Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2017 10:07 am  #1

Odds n Ends

- Not seen anything more on the Littleson transfer,  I believe finals are over.  Strange that there is no confirmation one way or the other.

- Monty Boynkins told Pgh Sports Now he may decide by the end of the week.  I don't see this one coming our way.  Pitt or Penn State is my guess (even if we do have a scholarship available).

- We seem to be still recruiting with the big dude from Morehead visiting next Monday.  Found out although he is a grad transfer he has two years left because of a medical red shirt..

- What ever happen to Nick Washington?  Qualified, not qualified? Coming to DU not coming to DU?

- Finally anyone else hearing that Robert Morris is close to joining the Horizon League?

5/10/2017 10:22 am  #2

Re: Odds n Ends

This is all speculation on my part, but based on the timing of some of the recent announcements here is what I think is happening:

Littleson is transferring.

Castro told coach he wanted to return to Duquesne.

Coach waited for Haruna to make his decision.

Once Haruna committed elsewhere, coach allowed Castro to take littleson's scholarship spot.

That should be it for our roster, but after this crazy offseason who knows.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (5/10/2017 10:22 am)

5/10/2017 11:04 am  #3

CLK wrote:

- I believe finals are over. 

today is the last day.

CLK wrote:

- Finally anyone else hearing that Robert Morris is close to joining the Horizon League?

that is just speculation. reading the stories, it would seem to me that they would be a good fit and it would be a huge jump for them but saying they are close to joining is probably akin to saying, oh, i don't know, king rice is close to singing with duquesne

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/10/2017 11:04 am  #4

Dukes2012 wrote:

This is all speculation on my part, but based on the timing of some of the recent announcements here is what I think is happening:

Littleson is transferring.

Castro told coach he wanted to return to Duquesne.

Coach waited for Haruna to make his decision.

Once Haruna committed elsewhere, coach allowed Castro to take littleson's scholarship spot.

That should be it for our roster, but after this crazy offseason who knows.

I agree with all of this. The only confusing thing is that if Castro is returning why is the Martin kid still considering us?

5/10/2017 2:20 pm  #5

yak-rbc wrote:

CLK wrote:

- I believe finals are over. 

today is the last day.

CLK wrote:

that is just speculation. reading the stories, it would seem to me that they would be a good fit and it would be a huge jump for them but saying they are close to joining is probably akin to saying, oh, i don't know, king rice is close to singing with duquesne

This may stir some speculation about Bobby Mo: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/horizon-league-valparaiso-replacements-missouri-valley-college-basketball-conference-realignment/qrtz5s72ntk31rop3l88ab2y1

I note that Sagarin's final ranking of men's b-ball conferences for 2017 has the Horizon League at #20 and the NEC at #32.

If Bobby Mo joins the Horizon, I would think that they'd try to stay with the NEC for football since the Horizon League does not offer that sport.  Being an independent in FCS is not the way to go.  I believe the loss of one football team from the NEC (currently 7 members) might jeopardize the NEC's champion from getting a bid to play in the FCS 24-team post-season playoff.

5/10/2017 6:58 pm  #6

I think that RMU to the Horizon League is a reach.   IUPUI or Omaha would be a way better fit for their profile.   

I think RMU is trying to move.   If they move I bet it is to Patriot League would could be a knife to NEC football.

Last edited by duqkurt (5/10/2017 6:58 pm)

5/10/2017 7:02 pm  #7

duqkurt wrote:

I think that RMU to the Horizon League is a reach.   IUPUI or Omaha would be a way better fit for their profile.   

I think RMU is trying to move.   If they move I bet it is to Patriot League would could be a knife to NEC football.

With all due respect to our friends in moon township, there's no way that they fit the academic profile of a patriot league school. I think they want to join the MAAC.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (5/10/2017 7:03 pm)

5/10/2017 7:03 pm  #8

duqkurt wrote:

I think that RMU to the Horizon League is a reach. IUPUI or Omaha would be a way better fit for their profile.

I think RMU is trying to move. If they move I bet it is to Patriot League would could be a knife to NEC football.

You have to be an elite school to join the Patriot League. I'm not sure Duquesne could get in, let alone RMU. RMU isn't a good institutional fit in the Horizon, which is mostly large public schools. RMU would do well to join the MAAC.

