Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2018 8:14 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - George Mason Patriots

That was a 50 min.  Heart Stopper TV hit those two free throws and 9 blocks what a warrior, EW, Jr was incredible this evening.

14-6 and 5-2,  door mats no more 😎

A diehard fan since 1961

1/20/2018 8:33 pm  #27

1/20/2018 8:34 pm  #28

1/20/2018 8:35 pm  #29

1/20/2018 9:02 pm  #30

Foul shooting......
Turnovers.......
Blew a 9 point lead with about 4 to go in regulation........
Blew a 7 point lead in OT.......
Still won!
I had a blast but my throat already hurts from yelling,shouting,cheering.
Went to a bar in Aspinwall after the game and on the way in literally bumped into the folks who sat next to us at the game.
I really like this team.

Last edited by Ghost of Walter White (1/20/2018 9:04 pm)

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

1/20/2018 9:19 pm  #31

Coming through in the clutch. We could easily be 12-8/ 3-4, and on a 4 game losing streak, but clutch play has saved the day the last 2 weekends.

1/20/2018 9:34 pm  #32

duq81 wrote:

Coming through in the clutch. We could easily be 12-8/ 3-4, and on a 4 game losing streak, but clutch play has saved the day the last 2 weekends.

That's the difference in coaching and attitude.  Last few years we didn't have the heart to pull out the close ones. 

How many times have I read on this forums that we could have 5 or 7 more wins if we only won the close ones.

This is much more fun!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/20/2018 9:43 pm  #33

If we can do better with foul shots we will improve even more.

Great game...what was the attendance???????

1/20/2018 10:03 pm  #34

coffee wrote:

duq81 wrote:

That's the difference in coaching and attitude. Last few years we didn't have the heart to pull out the close ones.

How many times have I read on this forums that we could have 5 or 7 more wins if we only won the close ones.

This is much more fun!

We used to find ways to lose and now we find ways to win.  Yes, this is much more fun.

It's also gotten much easier to find someone to use my extra ticket to games. I took a friend's 16 year old son to his first college basketball game today and he had a great time and wants to go back.  Double and triple overtime victories can bring people back.  

1/20/2018 10:24 pm  #35

FAM wrote:

If we can do better with foul shots we will improve even more.

Great game...what was the attendance???????

1/20/2018 10:54 pm  #36

Nice post-game interview with Coach. Can you believe that two Duquesne all-time records were broken today. How often does that happen? Verhoeven, 9 blocks! Now number 1 all time for one game. Eric Williams, 9 3-balls. Tony Petrarca, Bryant McAllister and Aaron Jackson had 8. 

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/20/2018 11:06 pm  #37

Williams' freshman scoring record broke a 115 year old mark. 115 years old. Like a MLB player topping a Shoeless Joe Jackson record.

1/20/2018 11:07 pm  #38

At one point during post-game interview
KD had me rethinking my attitude towards Pitt. That's some coaching. But, no.

Last edited by MikeR (1/20/2018 11:09 pm)

1/21/2018 2:14 am  #39

Dukes keep giving us more than our money's worth. Once again they fought back when it didn't look good and hopefully these type of wins keep building the fan support. They can win, the games are entertaining and the fans are now engaged with the game at hand.

Obviously, Eric Williams Jr and Tydus were out of their minds today.

1/21/2018 8:45 am  #40

I don't know what the LaSalle attendance was, but yesterday's 2,548 was noticeably larger, student sections fairly full and lots of young families. Still a way to go, but it was more like the atmosphere of D-1. I took 2 different friends the last 2 games and both are committed to sharing a plan.

How many other non-alumni here?

1/21/2018 8:57 am  #41

just some random thoughts :

1)  A very engaged crowd as some have mentioned in the thread. Jim Balog really giving it to the refs and the GMU fans. I thought the dude may stroke out on us. Props to him !!

2)  With the way GMU was carving us up on drives to the hoop , I wonder if coach thought of just going to a zone for a little while to stem their momentum. Just curious.

3)  Really rough day for Chas Brown. The poor fella fumbled just about every pass , had potential rebounds clang off his mitts , and got in to the standard once a game minor dustup with an opposing player ( double fouls on each ).

