Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2018 7:01 pm  #1

Red and Blue Crew

It's the slow period so I wanted to start a new thread for a couple of ideas I had about student participation. 

1.  I think that maybe it is time to change the name of the Red and Blue Crew.  The organization has been so up and down, that maybe it is time to come up with a new name and theme to revitalize the group.  I know that a new name might not do much, but it's an idea to work with.  The shirts could be redesigned and the constitution could be updated.  Consider some A10 student sections: 

VCU - Rowdy Rams, Dayton - Red Scare, Davidson - Section 30 (For Steph Curry), Rhode Island - Rhody Ruckus. 

I feel like the Red and Blue Crew is lacking in creativity.  Some ideas/themes:

Something related to The Bluff:  The Brawling Bluff? 
Palumbo Alliteration e.g. Palumbo Posse - Wouldn't work for other sports. 
Dukes Alliteration  -  e.g. The Dignified Dukes (This one would be ironic I suppose?).  Disorderly, Dastardly, etc...  Lots of D options. 
Something related to royalty? 

I realize these aren't great, but I think change might be a good thing and wanted to see if anyone agreed or could think of some other ideas.

Also, Pitt just announced that the student section will be behind the bench of the opposing teams and that they will be on the sidelines in camera view.  I would love for our student section to get out of the end zones, but I can see how that would be a tough sell.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

4/25/2018 10:06 pm  #2

Re: Red and Blue Crew

Well good luck with any real change.  A while ago someone in the woman’s thread posted negative comments about Assistant AD Megan Jahrling.

She is in charge of Crew.   

I did a little investigative work on my own and found out the negative comments concerning Jahrling were spot on and her popularity is very low.  Particularly with one coach.   

But even tbough no can see what she brings to the table,
Harper likes her,so case closed. 

Ask yourself what new and innovative things come from DU promotions?   What do they do beside those canned commercials on ESPN970 with the same script but with different coaches reading it.  “I’m Jim Ferry......, I’m Keith Dambot......, I’m Jerry Schmidt.  Join us for exciting action at......”.  You get the point.   

Actually I wish I hadn’t looked into more because a picture was painted which shows a demoralized athletic department.    I left the season with high hopes.  But when I talked to people those high hopes  were misplaced. 

She brings nothing to the table.  Nothing to help the Crew so no new ideas will be listened to.   

Sorry to piss on the off season.

4/25/2018 10:27 pm  #3

For your consideration:
Rhapsody in Blue
Blue Balls
The Wrecking Blue
Code Blue
Red Tide
Code Red
Red Buttons
Red Royality
Spiritan Zone
Section John 3:16
Holy Ghost Yinzers
Dunk This
Section Slick
Bad Breath
6th Man
Hi Say To Your Mom For Me
Wilma Boyd
Commuter Majority
The Holy Ghost Majority
Bluff Thunder
Bluff n Stuff
Forbes Avenue
The Red Manning
The Quiet Man

4/26/2018 5:12 am  #4

I’m the “someone awhile ago”.    Thanks duqkurt for confirming what I heard was going on.  If Dave Harper is happy with her, fine.  It’s his call.  Obviously Dave doesn’t feel like it’s a big problem.  She’ll be there again for the 18-19 season.

4/26/2018 7:40 am  #5

I wouldnt mind seeing the student section behind the visiting team.  Let the students talk trash.

As far as a name, nothing is popping right now.  The Red Zone?

4/26/2018 9:17 am  #6

Box & One wrote:

For your consideration:
Rhapsody in Blue
Blue Balls
The Wrecking Blue
Code Blue
Red Tide
Code Red
Red Buttons
Red Royality
Spiritan Zone
Section John 3:16
Holy Ghost Yinzers
Dunk This
Section Slick
Bad Breath
6th Man
Hi Say To Your Mom For Me
Wilma Boyd
Commuter Majority
The Holy Ghost Majority
Bluff Thunder
Bluff n Stuff
Forbes Avenue
The Red Manning
The Quiet Man

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions.  Regarding Jarhling, that is really disappointing to hear.  I would think that the executive committee would have the autonomy to make any changes that they want, but maybe I am wrong?  I know when I was running The Crew that I was able to do pretty much whatever I wanted, but that was back when Mark Geller was in charge.  I don't know who is in charge of the Crew right now, and there is nothing listed on the website.  

