleavy associate head coach of Nova - this would be an exciting hire that would excited the fan base I think. I'd be a bit worried by his lack of experience as Pat Chambers hasn't exactly dominated from Jay Wright's pedigree.

Tim Cluees Iona head coach - safe and solid hire. I would be happy with him as I know we would stabilize and be good. Curious why he hasn't left Iona yet though. Might be happy and not want to leave.

Matt Driscoll - North Florida - don't know much about him. Seems to have done a great job building a program from nothing. Pittsburgh guy?

Kenya Hunter - Some hate this idea. Not me. I think he has had a wealth of experience learning from lots of great coaches. Wouldn't be my first choice by any means, but I'd be happy with the hire.

There are plenty more as I haven't even touched on retreads. A guy like Anthony Grant would be a great hire IMO. It's all about finding the right guy who still has fire. For instance, Travis Ford is recruiting out of his mind right now. Sometimes getting fired sparks a rage to prove the haters wrong.

What I like about a guy like Anthony Grant is that I can't imagine him being a total failure. He might not get us a high as we want, but I can't see us being garbage under him like we are now. Driscoll's record doesn't really impress me, and I couldn't care less that he's from Pittsburgh. Our two worst coaches were from Pittsburgh. Hunter has never been on a great staff. If he didn't play here, no one would want him. Love the idea of Baker Dunleavy. Love Pat Kelsey as well as Tim Cluess, and Becker. These are the guys who should be on our short list.

2/28/2017 6:22 am  #56

I'm with Simms. Go hard for the best guy out there.

Whoever he is.

2/28/2017 7:48 am  #57

Simms, thanks for rea searching and compiling this list. Nicely done.

2/28/2017 10:24 am  #58

An excerpt from Dejan Kovacevic at DKPittsburghSports.com (behind a pay wall):
https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2017/02/28/tuesday-takes-pirates-first-big-loss-2017-awesome/

"• Speaking of history: Duquesne hasn't made the NCAA Tournament since 1977. I know most don't care. I know Old Main hasn't cared for far too long. But every once in a while, it's worth mentioning, you'd think.
• I like Jim Ferry. I love the two freshman guards he uncovered in Isiaha Mike and Mike Lewis II. But the administration brought in David Harper from Dayton, the model Atlantic 10 school, for a reason. An AD always should be free to pick his coach, and that goes double when that coach hasn't won for half a decade."

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (2/28/2017 10:25 am)

2/28/2017 10:56 am  #59

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

An excerpt from Dejan Kovacevic at DKPittsburghSports.com (behind a pay wall):
https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2017/02/28/tuesday-takes-pirates-first-big-loss-2017-awesome/

"• Speaking of history: Duquesne hasn't made the NCAA Tournament since 1977. I know most don't care. I know Old Main hasn't cared for far too long. But every once in a while, it's worth mentioning, you'd think.
• I like Jim Ferry. I love the two freshman guards he uncovered in Isiaha Mike and Mike Lewis II. But the administration brought in David Harper from Dayton, the model Atlantic 10 school, for a reason. An AD always should be free to pick his coach, and that goes double when that coach hasn't won for half a decade."

Everything we have been saying. I think we are at the point where Ferry's defencencies have become glaringly obvious to the point where it's a story worth mentioning for these local media guys. I really don't think his future could possibly be in question at this point. If he isn't fired I'm done following this joke of a program.

2/28/2017 11:11 am  #60

Defencencies should be a word associated with Ferry: Defensive deficiencies. I like it.

Works in a Smalltime program.

2/28/2017 12:16 pm  #61

I don't like the coaching, but Duquesne has added some decent talent in the past few years.  Mike & Mike are the most recent examples.  I would hate to see them transfer when Ferry is let go.  But if it happens, so be it.  Still, the head coach is not usually the first guy out there in the recruiting lanes.  So, do we have someone on the staff that has been the key guy bringing in that talent? 

2/28/2017 2:41 pm  #62

When the head coach goes, the entire staff needs to be replaced. No incoming coach would ever want to deal with another coach's left over assistants!

2/28/2017 3:04 pm  #63

president wrote:

When the head coach goes, the entire staff needs to be replaced. No incoming coach would ever want to deal with another coach's left over assistants!

