Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2018 9:24 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Massachusetts Minutemen

Don't know the stats right now, but UMass seems to be hitting everything they throw at the hoop.

3/03/2018 9:27 pm  #27

Update: Williams and Lewis a combined 6-23,. Rest of team 16-23.

3/03/2018 9:30 pm  #28

Lewis has heated up though and Williams did dish out a couple assists. Good to see the senior James gets some playing time.

3/03/2018 9:49 pm  #29

Boy this team regressed. From 14-6 to 16-15 and most likely 16-16. Lack of adjustments especially on defense which really regressed as the season went on. I don't see the lack of talent or depth as an excuse. None of these teams outside of RI and maybe St. Bonnie (and even that's questionable) has more than just a tad more talent or depth.

3/03/2018 9:57 pm  #30

Why didn't JRob play much in second half?

A diehard fan since 1961

3/03/2018 10:00 pm  #31

Rayrich wrote:

Boy this team regressed. From 14-6 to 16-15 and most likely 16-16. Lack of adjustments especially on defense which really regressed as the season went on. I don't see the lack of talent or depth as an excuse. None of these teams outside of RI and maybe St. Bonnie (and even that's questionable) has more than just a tad more talent or depth.

Exactly.

3/03/2018 10:01 pm  #32

3/03/2018 10:01 pm  #33

Phildog wrote:

Why didn't JRob play much in second half?

That's a great question, Phil.  At one point early in the game JRob was 5 for 5, including a monster dunk, and playing one of his best games of the year.

Last edited by IronDukes12 (3/03/2018 10:03 pm)

3/03/2018 10:07 pm  #34

A diehard fan since 1961

3/03/2018 10:13 pm  #35

Got torched in transition, miss or make. UMass really got out and ran and a number of times Dukes just flat out weren't back even after a make.

3/03/2018 10:15 pm  #36

Williams Just had a lid on the rim. He has shown the capability to pass. The kid is 18. He will learn, he had a hell of a freshman year. Shot 40% from field and 37% from three this year

3/03/2018 10:36 pm  #37

The upcoming season will give KD enough options so we aren’t limited to 3 offensive options. So maybe the 2-15 shooting nights will be limited to 2-6 and a seat on the pine.

And players will get back for defensive sets or soon will be watching others show them how, as they watch from the bench.

And maybe the Dukes will have a season without the swoon in the 2nd half of conference play.

Sure hope so.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/03/2018 10:42 pm  #38

I agree the team had something to play for, not sure you could convince them of that though. UMass looked pretty bad, though they did a good job of hitting the wide-open 3s and uncontested layups they were getting all night. Dukes saving their energy for DC, I guess. Or just not good enough to win games like that on the road. Speaking of which, it looks like Richmond at 6 p.m. Thursday in the A10 tourney second round. 

3/03/2018 10:57 pm  #39

Phildog wrote:

The upcoming season will give KD enough options so we aren’t limited to 3 offensive options. So maybe the 2-15 shooting nights will be limited to 2-6 and a seat on the pine.

And players will get back for defensive sets or soon will be watching others show them how, as they watch from the bench.

And maybe the Dukes will have a season without the swoon in the 2nd half of conference play.

That’s what wrong with us. We always want to look ahead for the next year and not appreciate the year we had. Yes they regressed but you can’t rely on 5 transfers when 1 or 2 of them actually had good stats. I don’t get how some of your heads work. Mike Lewis and Williams Jr, Smith, Castro all played there hats off this year.

Think about it. 7 winning seasons in 37 years. Stop always looking ahead for the future sometimes!!! Go day by day as the wise man would say

Sure hope so.

3/03/2018 11:00 pm  #40

DennisC91 wrote:

I agree the team had something to play for, not sure you could convince them of that though. UMass looked pretty bad, though they did a good job of hitting the wide-open 3s and uncontested layups they were getting all night. Dukes saving their energy for DC, I guess. Or just not good enough to win games like that on the road. Speaking of which, it looks like Richmond at 6 p.m. Thursday in the A10 tourney second round. 

The Spiders always struggle against Duquesne, having won only 21 of the last 22 meetings. 