4)  What a difference in Tarin Smith from last season. Injury to his knee must have really affected his play last year. Other than his free throw shooting he played an excellent game , which is a recurring theme for the most part. Major ups to Tarin !!! 

5)  These guys really bear down defensively ( in their stance , hug up on their man , play the passing lanes to a degree without totally selling out ).  With the kind of pressure they apply to opponents I am a bit baffled by the lack of turnovers the opponents commit which result in cheap breakaway baskets for DU. 

6)  And last , but not least , the TIDE IS DEFINITLY TURNING for DU mens hoops. After many false starts and resultant stops over the years , this is the real thing.  It is only gonna get better.

Let the good times roll baby !!!!!!!!!!!

1/21/2018 9:45 am  #42

MikeR wrote:

At one point during post-game interview
KD had me rethinking my attitude towards Pitt. That's some coaching. But, no.

I want Pitt to be good against everybody they play except Duquesne.  Beating a great Pitt team is a hell of a lot more fulfilling.  Rooting against them doesn't make the Dukes better.

I want to see a great nationally recognized rivalry here again like they have in Cincinnati and in Virginia.  College basketball can attract more fans that way.  They don't have to fight for existing basketball fans since we don't have an NBA team to draw fans away.

PACK THE PALUMBO!

Last edited by coffee (1/21/2018 9:46 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/21/2018 10:57 am  #43

Another great performance on both sides of the ball. Eric Williams was just unconscious out there. It's really nice to get consistent high level scoring from basically four guys in Eric, Mike, Tarin, and Rene. Eric and Mike are basically your shooters and Tarin and Rene are your go to the hoop guys.

1/21/2018 11:44 am  #44

wharfrat I am not an Alumni. Started going to games Micah Mason's first year for the Dukes.
My brother-in-law was one of Mason's high school coaches so I would go to games with him.
I have tremendous respect for the folks on this board who have remained loyal through all the lean,hopeless
years. I am as happy for you guys as I am the program.
I had season tickets for Ohio University hoops the last 4 years so I am familiar with Dambrot's style and 
success at Akron. I knew it was a great hire.
I WAS at the Duquesne - Maryland game way back in 73!

John Adams

1/21/2018 1:32 pm  #45

So my thoughts on the season had to do with them being competitive, etc.  Well, been there, done that!!!  Thanks Coach D.  So up the hopeful ladder we go.  I.E. The Browns just want a winning season...the Bills wanted to get to the playoffs...the Steelers wanted to get to the Super Bowl.  So now, here are my thoughts for the rest of this year...because we have now past competitive!!

-Foul shooting has hurt us the last two games at home.  Neither game should have gone into overtime.  I am not asking for 90%.  75-80 % would have done it.
-Brown is big but has hands like...um...not sticky enough.  Jordan has vastly improved and I would like him to play more.  Chas actually hurts us with his mistakes.
-Not sure of the turnover issues but they have increased as of late and not because of great defense at times.  Lazy passes, having trouble in the transition.
-The building was definitely too warm yesterday.
-It was sooooo important for the Dukes to win in front of the students yesterday.  I sure hope they come back out for Wednesday.
-Folks were loud and involved but I said I would be disappointed if we didn't get 2,800 which we didn't.
-Gonna be another tough one Wednesday night but this is the last time I will say this because I do not think there will be ANY easy ones the rest of the year.
-Nice applause for the Dance Team and Cheerleaders by the crowd...they care too!!!

Go Dukes!!!

1/21/2018 2:27 pm  #46

Ghost of Walter White wrote:

wharfrat I am not an Alumni. Started going to games Micah Mason's first year for the Dukes.
My brother-in-law was one of Mason's high school coaches so I would go to games with him.
I have tremendous respect for the folks on this board who have remained loyal through all the lean,hopeless
years. I am as happy for you guys as I am the program.
I had season tickets for Ohio University hoops the last 4 years so I am familiar with Dambrot's style and 
success at Akron. I knew it was a great hire.
I WAS at the Duquesne - Maryland game way back in 73!

Ghost, which coach is your broth-in-law?  I live a few blocks from Micah, and an older brother played in the YMCA league with Micah's dad in about 1970.

1/21/2018 2:33 pm  #47

Sean Bennis.
He is now the Head Coach at Burrell but was at Highlands for Mason's Junior
and Senior year.

John Adams

Board footera