5/11/2017 9:19 am  #9

I wish the Robbie Bobbies well. it would not hurt to have three competitive teams in the area, one in an A conference, Pitt, one in a B conference, Duquesne and the Horizon is a C conference, much better than the D minus of the NEC!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/11/2017 4:23 pm  #10

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I wish the Robbie Bobbies well. it would not hurt to have three competitive teams in the area, one in an A conference, Pitt, one in a B conference, Duquesne and the Horizon is a C conference, much better than the D minus of the NEC!

Of course if we could become dominant in the A10, a BE invite could well come. The consensus on the BE board is that DU, and St L. are are great geographic, and institutional fits, but are too horrible at hoops to be seriously considered.

5/12/2017 12:35 pm  #11

Sanders has committed to Towson 

5/12/2017 12:38 pm  #12

Monty Boykins close to a decision, supposedly down to Pitt, Penn State & Duquesne as his final 3.  

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/05/09/monty-boykins-approaching-final-decision/

5/12/2017 12:59 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

Sanders has committed to Towson 

Best of look to him. He should do well in that conference.

5/12/2017 1:00 pm  #14

CLK wrote:

Monty Boykins close to a decision, supposedly down to Pitt, Penn State & Duquesne as his final 3.  

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/05/09/monty-boykins-approaching-final-decision/

It's entirely possible that I missed it, but I don't remember seeing any reports that we even offered boykins. Maybe a verbal offer was made on the visit.

5/12/2017 8:03 pm  #15

Spencer Littleson is transferring to Toledo per his twitter

https://twitter.com/spencerlittleso/status/863193802437275649

5/13/2017 4:45 pm  #16

Matthew Steinbrink‏ @MattSteinbrink

Lafayette graduate transfer Monty Boykins will announce his decision on Monday. Pitt, Penn State, Duquesne seem to be the top three.

Last edited by CLK (5/13/2017 4:46 pm)

5/15/2017 11:33 am  #17

Boykins is headed to Pitt...

5/15/2017 12:01 pm  #18

Panther1979 wrote:

As expected (even assuming we had a scholarship to give).  I think Boykin will help Pitt next year.  We still got the better trade.  I'd rather beat out Pitt for an exceptional big man freshman recruit like Swingle than get a one year grad transfer.      

5/15/2017 12:29 pm  #19

CLK wrote:

Panther1979 wrote:

As expected (even assuming we had a scholarship to give).  I think Boykin will help Pitt next year.  We still got the better trade.  I'd rather beat out Pitt for an exceptional big man freshman recruit like Swingle than get a one year grad transfer.      

I was literally going to post the exact same thing. But also add that Pitt still has no idea what they are getting in a guy that lost a season to a major injury the year after averaging 10 a game in the patriot league. It's not that uncommon for guys to come back from season ending injuries and not be the same player anymore.

5/15/2017 1:07 pm  #20

pitt needs bodies.  we dont have room.  I dont think any grad player is going to help them next year.  Hopefully we, with our limited roster size, can get a winning streak going vs them.

5/15/2017 3:04 pm  #21

townsonkid wrote:

pitt needs bodies.  we dont have room.  I dont think any grad player is going to help them next year.  Hopefully we, with our limited roster size, can get a winning streak going vs them.

He made the right choice. He'll see the floor there if he's any good at all. They need players, and they don't want to clog up their roster with 2 star freshmen. Stallings is going to live or die with the class he signs in the fall. I don't want him to fail too much. They might get rid of him and hire a replacement who has a clue, like Dixon did. Let Pitt be middling. Just good enough for Stallings to keep his job. We will then have a chance to be competitive with them if Dambrot gets the job done.

5/15/2017 4:56 pm  #22

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

He made the right choice. He'll see the floor there if he's any good at all. They need players, and they don't want to clog up their roster with 2 star freshmen. Stallings is going to live or die with the class he signs in the fall. I don't want him to fail too much. They might get rid of him and hire a replacement who has a clue, like Dixon did. Let Pitt be middling. Just good enough for Stallings to keep his job. We will then have a chance to be competitive with them if Dambrot gets the job done.

That's the Wayne Fontes strategy of coaching. The Detroit Lions would start out 1-8 or 2-6. When Wayne's future was the subject of speculation, the Lions would magically come alive and finish 8-8. That happened pretty frequently as I recall. So go Stallings, 17 or 18 wins a year will do nicely.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera