Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2017 12:19 am  #1

updated KenPom ranking

...and we are up to 202!

Would be nice to beat Southern Illinois tomorrow to get it into the 100s

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/23/2017 1:15 am  #2

Re: updated KenPom ranking

After the Pitt game we fell all the way down to 266.

just keep racking up those wins, boys

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/31/2017 12:06 am  #3

And a jump of ten points to 197, nice to be in the second tier.  Keep it up boys!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/03/2018 9:46 pm  #4

and we are now at 186  

​Pitt is at 178, if we beat Fordham and Pitt loses, wouldn't it be great to pass them up?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/03/2018 9:53 pm  #5

Tejas_Duke wrote:

and we are now at 186  

​Pitt is at 178, if we beat Fordham and Pitt loses, wouldn't it be great to pass them up?

Where is Bobby Mo?

1/03/2018 10:02 pm  #6

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

and we are now at 186  

Where is Bobby Mo?

205 at the moment. If Dayton beats Bonna, the Dukes could move up further tonight, but I am not sure exactly how KP works.

1/03/2018 10:15 pm  #7

At Live RPI, we're at 220, Pitt is 147, and Bobby Mo is 141.

1/04/2018 2:39 pm  #8

https://twitter.com/A10Talk/status/948893709864767488

how far we've advanced since the beginning of the season, most in the conference by a lot.

and +50 doesn't account for the 3 game losing streak. that brought us down to around 267 at our minimum, so we've jumped 80 spots in a little more than a month

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/06/2018 6:47 pm  #9

And with today's win we jump about 30 spots to 164, (depending on other games to be played today, but still)!  We are now ahead of Pitt.

​Nyaaaah  nyaaaaaah nyahhhh naynaaaaah nah nah!!!!!!  

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/06/2018 7:46 pm  #10

As of this message, now #163.

Within league play:
#2 Offense - 110.4
#1 Defense - 84.3

Best eFG% defense - 40.5%
Best 3P% defense- 23.4%
Second best in 2P% defense, FT% defense (not that they really control that), Block %

Best FT% at 81.8%
Second best Off Reb% at 36.7%

And slowest tempo at 61.3

Lot of green and blue shaded stats that haven't been seen in a number of years or ever at all.

1/06/2018 8:26 pm  #11

Tejas_Duke wrote:

And with today's win we jump about 30 spots to 164, (depending on other games to be played today, but still)!  We are now ahead of Pitt.

​Nyaaaah  nyaaaaaah nyahhhh naynaaaaah nah nah!!!!!!  

There's actually a long thread about the Dukes over on the Pitt forum. Surprisingly, it's mostly positive. One poster even said he planned to go to a Dukes game. There's one negative guy, and he's being abused in the thread.Shows you the effect a great coach can have.

1/07/2018 9:26 am  #12

Who sets the "official" RPI ratings that tournament officials consider?  

1/07/2018 8:17 pm  #13

Warren Nolan is predicting us at 23-8. Hope he's right!!

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/team-predict-schedule?team=Duquesne

1/07/2018 9:44 pm  #14

duq81 wrote:

Warren Nolan is predicting us at 23-8. Hope he's right!!

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/team-predict-schedule?team=Duquesne

rpiforecast.com, which uses Jeff Sagarin's formula, says 18-13 (9-9).  They say the Dukes have a less than 1 in 200 chance of finishing 23-8. I'd be happy if we split the difference on the low side with 20-11 (11-7).  

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Duquesne.html

Nolan has us losing by 1 Tuesday, Sagarin says it will be 9 or 10.  Given what I've seen of both Duquesne and VCU basketball in the past 5 seasons there is no way I should be thinking we could possibly win.  And yet with the way the team has been playing defense I know they should be at least within striking distance with 5 to play and that means nothing is out of the question.  A Duquesne win at VCU would shock the A-10, but for those of us watching this team closely, while I don't think we're expecting a win it's not something that would shock us at this point.

1/08/2018 9:18 am  #15

1/08/2018 9:57 am  #16

My thoughts are the issue will be Duquesne’s offense when we play VCU. The defense is actually a little stronger. Lewis seems to be struggling again with scoring  and we can’t always depend on our nifty  shooting point  guard to score 21. Our bigs are of course a plus but VCU can handle them. If we can have a great night scoring and VCU has an off night anything can happen.

