Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2017 10:43 am  #176

Re: New coach thread

Simms wrote:

Can we stop implying that no one will come to Duquesne?  None of you know this.  No one knows what candidates will accept the position until Harper announces our next coach.  Stop judging the job based upon past expectations.  1 million dollars over 5 years is enough money to retire indefinitely.  I think that plenty of coaches would jump at the opportunity, especially if we offered new facilities and a new administration.  If we hire Mike Rice, great, but until then, let's be patient and see.  We all have our choices, but I hope that regardless of who is chosen we rally behind them.  This includes retreads like Groce.  

Simms, you are 100% correct. Things have changed with Harper/Gormley so drastically that you can pretty much discard the previous 40 years of failure. In reality, a potential coach is looking at the Dave Harper era - 2 years of history and more importantly - what support is forthcoming from Harper/Gormley in the next 1-5 years. That's it.

It may be hard to believe, but the Dukes job is very attractive right now. A head coach job in the A-10 is prestigious. And if the new coach wins at Duquesne, he would be in incredibly high demand for huge bucks at a P-5 school.

3/16/2017 11:32 am  #177

Tom Crean fired at Indiana.  That will tilt the Power 5 coaching dominoes.  Where will Crean land, NC State?  Who will go to Indiana?  Believe it or not this could open things out for guys like LeVelle Moton who was mentioned for NC State.  Stay tuned.

3/16/2017 12:00 pm  #178

I have the UNCW game on in the background at work. I'm convinced Kevin keatts is the perfect candidate imo. UNCW currently beating virginia. Super athletic team playing great man defense.

Really athletic on offense as well, 4 players out there look to penetrate and pass. Move the ball extremely well and take great shots. They basically drive and kick and move until they get a good look, whether inside or out.

3/16/2017 12:05 pm  #179

They are up 23-11 full court pressing and kicking their ass.

3/16/2017 12:10 pm  #180

https://mobile.twitter.com/collegeinsider/status/793132851860533248

Take a look a this local coach doing big things at UT Martin. From the hill district doing an unbelievably impressive job.

His grandfather is a Duquesne alum and 1st black judge in the city of Pittsburgh for more than 30 years,
Judge James Warren Watson.

3/16/2017 1:10 pm  #181

I haven't seen his name linked to Duquesne and it is convenient to say it now with how this game is playing out but what Mitch Henderson has done at Princeton this year isn't a fluke. They've been mostly solid to excellent on both ends of the floor in his six years there.

3/16/2017 1:29 pm  #182

3/16/2017 2:46 pm  #183

Duques102 wrote:

They lost!  So maybe not.

3/16/2017 2:50 pm  #184

levon1975 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

I hope you don't think we should disqualify candidates because they lose NCAA games against P5 schools. The list will get very short if you do that.

3/16/2017 3:13 pm  #185

levon1975 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Not to be too personal, but Ferry's teams blew a lead or two while he was here.

3/16/2017 3:55 pm  #186

ElDuque wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Not to be too personal, but Ferry's teams blew a lead or two while he was here.

Guys your talking about a team from the CAA, a 12 seed, losing to a Virginia team that was ranked in the top 15 in the nation basically all year long and is a perennial ACC powerhouse.

The fact that they lost in the end doesn't say anything about Keats, if you actually watched the game you would have seen the kid from UNCW throw the ball out of bounds to a teammate who wasn't looking when they had the ball down three with no shot clock. The kid melted in crunch time and I feel bad for him.

UNCW doesn't get kids as highly rated as Duquesne. Virginia gets some of the best talent in the United States and around the world. The fact that they basically lost by one possession should tell you enough about what kind of coach Keats is. His team was so disciplined defensively and executed the offensive game plan to a t. They were smaller and severely less talented and hung around all game long. They were able to exploit space with excellent ball movement to get good shots, despite their talent mismatch. That is a sign of good coaching. If Ferry coached them in that game with the same players, they would have lost by 30.

If anything we should be happy they lost because one or two wins would have put him in the power 5 stratosphere for sure. At least now we may have a realistic chance at taking a shot at him. If you just say oh he's not a good coach because UNCW lost to Virginia today you don't know anything about college basketball.

Harper had another great quote in that interview about going after coaching targets, "worst they can say is no". I wasn't sure about Harper until about a week ago, I think this is the guy to get us out of the woods.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/16/2017 4:01 pm)

3/16/2017 3:58 pm  #187

Unfortunately, I think Keatts is out of our range at this point. I think he's holding out for a P5 job.

3/16/2017 4:06 pm  #188

Dukes2012 wrote:

Unfortunately, I think Keatts is out of our range at this point. I think he's holding out for a P5 job.

I fear your right but we should at least hold out hope. Watching that team up 15 at one point my first thought was damn are they well coached not damn are they talented. Their spacing and ball movement  was ridiculous, they looked like an NBA team from that perspective

3/16/2017 4:09 pm  #189

Nathan Davis and bucknell put up a nice fight against WVU. Another name to keep an eye on.

