Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2017 9:19 am  #1

Could Duquesne get lucky?

Does anyone think there is any chance that JF sees the writing on the wall and follows the footsteps of his benefactor, the former AD, and pursues and lands another job? 

2/05/2017 9:28 am  #2

Re: Could Duquesne get lucky?

theprofessor1099 wrote:

Does anyone think there is any chance that JF sees the writing on the wall and follows the footsteps of his benefactor, the former AD, and pursues and lands another job? 

LOL! No one is going to hire him as a head coach at this point. They are going to have to bite the bullet and eat the extra year.  We will be depending on Harper to do his due diligence, and find the right coach. He is out there (probably more than one). We then have to hope that no bad luck strikes.
We need to keep losing, so that there is no doubt about what needs to be done.

2/05/2017 9:40 am  #3

The chances of another team hiring Ferry to be in charge would be about the same percentage that another country wants to hire Trump to be in charge...not trying to bring politics into this, just giving a comparison.

BTW - speaking of getting "lucky" thanks to our moderator for nuking the naked girl.

Last edited by FAM (2/05/2017 9:41 am)

2/05/2017 9:53 am  #4

I'm glad that I could give everyone a laugh this morning after another pounding of the Dukes!  If our AD signed him, there has to be one more out there, no?  It's a big country.  We can dream, can't we?

2/05/2017 9:58 am  #5

I'll delete any future posts with any political references.

There, fair warning.

2/05/2017 10:11 am  #6

ED, not sure he would voluntarily do that as he would lose about $600K. It would save him the embarrassment of being fired though. PSU's former coach did that by taking the navy job.

2/05/2017 10:46 am  #7

theprofessor1099 wrote:

Who would want a coach who has 3 winning seasons in 16 years, two of whom in a conference which exists to provide a #16 Cupcake for the Kentuckys of the world?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/05/2017 11:09 am  #8

Dukes2012 wrote:

ED, not sure he would voluntarily do that as he would lose about $600K. It would save him the embarrassment of being fired though. PSU's former coach did that by taking the navy job.

PSU's coach was coming off of a trip to the NCAAs.

2/05/2017 11:49 am  #9

duq81 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Yeah but the cupboard was pretty empty if I remember correctly and a lot of psu people I know where pretty fed up with finishing at or near the bottom of the big ten every year.

2/05/2017 12:10 pm  #10

Dukes2012 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Yeah but the cupboard was pretty empty if I remember correctly and a lot of psu people I know where pretty fed up with finishing at or near the bottom of the big ten every year.

The cupboard was bare, which is what made it a tough situation. It was going to take 2-3 years to rebuild, and PSU didn't want to give him a full extension. On the other hand, how can you fire a coach who just took a 3rd rate program to the NCAAs? It was in many ways, similar to the situation RE was in when he got fired, a coach who had some success, but was facing a rebuild, and needed to be extended. Dechellis made it easy for PSU by taking another job. Had Ron been quietly told that they were thinking of making a change, he may have had the same opportunity, which is one of the things that upset him most.

2/05/2017 5:03 pm  #11

Dukes2012 wrote:

I never said I thought he would quit.

I said the twits responsible for his hire should chip in to buy him out.

2/05/2017 5:27 pm  #12

With St. Louis and UMASS in our next 2 games we can go a long in wrapping up the 14th seed in the A10 tourney.

2/05/2017 6:01 pm  #13

WashPaRick wrote:

With St. Louis and UMASS in our next 2 games we can go a long in wrapping up the 14th seed in the A10 tourney.

Wonder what attendance will be like? It might help that quite a few Pitt fans won't be going up to NYC for the ACC Tourney this year. Bona vs Dayton would be the best matchup in the final. Might get 10,000 for that.

2/05/2017 6:21 pm  #14

duq81 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

The cupboard was bare, which is what made it a tough situation. It was going to take 2-3 years to rebuild, and PSU didn't want to give him a full extension. On the other hand, how can you fire a coach who just took a 3rd rate program to the NCAAs? It was in many ways, similar to the situation RE was in when he got fired, a coach who had some success, but was facing a rebuild, and needed to be extended. Dechellis made it easy for PSU by taking another job. Had Ron been quietly told that they were thinking of making a change, he may have had the same opportunity, which is one of the things that upset him most.

I'm sorry but how can you possibly state"what upset him most". Do you know Ron, talk to him. Maybe before you proceed with pure  SPECULATION take the time call him at WVU and get his side of the story. It sickens me to read on this board statements from the Amodio apologists who spew BS about RE.

Last edited by Ironduke81 (2/05/2017 6:24 pm)

2/05/2017 6:28 pm  #15

RE interviewed for the PSU job that went to Chambers while he was still under
contract with DU.
I imagine that CD was not happy about an employee of the school looking 
for another job while still with the school.
That probably was another reason that DU fired RE.