Kurt,  I am sorry to hear about the negative attitude.  Are you suggesting that most people in the Athletic Dept. are disappointed with their job, or just that this one particular employee is causing issues.  If Harper is happy with Megan, then that is all that matters as he is the boss, but hopefully it isn't impacting the department as a whole.  

4/26/2018 9:19 am  #7

How about the Bluffites.? When the Dukes were good thats what they referred to Duquesne in the newspapers.It crosses generations of fans,its historical,it like the Yankees -Bronx Bombers.

4/26/2018 9:26 am  #8

I think if it were up to me, I would change the name to The Dignified Dukes, or "The Red Royalty" and I would play up the theme.  Our section needs an identity that it is sorely missing.  I would see if I could buy the entire section cheap top hates and monocles, and we would try to play off being "above" or "royalty" to the filth that is the other team.  You have to think of this like a WWE superstar in a way.  

For the shirts, I would totally buy one of those fake tuxedo t-shirts and design it with Duquesne apparel.  Personally, I think that would be awesome and very unique for a student section.  See below only in Red or Blue or a mix of both.  

http://www.tuxedo-tshirts-online.com/original-tuxedo-t-shirt-heavy-cotton-in-8-colors/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8YXXBRDXARIsAMzsQuVUNsU-DHZDeupNIGjFAq5CCHBRWXha256mFAm1byo16wp7ljKAGqEaAvSXEALw_wcB

Last edited by Simms (4/26/2018 9:26 am)

4/26/2018 9:48 am  #9

Rhapsody in Blue and Red Zone are really good suggestions. I'll pass them along.

Unfortunately Simms, the RBC isn't what it used to be. It's entirely under the wing of athletics and it has been for I think 2 seasons now. Megan, who is the admin in charge of RBC, did not let executive board elections happen in RBC this past spring. There is almost no autonomy left for RBC separate from Athletics--basically those who are left is just working for athletics for free.

there were probably 14 maybe 15 people who helped run it at the beginning of this academic year and  more than half left (plus me who graduated but I would've quit too at this point).

probably about a month or two back the remaining members asked me for advice because they wanted to come up with name change proposals. there were some really good ideas thrown around, i dont remember all of them but i was very partial to the Bluff Riders. i don't know what's come of that recently but i would say the likelihood that a change would happen is slim to none.

now, im thinking that it would be time to start fresh and create a new organization back under Student Involvement, which was who ran us to at least about 2015. but i'm not sure if anyone left has the commitment or time to jumpstart a whole new potentially huge organization...its really hard to have the time to run a club like this as a junior or senior. 

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/26/2018 10:10 am  #10

The Bluff Riders is a sweet name.  I can't believe that athletics is being so awful in regards to the group.  I would have quit the organization too!  I plan on emailing those in the know to see if I can make some change happen.  

4/26/2018 12:28 pm  #11

So RBC isnt run by students?  Is that typical of other schools student sections?  

I just figured it was a grass roots kind of thing that students came up with and passed along to underclassmen every year.

4/26/2018 12:33 pm  #12

Idea for creating autonomy - find a Donor to fund the RBC.
​Assumptions:
- This would not be an NCAA infraction/violation .. if so - idea is dead.
​- Run the RBC as an independent entity as an association or fraternal order
​- Create joining/entry & participation requirements & expectations
​- Students still get tix for free ... if not, make that part of the Donor operating model to buy the section .... in whatever part of Palumbo deemed. I.E buy the section behind the visitor bench
​- Behavior would adhere to Palumbo rules ... but thinking wearing top hats & monocles is okay

4/26/2018 12:49 pm  #13

townsonkid wrote:

So RBC isnt run by students?  