Not always true. Tubby Smith kept an assistant from Josh Pastner's staff at Memphis. The assistant is the father of Memphis' best player, with another stud on the way.

2/28/2017 7:44 pm  #64

Quoting stuff only creates more work for me. So you're stuck with that one.

2/28/2017 10:39 pm  #65

Don Maser was retained when Jim Satalin was hired.

3/01/2017 10:09 am  #66

There are exceptions to every rule. Not sure that I want anyone from the current staff retained even if they have a pipeline or two. The next staff could be infinitely better at the recruiting process and might not take 3 years to uncover a good recruit.

3/01/2017 11:16 am  #67

Duquesne's 1st Year was 1913.  They have had 16 coaches through today.

OUT OF THOSE  16, Ferry is 13th out of 16 so far with a Winning % of .400.

The 3 coaches with a worse winning %:  Edgar, Née, Porter.

Mr. Harper - this should not be that difficult of a decision.  Out of 103 seasons/16 coaches, Ferry has the 13th worse winning percentage.

3/01/2017 12:18 pm  #68

Shrug, over on the A-10 board, did a very astute and creative job of recapping the A-10 coaches on or off the hot seat.  Take a peek:  http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/533937-10-hot-seat-index-burnin-bernies-16.html#post14835226

3/01/2017 2:03 pm  #69

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Shrug, over on the A-10 board, did a very astute and creative job of recapping the A-10 coaches on or off the hot seat.  Take a peek:  http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/533937-10-hot-seat-index-burnin-bernies-16.html#post14835226

Yeah, I saw that.

3/03/2017 12:15 pm  #70

LeVelle Moton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfaZhQgk0mk
I saw this guy mentioned as a possible candidate at NC St. I don't think they would hire a low major coach, but compare how quickly he got things going, to how long it took Ferry. Definitely a guy to put on our list.

3/06/2017 4:22 pm  #71

I would hire Moton yesterday.  I would like to keep the incentives in the contract somehow, he and his staff get $ for post season trips, Moton himself gets a car.  Would keep most anyone striving to be the best.

3/06/2017 4:40 pm  #72

townsonkid wrote:

I would hire Moton yesterday.  I would like to keep the incentives in the contract somehow, he and his staff get $ for post season trips, Moton himself gets a car.  Would keep most anyone striving to be the best.

That stuff won't work. He'd be here until he got a better money offer from a place where he thought he could win, and I'm good with that. Imagine us having a coach that someone else wanted. Would mean he got the job done.

3/06/2017 5:06 pm  #73

If a change is made, and I don't think it will happen this off-season, I don't see an up and coming young coach like Moton taking a chance on destroying his career at a high-risk job like Duquesne.  It's not just Duquesne either, but look at the coaches in the A-10, and how they are performing.  It is a tough league on coaches.  There are probably only 4-5 coaches in the league who are not struggling to keep their jobs.

3/06/2017 5:15 pm  #74

levon1975 wrote:

If a change is made, and I don't think it will happen this off-season, I don't see an up and coming young coach like Moton taking a chance on destroying his career at a high-risk job like Duquesne.  It's not just Duquesne either, but look at the coaches in the A-10, and how they are performing.  It is a tough league on coaches.  There are probably only 4-5 coaches in the league who are not struggling to keep their jobs.

That's going to be the case in any upper level league. A coach coming from a dregs league like the MEAC is not likely to jump into a cream P5 job. If he gets an offer, it's going to be the Rutgers, and Clemsons of the world. Not much job security there. Win big at Duquesne, and doors will open.

3/06/2017 8:37 pm  #75

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

C'mon Iron Duke. We're all (or mostly; a few posters make me wonder) on the same side.

No Duquesne coach is in the hall of fame and the pinnacle of our existence in basketball is the 1955 NIT. Three years before I was born. Calipari is a cheater who has had NCAA Tournament teams vacated at two different schools. S. Miller is a ​ head. No one loves the city of Pittsburgh or its people more than me, but the answer is not going to be found within the city limits any time soon.

Peace.

Chick should be in the Hall. Guys from his era get penalized because they don't have a bunch of trips to the NCAA Tournament, which didn't exist during most of his run.

Ridiculous that Chick Davies isn't in the HOF, Hard to believe, no way that can be justified!

Board footera