3/16/2017 5:08 pm  #190

Dukes2012 wrote:

Nathan Davis and bucknell put up a nice fight against WVU. Another name to keep an eye on.

What about this middle Tennessee coach? Beat Michigan state last year, about to beat Minnesota....

3/16/2017 8:21 pm  #191

I think the MT coach would be good - but he (and the kids for that matter) are all towing the same line "make Middle Tenn a national power". I knew it was coach speak - but then to hear the seniors say it was pretty cool. I think it means he is staying put.

I don't think Keats would be out of the question. He only has 3 years of D1 experience - is that enough to upgrade him to P5 from a low major? Plus, if the $1m salary is right, it would be over a 3x increase from his current salary. 

3/16/2017 9:20 pm  #192

Ifky!  Glad to see some of us from our floor still support the Dukes!  Hope life is treating you well.  We should all meet up for a game sometime once we have a real coach!  I also think Keatts is doable, but I think it'll take a lot.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/16/2017 11:14 pm  #193

Let's hope a few of the schools go the retread route, and leave more of the good candidates for us. I think what some don't realize about Keatts, is that he coached Hargrave Military Academy for ten years. He is deeply connected at the high school, and AAU level in a way that the other candidates aren't. I would expect him to be able to raise the talent level here significantly. That said, he's a long shot, but we can dream can't we?

3/17/2017 8:15 am  #194

There is no way Dambrot should even be approached. We need a guy who wants to be here. He's in a comfortable spot, and he needs to be a lifer at Akron. If I don't hear that they at least approached Keatts, Becker, and Kelsey, I'm going to think it's more of the same nonsense.

3/17/2017 8:22 am  #195

If I were Mr. Harper, I would PUBLICLY announce that Dambrot approached us and that we turned him down because we want someone who wants to be here. Then I would do it again a couple days later, and then every couple of days.

Just so he gets the message.

3/17/2017 9:09 am  #196

duq81 wrote:

There is no way Dambrot should even be approached. We need a guy who wants to be here. He's in a comfortable spot, and he needs to be a lifer at Akron. If I don't hear that they at least approached Keatts, Becker, and Kelsey, I'm going to think it's more of the same nonsense.

Relax, these guys were occupied until yesterday.  I am sure that Harper is conducting an appropriate search and has his targets firmly in mind.  He even said in his interview that some of the people he wanted to talk to were still playing . Unlike the cluster that Amodio presided over Harper knows what he is doing.  BTW, I think that if Dambrot expressed any interest it would be because he wants to use DU to leverage another pay raise at Akron.

3/17/2017 9:18 am  #197

I wonder if Joe Dooley of FGCU is under consideration?
He is a tough defensive minded coach and last night they battled Florida State down to the wire despite the two 7 footers matched up against his two 6-8 forwards.

He doesn't make a lot , around 200m with bonuses but at 51 and success at FGCU and Kansas as crack recruiter and top Asst. for years, he might put the toughness into the Duquesne Program.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/17/2017 9:18 am  #198

Mulder wrote:

Over on the A10 board at the link below there is a long post started back in 2013 that continues today about coaching rumors, with the last page on the Dukes and rumors from the UD board that Dambrot is a top candidate here.  The link:  http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/533937-10-hot-seat-index-burnin-bernies-18.html

I know he was mentioned over here somewhere so I don't mean to beat this into the ground but it's an interesting brief discussion.  I don't recall Dambrot's problem at CMU but whether that was an issue or not I do recall his attitude when he was considered to replace Ron and that alone is enough to make me say "no" even without the added baggage.

We have the opportunity to make a statement not unlike Pitt last year.  They stumbled badly essentially saving the career of the AD's buddy rather than bringing in someone who could change the face of the program.  The latter is what we need and I hope that Mr. Harper is on the same track assuming that we are becoming attractive enough to have the interest of a solid coach.  Let's do this right.

No way in hell we go after a guy who turned us down when things were bad here. No way we go after a guy that got turned down by the dumpster fire that was the last ad, it would be a pr nightmare and frankly, we can do better.

3/17/2017 9:24 am  #199

Keith Dambrot past 13 years has won 305 games including #27 (this year) Wednesday at Houston, nine (9) conference championships plus COY twice past 3 years.  Oh, his dad is a former DU player in the Sihugo/Ricketts era.  What's not to like?  

3/17/2017 9:52 am  #200

Phildog wrote:

I wonder if Joe Dooley of FGCU is under consideration?
He is a tough defensive minded coach and last night they battled Florida State down to the wire despite the two 7 footers matched up against his two 6-8 forwards.

He doesn't make a lot , around 200m with bonuses but at 51 and success at FGCU and Kansas as crack recruiter and top Asst. for years, he might put the toughness into the Duquesne Program.

I think he would be a great choice Phil.  The guy is pretty much all that Harper described. He has won 21 games or more each of the last 4 years at FGCU and the NCAA each of the last two years along with an NIT and CBI trip.  I would take him for sure.

Board footera