Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2013 10:20 am  #1

SMS doesn't mince words in expressing her feelings

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/duquesne/duquesne-women-stunned-by-ncaa-tournament-679877/

At least she didn't try and sugar coat it.   DU simply deserved that bid more than Kansas or West Virginia.  

It is natural they are not enthused at all for the WNIT and quite frankly, I don't blame them. 

3/19/2013 2:30 pm  #2

Re: SMS doesn't mince words in expressing her feelings

http://triblive.com/sports/college/ncaa/3680805-74/tournament-seed-ncaa#axzz2O0wRAzWN

WVU's foul-mouthed women's basketball coach brags about the benefits of being in the Big 12 and WVU's undeserved selection for the NCAA Tournament.  What a crock!

Perhaps the Dukes' team can shake off the disappointment of being overlooked by the NCAA selection committee by showing the committee that it screwed up in not selecting them by their going out and winning the WNIT - which is no small feat.

I might add that I heard that WVU had told Duquesne that it probably would not be able to play the Dukes' women's next season at the Palumbo.  (Note that the Dukes and WVU have played each other for many years, alternating home court each year.)  Let's see: the Dukes beat WVU two year's in a row; and now WVU, a member of the mighty Big 12, can not be bothered to play a very good D-1 team that is an hour and 15 minute drive from Morgantown.  Not sure what the final outcome of this scheduling situation will be, but I thought it would be good to air the subject.

Last edited by godukes1970 (3/19/2013 3:24 pm)

3/19/2013 2:41 pm  #3

I guess Bernadette McGlade really worked hard to promote the women's A-10;  only two teams! What a disgrace, to her administration as Commissioner of the A-10.  WVU; beaten at home by the Dukes in a rather easy victory, with 13 losses, and Kansas a seventh place finisher in their league, and an RPI nearly twice that of the Dukes both get bids.  Combine this with the exodus of 4, or more schools from the league; and I think it's time for her to look for another job. A good commisioner would have worked on both fronts for her league members to be included in the tournament, and to keep key members from leaving.   
 I doubt she worked for Duquesne since SMS has been beating on her sister's sorry Pitt squad for the last 4 or 5 years.  This was so big in claiming the womens basketball turf in the CIty.  Clearly the Dukes have handled Pitt on the court, but going to the NCAA is a must to be considered legitimate in the CIty and the basketball world.

Last edited by levon1975 (3/19/2013 2:43 pm)

3/19/2013 4:44 pm  #4

Jerry Tarkanian and his Wife had it Right --  They wrote a book about the NCAA titled =28pxGRAFT IS THEIR CRAFT!!   While I know the rankings mentioned in the PG might only be one of the selection criteria -- It is almost incomprehensible that a team can jump 20 spots over another to secure an at Large Bid.

I NEVER thought I'd say this but maybe we need a "Female Dick Vitale"  to rip into the Selection Committee each year!!!!

3/19/2013 9:52 pm  #5

Duquesne doesnt travel well..........

3/20/2013 2:38 pm  #6

Jeralta wrote:

Duquesne doesnt travel well..........

Frankly, beside the elite of women's college basketball teams (UCONN, ND, Tenn., Standford, Baylor, Duke, etc.), who travels well when the game is 500 miles from campus?  The number of fans that a team may bring to a tournament game should not be a factor in selection to a tournament run by the NCAA.  This is not the same as the archaic football bowl selection process!

WVU has no business getting into the NCAA tournament before the Dukes!

3/21/2013 5:29 am  #7

I was usung that tongue in cheek as an illustration of the selection committees overall view of our program.

3/21/2013 8:38 am  #8

Jeralta wrote:

I was usung that tongue in cheek as an illustration of the selection committees overall view of our program.

Sorry, I missed that tone in your post.    

I'd love to hear the woman who was the chair of the selection committee explain the absence of the Dukes and the inclusion of WVU.  Frankly she might have actually thrown in fan support as a factor in favoring WVU when groping for some rationale of the committee's decision. 

I hope the team has now focused its attention on beating Akron this evening.  A loss tonight would really throw a pall on the team's very successful season as well as on the whole athletic program.  Winning the WNIT would certainly take some of the sting of the NCAA's slight and be a great foundation for next season. 

4/01/2013 4:42 pm  #9

While we certainly deserved to be in the NCAA Tournament ahead of West Virginia, it would be nice if we could beat a ranked team once in a while. Delaware without its star player didn't count for too much, especially after the Hens kicked the crap out of us with her. Wumi has one more season to show she can be a big-time player when it counts.

4/07/2013 5:24 pm  #10

Hopefully they'll break through next year.

Board footera