3/03/2018 11:22 pm  #41

Godukes2017 wrote:

That’s what wrong with us. We always want to look ahead for the next year and not appreciate the year we had. Yes they regressed but you can’t rely on 5 transfers when 1 or 2 of them actually had good stats. I don’t get how some of your heads work. Mike Lewis and Williams Jr, Smith, Castro all played there hats off this year.

Think about it. 7 winning seasons in 37 years. Stop always looking ahead for the future sometimes!!! Go day by day as the wise man would say

Not quite sure how fans looking ahead to the future affects how the current team plays, I think most of us here appreciate that the team overachieved to win 7 conference games and 16 overall. Not much was expected on the heels of last season's disaster. Dukes were pretty much supposed to be what Fordham was. But the coach is looking long-term--that's why five scholarships on this year's team went to players who won't be eligible until next year--so why would you criticize fans for being more excited about the future than the present? Maybe the Dukes can get a win in DC this week, maybe they can't. Expectations for the next 2-3 seasons will be far higher and there's nothing wrong with fans looking forward to that. That really shouldn't affect how the current team plays. It's really up to the outgoing players to take advantage of the opportunity they have while they have it, we have no control over that. 

3/04/2018 12:33 am  #42

I  did not get a chance to watch the game but from what has been stated the Dukes didnt show up defensively and its troubling.What did KD say on the post game interview/? I feel somewhat dissappointed
with the way the Dukes faded but on the other hand they won 16 games and beat the teams they were supposed to beat in non conference play which was a change from Ferry .I am just tired of the losing even
in a season in which we knew was going to rough.
Looking to next year,a tougher non conference schedule,a lot of new faces, a lot of new players.Who knows,,this loss and the poor effort tonight triggers the lingering question,can Duquesne ever return to winning.?

3/04/2018 9:06 am  #43

UMASS has some offensive skill; but is a terrible defensive team.  They can outscore you; and if you don’t control them by getting back on defense and taking away easy baskets you will lose.  Duquesne didn’t have the offense to outscore UMASS; hence another loss.  Troubling as it may be; at this stage of the rebuilding process; we need to defend much better than that to beat anyone!

3/04/2018 9:45 am  #44

Godukes2017 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

And maybe the Dukes will have a season without the swoon in

Sure hope so.

You are right, I will try again.

Great year, we didn’t lose 22 games! Can’t wait for the A-10 Conference and Richmond.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/04/2018 10:11 am  #45

-Disappointed in the Mass. Game Result
-Not disappointed in the season - higher than expected
-Too many gaps during the year with players doing really well for stretches and then not doing well for stretches.  Need consistency next year.

3/04/2018 11:26 am  #46

KD said it best during the press  conference after the Davidson loss,"I need to recruit my ass off".The talent needs to be better plain and simple.The team with the better players wins games.

3/04/2018 11:50 am  #47

Better players and perhaps a better mix of players too. I see some folks on Facebook calling for a true point guard. I remember watching the Dukes lose to Richmond in the A10 tourney in Brooklyn a few years ago. VCU fans sitting around us told us we'd be fine with a good point guard. Four years later, we're still waiting. 

3/04/2018 2:10 pm  #48

Phildog wrote:

One of these four videos was similar to many breakdowns we've seen this year. It's the tactic of sending the center out to the top of the key for a temporary double-team on the ball. This leaves the offense's big guy to approach the basket. If the guard can get the ball to him, either directly or via two quick passes, he either stuffs it alone or over a smaller guy (like Mike Lewis) who tries to pick him up until the center rotates back.

Not sure why KD uses this tactic so often, as it seldom results in a steal, and often ends up as noted above.

3/04/2018 2:22 pm  #49

Chas gets kicked around on the board sometimes but we really missed his defense inside tonight.   They scored at will and when we collapsed inside to help out they were open for threes.

It'll be nice to have some bigs who can score and defend.  JaRob started to fill the need in the first half until he was called for some phantom fouls.

Avoid those fouls and this would have been a different game.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/04/2018 3:22 pm  #50

coffee wrote:

Chas gets kicked around on the board sometimes but we really missed his defense inside tonight.   They scored at will and when we collapsed inside to help out they were open for threes.

It'll be nice to have some bigs who can score and defend.  JaRob started to fill the need in the first half until he was called for some phantom fouls.

Avoid those fouls and this would have been a different game.

He had 2 in first half and played little rest of game.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera