Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2017 9:34 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - San Francisco Dons

And Williams had 33 minutes; Smith had 31 minutes
Everyone else less than 30 minutes  Lewis had 28 minutes.
Nine played.
Finally,  no more, at least for now, guards playing 37, 38 minutes.
Eventually the Dukes will lose but it looks good for conference play.

12/23/2017 9:38 am  #52

I would take 9 or 10 wins going into the conference schedule most any year... even with the easy ones built in.  Dambrot is the man. 

I think they thought they had him hired when they let Ron go but couldn't complete the deal.  Otherwise, that was a very, very sorry move.

If KD had a full stable, they would have won the RMU game and had a better chance to take down Pitt on a down year.

Last edited by coffee (12/23/2017 9:40 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

12/23/2017 9:50 am  #53

I used to get blasted by posters who thought I was too critical of the former coach and that it was because of my disappointment of RE getting fired.  Well, I wasn't too critical, only honest and though I was disappointed RE was fired, the former coach earned his critics comments from me and others!  It was obvious how he was "out of his league" (pun intended) and wouldn't ever own up to making a mistake.  But enough of that.  Credit goes to our AD and President to be able to bring in such a good coach!  We have not just moved on but moved ahead!!

BTW: On the Duquesne Athletics site is a nice video recap of the game last night.  It is worth watching!!!!
http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/122217aac.html

Last edited by FAM (12/23/2017 10:02 am)

12/23/2017 10:11 am  #54

FAM I don't think it was you duq81 to whom was referring ...

12/23/2017 10:34 am  #55

Got an extra treat when I got home last night.  My DISH doesn't have Fox Sports 2, so they put it on for us at BW3 last night, as I said.  I checked Fox Sports 1 at home and found they were playing a replay of the game this morning, so I DVRd it. Got to enjoy the whole thing.

One thing I don't get is why Dambrot didn't put someone on the inbounder on the last play with only .02 left?  As it was they almost got the volleyball shot, which is their only hope with that little amount of time.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/23/2017 10:38 am  #56

ElDuque wrote:

I wonder what they are serving in the casual eatery owned by a German knight? 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/23/2017 10:41 am  #57

I know that he wasn't referring to me...didn't take it that way...just took the opening to comment.  

12/23/2017 11:48 am  #58

FAM, besides your famous moniker "LHTM defense", I always liked the excuse that the guards were too short to effectively stop teams from shooting 3 pointers at a high percentage.  Same guards this year...  the Dukes are 22nd in the country holding teams to 29.6% (versus last year 35.9%).  

12/23/2017 11:53 am  #59

Tejas_Duke wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I wonder what they are serving in the casual eatery owned by a German knight? 

LMAO!!!!! Yeah, he's at the top of the list. I'll give him some credit though, at least he has come around at times this year. Some of the other negative types haven't been here since Ferry got fired. How can anyone who calls themselves a fan, not be enjoying this season so far? Even if the team runs out of gas, and stumbles down the stretch, I've seen enough to believe we have our best coach since Red Manning, maybe since Dudey.
As for the last coach, I didn't think it was fair for some posters to take it out on him because of their anger at what happened with Ron. He deserved a fair shot, and he got it. I thought when he was 15-7 during his fourth year, that he might actually end up being modestly successful, but of course, it didn't happen. I'm actually now kind of glad the team collapsed the way it did. If they had won 3 more games, they would have gone 20-14, and he probably would have deserved to be extended a couple of years. I like the way it worked out better!

12/23/2017 12:37 pm  #60

I'm thinking Keith is our best coach since Dudey Moore. I think if he stays as long as Red, which given his personality seems very possible to me, he will easily surpass Red's accomplishments.  We're only in the very early stages of this, but It's sure looking good now. 

12/23/2017 12:55 pm  #61

VBC wrote:

I'm thinking Keith is our best coach since Dudey Moore. I think if he stays as long as Red, which given his personality seems very possible to me, he will easily surpass Red's accomplishments.  We're only in the very early stages of this, but It's sure looking good now. 

I feel the same way my friend.  I love the grit, toughness, and determination he has developed in this team.  There is no quit, and the way the Dukes play defense we are going to cause havoc in the A10 this year.  There is so many positives I see that I absolutely agree that the near term and long future looks bright.  Go Dukes.

12/23/2017 2:37 pm  #62

I had a strange feeling watching this game last night that I'm really not too familiar with in my 30 years of Duquesne basketball fanhood: that the Dukes were going to win, even when things got dicey down the stretch. They were clearly the better team all night. If it weren't for the foul trouble, I don't think this game really would have been that close. I'm not sure why this tournament had preset matchups from the start, but let's face it, we were supposed to be the patsy last night, then play Southern Illinois for consolation tonight before the two West Coast teams faced off in West Coast primetime for the de facto championship. It feels pretty good to have messed that up. If there had been an actual championship game, Nevada would have been a lot to handle. Southern Illinois on the other hand appears every bit as beatable as San Francisco was.

The way the game was officiated, I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a foul called on the final inbounds play. There was way more contact on that than on the phantom foul call on Chas Brown on SF's last basket. Also not sure why that Renfro guy only played 14 minutes for SF, but I'm not complaining. He gave the Dukes fits at both ends of the court and really keyed that 12-0 run for them. 

Anyway, great to pull out another close one. I suspect we're going to see a lot of games like this in conference play. 

Last edited by DennisC91 (12/23/2017 2:38 pm)

12/23/2017 6:01 pm  #63

VBC wrote:

Red had two good stretches so Keith has his work cut out.

12/23/2017 6:25 pm  #64

DennisC91 wrote:

I had a strange feeling watching this game last night that I'm really not too familiar with in my 30 years of Duquesne basketball fanhood: that the Dukes were going to win, even when things got dicey down the stretch. They were clearly the better team all night. If it weren't for the foul trouble, I don't think this game really would have been that close. I'm not sure why this tournament had preset matchups from the start, but let's face it, we were supposed to be the patsy last night, then play Southern Illinois for consolation tonight before the two West Coast teams faced off in West Coast primetime for the de facto championship. It feels pretty good to have messed that up. If there had been an actual championship game, Nevada would have been a lot to handle. Southern Illinois on the other hand appears every bit as beatable as San Francisco was.

The way the game was officiated, I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a foul called on the final inbounds play. There was way more contact on that than on the phantom foul call on Chas Brown on SF's last basket. Also not sure why that Renfro guy only played 14 minutes for SF, but I'm not complaining. He gave the Dukes fits at both ends of the court and really keyed that 12-0 run for them. 

Anyway, great to pull out another close one. I suspect we're going to see a lot of games like this in conference play. 

Renfro was playing with a broken nose, he shed the face mask in 2nd half and was more effective.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera