Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2017 6:32 pm  #26

Re: Current list of recruits for 2017

Duques102 wrote:

CLK wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

I'm wondering if Josh Colon is being looked at as a preferred walk on. I'm actually surprised he hasn't committed already.

I do not believe that Dambrot offered him on his visit.  My guess is that either Dambrot feels there are better options or Colon is a fall back if Jackson does not commit (by the way Jackson's dad is the an assistant at Detroit). I don't think Colon would walk on since he has an offer from VMI.

This goes back to what I said about him before, I really hope we don't lock him up for 4 years when he his clearly far down the list in terms of targets. He obviously is if he didn't get an offer before during or after the visit.

Ballyntine had us and Detroit as his top 2. I'm guessing he and Jackson will be a package deal.

4/13/2017 10:32 pm  #27

CLK wrote:

[(by the way Jackson's dad is the an assistant at Detroit)..

That's a serious twist on the Ballantyne / Jackson narrative that I was unaware of. The said is Jackson even considering Detroit. I don't recall them as one when I saw his top choices listed. 

4/13/2017 10:44 pm  #28

steve19981 wrote:

CLK wrote:

[(by the way Jackson's dad is the an assistant at Detroit)..

That's a serious twist on the Ballantyne / Jackson narrative that I was unaware of. That said, is Jackson even considering Detroit? I don't recall them as one when I saw his top choices listed. 

Nevermind, I saw they are one of the schools he's visiting. Not only is dad a coach he's a legacy!

4/14/2017 10:53 am  #29

I wouldn't bank too much on JRob since one article listed his injury as a partial ACL tear; that sounds pretty serious in terms of making a huge contribution next season.  I don't know how that heals without surgery.

4/14/2017 11:57 am  #30

WashPaRick wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I do not believe that Dambrot offered him on his visit.  My guess is that either Dambrot feels there are better options or Colon is a fall back if Jackson does not commit (by the way Jackson's dad is the an assistant at Detroit). I don't think Colon would walk on since he has an offer from VMI.

This goes back to what I said about him before, I really hope we don't lock him up for 4 years when he his clearly far down the list in terms of targets. He obviously is if he didn't get an offer before during or after the visit.

Ballyntine had us and Detroit as his top 2. I'm guessing he and Jackson will be a package deal.

I wouldnt necessarily say they will be a package deal for sure because Jackson holds a pac12 offer from Colorado and is visiting there and he may want to take his highest available offer. However, if they do decide to go package deal, it sounds like they will be choosing to either play close to home with a program they have personal ties to, or the highest level program they can go to together.

I could see us getting Ballantyne, both or none. Ballantyne if Jackson goes to Colorado. Both if Jackson decides on Duquesne (I think Ballantyne will go where Jackson goes if it's a place they both have an offer from), or non if they decide on Detroit.

I'm basing that off of the fact that Jackson is the higher rated recruit and Ballantyne seems interested in he pckage deal option.

4/15/2017 5:06 pm  #31

Current (5 scholarship players):
1 C/PF - Jordan Robinson Sr.
​2 SF - Eric James Sr., Kellon Taylor So. (non-scholarship)
​1 PG - Tarin Smith Jr.
​2 SG - Mike Lewis II So., Spencer Littleson So.

Committed (5 scholarship players):
2* F Marko Krivacevic 6-9 Jr.
2* G/SF Eric Williams 6-5 Fr.
​2* PG Tavian Dunn-Martin 5-8 So. in 2018-19 transfer from Akron
2* C Michael Hughes 6-9 So. in 2018-19 transfer from Akron
​3* G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. in 2018-19 transfer from Memphis

Leaves three open scholarships, with known recruits being:
3* PF Tydus Verhoeven Fr.
3* PG Jermaine Jackson 5-10
2* C Usman Haruna 7-0 Jr, JUCO
2* PF Jack Ballantyne 6-9
2* PG Torrey Patton 6-4
​2* F Nicholas Kratholm 6-8
​2* SG David Collins 6-3
2* PG Josh Colon 5-8
2* PF Nick Washington 6-8

These are in order of my own random, sight unseen, and probably wrong, preference.

4/15/2017 7:11 pm  #32

Two of the last 3 need to go to player 6-8 or taller, and we need a backup PG.  Got to wonder how long Coach D will wait for Jackson & Ballantyne to decide?  Jackson visits Colorado tomorrow and Monday.  So does Coach D give them till Wednesday to decide before filling those slots.  Also got to wonder with Williams commitment where Patton and Collins stand?   

4/15/2017 7:24 pm  #33

CLK wrote:

Two of the last 3 need to go to player 6-8 or taller, and we need a backup PG.  Got to wonder how long Coach D will wait for Jackson & Ballantyne to decide?  Jackson visits Colorado tomorrow and Monday.  So does Coach D give them till Wednesday to decide before filling those slots.  Also got to wonder with Williams commitment where Patton and Collins stand?   

That's what I was thinking, clk. Not sure how patient he can be at this point in the recruiting period. Jackson doesn't seem to be in any hurry.

4/16/2017 6:49 pm  #34

Current (5 scholarship players):
​1 PG - Tarin Smith Jr.

Committed (6 scholarship players):
2* F Nicholas Kratholm 6-8

Active roster for next year:
C/PF (3): Robinson, Krivacevic, Kratholm
Wings (3): James, Taylor, Williams
Guards (3): Lewis, Smith, Littleson

Leaves two open scholarships, with known recruits being:
3* PF Tydus Verhoeven Fr. 6-8
2* PG Torrey Patton 6-4
​2* SG David Collins 6-3
2* PG Josh Colon 5-8
2* PF Nick Washington 6-8

These are in order of my own random, sight unseen, and probably wrong, preference.

Another big and another PG in order.