2/05/2017 6:45 pm  #16

duq81 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

​When Ron was called into Charlie's office to be told he was being let go, he asked for 7 or 10 days (can't remember which) to find another job. Finding another job would have preserved his dignity and obviously would have been better for his coaching career. Charlie refused and told him a presser was already scheduled to announce his firing. It would have been easy to cancel and give Ron a chance to check out alternatives. Not only was he deprived of this, but the internal memo leak covering all the reasons he was being let go added insult to injury.

2/05/2017 7:03 pm  #17

Econ69 wrote:

RE interviewed for the PSU job that went to Chambers while he was still under
contract with DU.
I imagine that CD was not happy about an employee of the school looking 
for another job while still with the school.
That probably was another reason that DU fired RE.

Another insightful post .

2/06/2017 1:06 am  #18

Westender wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

​When Ron was called into Charlie's office to be told he was being let go, he asked for 7 or 10 days (can't remember which) to find another job. Finding another job would have preserved his dignity and obviously would have been better for his coaching career. Charlie refused and told him a presser was already scheduled to announce his firing. It would have been easy to cancel and give Ron a chance to check out alternatives. Not only was he deprived of this, but the internal memo leak covering all the reasons he was being let go added insult to injury.

Exactly what I was talking about, which mr "I hate NY" seems not to remember. How this is an attack on Ron I don't know. It's actually a defense of Ron, but I guess if you don't write "Amodio sucks" after every post, it's an attack on Ron in his eyes.
If I remember correctly, Ron actually had some opportunities, which of course, dried up after he was fired.

2/06/2017 6:47 am  #19

Westender wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

A side of the story I never knew.

Only adds to the failed legacy of Dr. Chuckie and the vermin Greg Amodio. And of course the Board of Massengill Products.

If you're a Duquesne alumnus and/or fan and you supported those clowns through that process, then you too share in this failure. 

2/06/2017 4:02 pm  #20

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Exactly what I was talking about, which mr "I hate NY" seems not to remember. How this is an attack on Ron I don't know. It's actually a defense of Ron, but I guess if you don't write "Amodio sucks" after every post, it's an attack on Ron in his eyes.
If I remember correctly, Ron actually had some opportunities, which of course, dried up after he was fired.

​I don't know if he had "opportunities" (plural) but I'm pretty sure he had  serious interest from at least one other team - a MAC school I think. He was denied the chance to pursue the job when Charlie refused to cancel the press conference to announce his firing , and the leaked memo has probably closed off other coaching opportunities he might have had a chance to explore. No one can deny, whether you agree with his firing or not, that his termination was merciless and mean spirited - certainly not in keeping with the principles of a Catholic institution. Amodio must have had some deep seated disdain and dislike for Ron, and Charlie was too weak and clueless to deal with the situation like a real leader would.

2/06/2017 10:27 pm  #21

Even though he didn't prioritize the basketball program as much as we may have liked, Charlie was recognized far & wide by his peers as an outstanding university president for DU & has a national reputation as a scholar..  The criticism he gets here is narrow minded, mean-spirited, & based on jumbled priorities. 

It is a university with a basketball team; not the other way around.

2/07/2017 6:55 am  #22

phil95 wrote:

Even though he didn't prioritize the basketball program as much as we may have liked, Charlie was recognized far & wide by his peers as an outstanding university president for DU & has a national reputation as a scholar..  The criticism he gets here is narrow minded, mean-spirited, & based on jumbled priorities. 

It is a university with a basketball team; not the other way around.

Phil, during his tenure, the basketball program got pulled through  , the Tamburitzens got kicked out, and the university was embroiled in more than one scandal.

In my humble opinion, the brand was tarnished on his watch.

I'm sure the university presidents at Duke, Alabama, Clemson, Kentucky, Villanova are all very impressed. As are the presidents at the other A10 schools.

2/07/2017 8:51 am  #23

As usual, your global grasp of the issues & razor sharp insights have allowed me to better understand a complicated situation. I was way too focused on the increase in endowment, physical plant, enrollment, graduate programs, research grants, & general academic standards when assessing the tenure of the past president. 

2/07/2017 9:05 am  #24

Bravo, Phil95, your statement is mature and profound. As much as I am disappointed at the Dukes, I am pleased and proud at the university. I am glad I am not alone.

2/07/2017 9:56 am  #25

I think Duke, N. Carolina, Villanova, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Ohio State, (I could go on for days) have great academic institutions and still manage to win a few basketball games along the way as well. Heck, Villanova is a catholic university not much larger than Duquesne. As a graduate (School of Music, '69) I am proud of my degree from Duquesne and proud of the many academic accomplishments of the university That is no reason to accept the crap basketball program that we have. Strong sports only enhance the public image of colleges and universities and make for a better student experience. As graduates of the university and sports fans, I think we would simply like to take some  pride in the signature sport on campus. For me it's about pride in the school. DU should strive for excellence in every endeavor. Obviously, this is nowhere near a priority and what upsets me the most about this unfortunate basketball program. We could do better but not sure that is going to happen here ever.

Board footera