1/08/2018 11:11 am  #17

Lewis II is becoming a demon on defense but he is a scorer and those open three's and mid range jumpers will start to fall again. I think we can just about count on Smith and Rene putting up a dozen or more each a game so some of the pressure is off M. Lewis, was encouraged to see JRob drop in 10 with some nice moves around the rim.

And don't forget that Eric Williams, Jr. Can breakout anytime in the game.

The difference with this year's team from past ones, the announcers said that Saturday was Eric James 100 th game as a Duke, instead of starting he gets about 4 min. A game. Better players get to play these days.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/08/2018 11:16 am  #18

Would like to see Chas play without foul issues.  Lewis, he will get hot.  When he does, a couple 20 pt nights will occur.  Williams is key, along with RCC and Smith.  If any 2 of those have good nights, Dukes should be able to hang with any A10 team.  Obviously at VCU is a real test, but i am excited to see where we stand vs an upper tier A10 team on the road, something that has typically been an ugly loss.

1/08/2018 11:40 am  #19

townsonkid wrote:

Would like to see Chas play without foul issues.  Lewis, he will get hot.  When he does, a couple 20 pt nights will occur.  Williams is key, along with RCC and Smith.  If any 2 of those have good nights, Dukes should be able to hang with any A10 team.  Obviously at VCU is a real test, but i am excited to see where we stand vs an upper tier A10 team on the road, something that has typically been an ugly loss.

I think Chas's issues with fouls and finishing under the basket probably can be partially attributed to his injured foot keeping him from being as quick and agile as he is probably used to. That being said, he also seems to get a lot of cheap calls on moving screens and holding guys away from the ball. Either way the three post guys have played decently well and seem to be improving.

Don't know much about VCUs team this year except that Tillman has been their do everything guy on offense and defense having a career year.

I saw Lewis Djonkam had been getting minutes earlier in the year so maybe we will see him for a few out there tomorrow.

After watching this team play three conference games I am convinced we can compete and likely win against anyone in the A10 this year. To echo another poster I am not expecting to win this one being on the road in a loud away atmosphere against a top tier team in the conference, but coming out on top wouldn't shock me either. Excited to watch the team continue to improve either way!

1/08/2018 4:00 pm  #20

How about the Dukes shooting 71% from the charity stripe?
I remember teams that anything over 50% was good.  :-)

1/08/2018 4:40 pm  #21

townsonkid wrote:

Yeah...  the last time we broke 70% (73.8%) was 10 years ago during the 2008 season.
Yet I expect more improvement out of Dambrot's Dukes in the future.  Our 70.9% FT% only puts the Dukes at 174 in the country - strictly average.  But we have our guards all in the Top 500 in the country
- Lewis II at 85.7% (#127)
- Castro-Cannedy at 78.7% (#435)
- Smith at 78.1% (#460)

Above per KenPom

1/08/2018 5:27 pm  #22

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Yeah...  the last time we broke 70% (73.8%) was 10 years ago during the 2008 season.
Yet I expect more improvement out of Dambrot's Dukes in the future.  Our 70.9% FT% only puts the Dukes at 174 in the country - strictly average.  But we have our guards all in the Top 500 in the country
- Lewis II at 85.7% (#127)
- Castro-Cannedy at 78.7% (#435)
- Smith at 78.1% (#460)

Above per KenPom

Free throw shooting wins close games. I remember how well UConn shot from the line when they won their last title. 88% for the entire tournament. Had they missed 1 more free throw against St. Joe's, they'd have lost in the first round.

1/08/2018 6:34 pm  #23

Tomorrow’s opening line is Dukes + 8.5

1/08/2018 7:07 pm  #24

After the Lamar game where the team shot 20/34, good for 58.8% for the game, the season FT% was 67.8%.

Since then they are 72/90 for 80%

Eric Williams Jr is 23/27 85.1% during this run of excellent FT shooting.

1/14/2018 2:21 am  #25

Update: Duquesne is 169th in Sagarin and 169th in Kenpom

Board footera