4/21/2017 8:29 pm  #35

Current

5 returning scholarship players:
​1 PG - Tarin Smith Jr.

Committed (7 scholarship players):
3* PF Tydus Verhoeven Fr. 6-8
2* F Nicholas Kratholm 6-8 Fr.

Active roster for next year:
C/PF (4): Robinson, Krivacevic, Kratholm, Verhoeven
Wings (3): James, Taylor, Williams
Guards (3): Lewis, Smith, Littleson

Leaves one open scholarship, with known recruits being:
2* PG Torrey Patton 6-4
2* SG David Collins 6-3
2* PG Josh Colon 5-8
​2* PF Nick Washington 6-8

Another PG in order.

4/21/2017 8:32 pm  #36

Marcus Winters tomorrow.

4/21/2017 9:09 pm  #37

Hilltopper wrote:

Marcus Winters tomorrow.

Is he high school, juco or transfer?

4/21/2017 9:14 pm  #38

Hilltopper wrote:

Marcus Winters tomorrow.

Marcus Weathers? Or is this a different guy?

4/22/2017 5:13 am  #39

Stand corrected - Weathers it is! (6-5 sf avg 9.7ppg, Miami,O.)

4/22/2017 7:43 am  #40

Hilltopper wrote:

Stand corrected - Weathers it is! (6-5 sf avg 9.7ppg, Miami,O.)

His twin brother also transferred from Miami and signed with Oklahoma state. His brother averaged 16 ppg as a freshman. I guess they have decided to go their separate ways, as I don't believe Marcus is looking at osu.

4/23/2017 5:56 am  #41

Marcus Weathers is reported headed to DU.

He will be a very good player....wish his brother would join him.  His brother will play in the NBA for sure...would be one of the A10 best players in a few years.  I am wondering if his deal to play at OK State ins inked yet...I know Weathers mother wanted them to stay together and they signed with Miami for that same reason.  I hope there is still a chance to get both.

That may require playing a few walk-ons next year and it may be really rough next year.  LOL  

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (4/23/2017 11:35 am)

4/25/2017 9:53 am  #42

The below link represents the first "official" list of recruits from Duquesne. It mentions Krivacevic, Kratholm, Verhoeven, and Williams. Doesn't mention any of the transfers. 

I think they are still trying to fill one more ship. I don't know if that is due to another transfer out, someone not qualifying, or if one of the transfers is going non-scholarship (either as a preferred walk-on or whatever Kojo had to do when he was barred by Sienna from getting a scholarship to play for us). 

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042517aaj.html

4/25/2017 10:03 am  #43

rosceaux wrote:

The below link represents the first "official" list of recruits from Duquesne. It mentions Krivacevic, Kratholm, Verhoeven, and Williams. Doesn't mention any of the transfers. 

I think they are still trying to fill one more ship. I don't know if that is due to another transfer out, someone not qualifying, or if one of the transfers is going non-scholarship (either as a preferred walk-on or whatever Kojo had to do when he was barred by Sienna from getting a scholarship to play for us). 

Could the fact that they officially announced this class be an indication that there are no more scholarships open?

Last edited by Dukes2012 (4/25/2017 10:04 am)

4/25/2017 10:11 am  #44

Dukes2012 wrote:

rosceaux wrote:

Could the fact that they officially announced this class be an indication that there are no more scholarships open?

I would say no. The title of the release was announces "first" 2017-2018 recruits, usually when a recruiting release is worded that way it generally means there will be more to come.

Another interesting tidbit, after reading Dambrots quote about Eric Williams, it sounds like he sees him purely as a guard rather than a wing. He refers to him as a guard as well as saying he should "be able to help us on the perimeter." We know Dambrot recruits and plays size, so this isn't totally surprising but I'm pretty sure this kid played the 3 in high school.

Last edited by Duques102 (4/25/2017 10:12 am)

4/25/2017 1:13 pm  #45

I'd really like to see us get Collins and you know someone else is coming given the title of the Article put out by DU Athletic Department.

4/25/2017 2:28 pm  #46

PistolPete wrote:

I'd really like to see us get Collins and you know someone else is coming given the title of the Article put out by DU Athletic Department.

Yeah I really really like how Collins looks.

4/25/2017 3:03 pm  #47

Current

5 returning scholarship players:
C/PF - Jordan Robinson Sr.
SF - Eric James Sr.
​PG - Tarin Smith Jr.
SG - Mike Lewis II So.
SG - Spencer Littleson So.

1 returning non-scholarship player:
SF - Kellon Taylor So.

4 announced signees:
3* PF Tydus Verhoeven Fr. 6-8 Fr.
2* F Nicholas Kratholm 6-8 Fr.

4 players who announced their intention to transfer to DU:
​2* PG Tavian Dunn-Martin 5-8 So. in 2018-19 transfer from Akron
2* C Michael Hughes 6-9 So. in 2018-19 transfer from Akron
2* SF Marcus Weathers 6-5 So. in 2018-19 transfer from Miami, OH

Others still on our radar (?):
2* SG David Collins 6-3
2* PG Josh Colon 5-8
​2* PF Nick Washington 6-8

4/26/2017 9:35 am  #48

i know you really want a guard, ed, but you can't teach size. haruna is my first choice

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/26/2017 9:53 am  #49

yak-rbc wrote:

i know you really want a guard, ed, but you can't teach size. haruna is my first choice

Haruna is athletic as hell. He could anchor our interior for years to come, not to mention having him Verhoeven Robinson, Lewis II and another guard on the floor would be pretty good right away.

4/26/2017 10:09 am  #50

yak-rbc wrote:

I have not seen anything that would lead to us to believe that Haruna has any interest in coming to Duquesne. I don't believe he ever visited.

Board footera