I just figured it was a grass roots kind of thing that students came up with and passed along to underclassmen every year.

It was founded by students. Simms was one of them, actually. And every year, after hoops is over, the body (some of the body) would vote on who helps lead it, makes decisions for it, etc., next year. Elections were suspended this year.

townsonkid wrote:

Is that typical of other schools student sections?  

Presumably. 

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/26/2018 1:11 pm  #14

Box & One wrote:

Idea for creating autonomy - find a Donor to fund the RBC.
​Assumptions:
- This would not be an NCAA infraction/violation .. if so - idea is dead.
​- Run the RBC as an independent entity as an association or fraternal order
​- Create joining/entry & participation requirements & expectations
​- Students still get tix for free ... if not, make that part of the Donor operating model to buy the section .... in whatever part of Palumbo deemed. I.E buy the section behind the visitor bench
​- Behavior would adhere to Palumbo rules ... but thinking wearing top hats & monocles is okay

This was my first thought as well upon reading the thread. Why not say screw "your" red and blue crew, and just do your own. Geeze, if the rbc is essentially free labor carrying out the ADs wishes than why would students want to be a part of this anyway??? They even took away the voting rights???

This should be for, by, and exclusively a functoin of the students expressing their school spirit and support for the team.

I mean what does the athletic department offer from a value added standpoint??? I see the same folded flimsy face cutouts that have been there since I was a freshman 8 years ago. Do you even get a free t shirt? The athletic department could not realistically pull free student tickets.

Simply swiping your card at a station being worked by a non-athletics person is what gets you into the games. Could you imagine with all the momentum that the program has been picking up over the past year, what kind of media backlash we would recieve if students had to start paying to attend games because they started their own "student section", we would again being a laughing stock, especially given where current attendance levels currently are.

This should be looked upon as an opportunity for any enterprising students out there. Like Dambrot, someone can "be the change" to grow a real, passionate student fan base that follows their own rules and does what they want for games (in the parameters of what is acceptable obviously), rather than what they are told to do. This could be a grassroots thing done with social media, the Duquesne paper, and other methods of spreading information as there are countless ways to do this now. Would you rather have some generic internship on your resume or say you helped create, grow, and turn around a struggling student fanbase orginization to coincide with the success associated with the product on the court being turned around.

The players could also be a big help to getting people to come out by being more active and visible among the general student body from a day to day perspective IMO.

4/26/2018 1:14 pm  #15

by the way, this is not to say that we shouldn't toss ideas around at how to get students at games and more engaged during the season. i still went to every game last season despite how frustrating it became and will do so next year too as an alum. this is still my school, this is still your school, and i plan on being just as loud and as boisterous at games.

i dont know what will become of rbc. it might do a rename, it might not exist as we know it. who knows. but there's nothing that prevents us from rallying more people to support the team regardless of whatever the hell is going on inside athletics. our coach and the players he is recruiting are giving us a lot of hope. don't let this sideshow affect it.

4/26/2018 1:36 pm  #16

If I still lived in Pittsburgh I would personally volunteer my time to help the RBC.  As it stands, I am going to see what I can do as an alumni.  I am a school teacher, so I'm not exactly a weather donor, but my wife is done with Nurse Anesthetist school in February and I would be more likely to try to sponsor something at that time.  That said, I am going to reach out to some people in the Athletic Dept. to see what the heck is going on.  The issue is that there is no executive committee so I don't even have students I can message other than Yak who is no longer as involved.  If someone were in charge, it might be a start to talk with the Oakland Zoo and see how their organization is run.  It's easy to rip on Pitt, but I can't imagine the organization being rude to us.  

Since I made this organization official, it is obviously something I have passion for.  I'm all for change, and I wish I had thought of a better name back in the day. 

