Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2018 10:08 am  #26

Re: Norman committs

townsonkid wrote:

Regardless, we have more talent on the roster now that I have ever seen.  BBall recruiting stars arent as accurate as football, which arent that great to begin with.  But someone else here said only 5 stars really matter.  We dont have any of them, yet.  Maybe some day.  But I'll take a lot of 3 stars any day.

Best roster since Ron's second year. Aaron, Keiron, Tuck, Reggie, Kojo, Shawn, Damian, Bill. That was the best roster since 79. Both of those teams underachieved, then the team overachieved the following year.

5/03/2018 10:09 am  #27

Bolding was originally a Louisville verbal commit. Ended up going to Notre Dame Prep, where he was recruited by Bill Barton. Barton left for RE's staff at Duquesne, and a year later, Bolding followed.

5/03/2018 10:20 am  #28

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Regardless, we have more talent on the roster now that I have ever seen.  BBall recruiting stars arent as accurate as football, which arent that great to begin with.  But someone else here said only 5 stars really matter.  We dont have any of them, yet.  Maybe some day.  But I'll take a lot of 3 stars any day.

Best roster since Ron's second year. Aaron, Keiron, Tuck, Reggie, Kojo, Shawn, Damian, Bill. That was the best roster since 79. Both of those teams underachieved, then the team overachieved the following year.

That RE team, it seemed every year one guy would step up, had 2-3 got really good at same time, they could have been really nice.  I was 6 in 79.  Barely remember Steelers and Pirates.  :-)

5/03/2018 10:27 am  #29

townsonkid wrote:

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

That RE team, it seemed every year one guy would step up, had 2-3 got really good at same time, they could have been really nice.  I was 6 in 79.  Barely remember Steelers and Pirates.  :-)

That 79-80 team was loaded. BB, Atkins, Arnold, Dixon, Moon, Tunstall, Scott, Myers, Baldwin. Should have been a Top 20 team.

5/03/2018 10:29 am  #30

townsonkid wrote:

Definitely way more pound for pound talent than I've ever seen. Stars don't matter but they provide more of a consensus based range in terms of a recruits floor and ceiling. The 3 star guys are generally productive high school and AAU players that play in the bigger divisions against the best competition in their area and are considered a slight step below the big time freshman going to Power5 programs.

Again, these are based on high school production so guys can develop into studs that were 0-3 stars and sometimes the 4 and 5 star guys never pan out.

However, for the last ten years we've really been getting the 0-2 star guys, competing with conferences like the MAAC, CAA, NEC, etc for players. These are guys who had big numbers for small high schools and lesser know AAU programs generally. Their effectiveness at the college level can be harder to predict because it's harder to distinguish if the production is based more on the players talent or the players talent relative to the competitions talent. A great example of this would be the offensive numbers put up by Verhoeven in high school.

We're starting to compete with the high mid majors and low majors for guys and that is huge.

5/03/2018 12:29 pm  #31

Long, long rabid Duquesne basketball fanatic and blog follower. I figured it is time to jump back in to the fray. Has anyone checked out Norman's dunk contest video? Norman's contest winning display of amazing aeronautics had my jaw dropping during the entire video. However, It remains to be seen if his athleticism translates into a legitimate A 10 player rather than a one-trick pony. Having written that, I have not been this excited about an incoming group of Duquesne recruits since Moses was a kid (at least on paper) Season tickets are re-ordered, my Dukes baseball cap and collection of Duquesne shirts are out and ready,  so bring 'em on

5/03/2018 1:12 pm  #32

apluski wrote:

Long, long rabid Duquesne basketball fanatic and blog follower. I figured it is time to jump back in to the fray. Has anyone checked out Norman's dunk contest video? Norman's contest winning display of amazing aeronautics had my jaw dropping during the entire video. However, It remains to be seen if his athleticism translates into a legitimate A 10 player rather than a one-trick pony. Having written that, I have not been this excited about an incoming group of Duquesne recruits since Moses was a kid (at least on paper) Season tickets are re-ordered, my Dukes baseball cap and collection of Duquesne shirts are out and ready, so bring 'em on

During our long stay in the nether regions of the basketball world, there were 2 other classes that really got us excited, Mike Rice's first class, and Ron's first class. This is the third, (combining the freshmen, and transfers together).

5/03/2018 1:46 pm  #33

Signed

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/050318aae.html

Here is that dunk contest video apluski mentioned

Last edited by CLK (5/03/2018 1:53 pm)

5/03/2018 7:53 pm  #34

Really Impressive! Thanks for posting the video.

5/03/2018 8:31 pm  #35

247 Sports has us ranked 104 overall and 7th in A10 but they only have 4 of our recruits listed.

Last edited by WashPaRick (5/03/2018 8:34 pm)

5/03/2018 9:43 pm  #36

WashPaRick wrote:

247 Sports has us ranked 104 overall and 7th in A10 but they only have 4 of our recruits listed.

That 247Sports site is the gold standard of nothingness. Look at the Duquesne page:  https://247sports.com/college/duquesne
Great coverage if you are Interested in the 2010-11 season recap.

Board footera