4/26/2018 2:38 pm  #17

If you want to know who did it.   Just go to Meghan Jahrling. 

Decision has been made and supported by Harper.  She will bring the same 50% effort she does with her other promotion duties

4/26/2018 10:38 pm  #18

THE DUNKING DUKES !!

4/28/2018 1:42 pm  #19

First off...Thanks to Simms for everything !Second thanks for the topic and creative suggestions submitted by all and obviously there is significant  interest in the topic and I believe it should be followed up on and  that Dave Harper will be receptive if good ideas are submitted. I  also am going to defend Meghan here in that I think she is willing to enertain ideas that help the programs like she did when I suggested a reunion and recognition of our 1977  football team at homecoming .I like Bluff Riders alot and would submit Iron Dukes Crew as its origins are the original Iron Dukes BB team later adopted by the football team too? Again keep the ideas and enthusiasm coming! Go Dukes

4/28/2018 3:31 pm  #20

Thanks for the update and help Fjhryn and I will do same!

4/29/2018 8:29 am  #21

Good Gravy!  Let the kids decide what they want to call themselves!

Bluff Riders???  Are you kidding me?  "Hey guys, let's join the Bluff Riders!"

It has to be edgy and sound formidable or dangerous for the visiting team... Dukes and royal themes don't cut it and most people don't know that Bismarck was the Iron Duke.

Code Red and Red Zone sound much more exciting to be part of than the boring Red and Blue Crew but the students are creative and should own the decision!

Last edited by coffee (4/29/2018 9:42 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

4/29/2018 9:15 am  #22

coffee wrote:

Good Gravy! Let the kids decide what they want to call themselves!

Bluff Riders??? Are you kidding me? "Hey guys, let's join the Bluff Riders!"

Code Red and Red Zone sound much more exciting to be part of than the boring Red and Blue Crew but the students are creative and should own the decision!

Lol, you have to keep in mind that Bluff Riders WAS a student suggestion according to Yak.  Also, it has connections to the DMX song "roughriders" that could be used as a song to pump up the crowd.

That said,  I agree with you.  This should be up to the students, not us.  I was offering suggestions because I wanted to communicate with the leaders of the group (and Meghan) to attempt some change.  

4/29/2018 9:42 am  #23

Simms wrote:

coffee wrote:

Good Gravy! Let the kids decide what they want to call themselves!

Bluff Riders??? Are you kidding me? "Hey guys, let's join the Bluff Riders!"

Lol, you have to keep in mind that Bluff Riders WAS a student suggestion according to Yak.  Also, it has connections to the DMX song "roughriders" that could be used as a song to pump up the crowd.

That said,  I agree with you.  This should be up to the students, not us.  I was offering suggestions because I wanted to communicate with the leaders of the group (and Meghan) to attempt some change.  

Well, since we are making suggestions...

For their consideration...  "THE DANGER ZONE!"

Can you imaging the first guitar lead-in of Danger Zone playing during a time out with the Dukes needing a boost and the students and a full Palumbo rocking along?

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

4/29/2018 9:42 am  #24

No offense, but based on past history they should be called "The Ghost Crew" because they are invisible and rarely show up.  What needs to change is the DU pathetic students school spirit not the name.

4/29/2018 9:48 am  #25

CLK wrote:

No offense, but based on past history they should be called "The Ghost Crew" because they are invisible and rarely show up.  What needs to change is the DU pathetic students school spirit not the name.

My appologies to the Bluff Riders... just listed to the music and it does have a driving theme... just not what I usually play.

Coach Dambrot is going to give them something to get excited about and build school spirit at the games... the kids don't remember the glory days or know what an Iron Duke is... it wasn't a good product to get behind recently.

Winning brought the fans up until the 70's... winning will again populate the DANGER ZONE ... or whatever it's called.

Turn it up and sing along-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0P1Bk8Cx4

Last edited by coffee (4/29/2018 10:19 am)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

Board footera