Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2013 2:08 pm  #1

Abele & Martin to transfer

4/04/2013 2:16 pm  #2

Re: Abele & Martin to transfer

Obviously, if you're a big man over 6'-8" , Duquesne is not the school for you.

4/04/2013 2:56 pm  #3

It seems like both will go the D2 route.  I wish them the best.

By the way the list is not complete..does not show Micah Mason or PJ.

Last edited by CLK (4/04/2013 3:02 pm)

4/04/2013 3:00 pm  #4

I counted 11 players over 6'8" on the list.  I don't see Micah Mason on the list?  Anyway, I'm surpised about Abele.  I thought Coach Rhodes had made some progress with him.

4/04/2013 4:20 pm  #5

DUMgr wrote:

I counted 11 players over 6'8" on the list.  I don't see Micah Mason on the list?  Anyway, I'm surpised about Abele.  I thought Coach Rhodes had made some progress with him.

I am surprised by Abele as well since he will be a senior.  Do we bring in a 5th year transfer to even the classes? 

This guy is a Junior but is able to play right away.  Might give us a boost inside.  There are some interesting names on the list. 

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1715558/josh-davis

Last edited by CLK (4/04/2013 4:40 pm)

4/04/2013 8:03 pm  #6

I expected Martin, Datt, and Pantophlet.

Abele is a big surprise. He played well against other big bulky centers. Would have been a great enforcer off the bench. Now I wonder if Jerry Jones would also leave.

4/04/2013 8:05 pm  #7

Matthew Steinbrink‏@MattSteinbrink2hJust spoke to Jon Severe. Outside of announcing on May 22nd, he knows of no other plans at this time. All schools are even

Does not seem to be a hint from Severe as to which way he is leaning.  So here is the question.  Unless we have another transfer we only have one more ship left.  If you are coach Ferry do you wait for a decision on Severe?  A lot of major competition, but if DU can land him he can lead us to the promise land.  If we wait and don't get him we can either bank the scholarship, get a 1-year eligible if available, or get a summer surprise.  Hard spot for the coaches.

4/05/2013 2:15 am  #8

Why are many of those transfering players listed as :can play immediately? When we have Manson (not  listed) but one would think transfering for a real medical problem being a question mark for next year?

4/05/2013 5:48 am  #9

apluski wrote:

Why are many of those transfering players listed as :can play immediately? When we have Manson (not  listed) but one would think transfering for a real medical problem being a question mark for next year?

As I understand the rule, the NCAA permits permits players who have earned enough credits to graduate and still have remaining eligibility (players get 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility) they can transfer to another school for graduate programs without sitting out a year.  There may be more to this rule I am not sure.  There are other exceptions including hardship exceptions that allow players to transfer without sitting a year.  A couple of years ago a guy (he was from Pittsburgh but forget his name) applied for and was granted an exception to transfer from New Mexico because he wanted to be closer to his daughter.  He went to Seaton Hall.  Go figure.  I am not certain but I think if Mason wanted to apply for a hardship exception he would certainly make a better case than the one above.

4/05/2013 7:32 am  #10

LaurenB wrote:

Obviously, if you're a big man over 6'-8" , Duquesne is not the school for you.

I believe your statement should be amended to read "a big man over 6'-8" with limited ability"

4/05/2013 7:34 am  #11

Mason doesn't qualify for a med hardship. Apparently his condition is alleviated with a proper diet.

4/05/2013 9:07 am  #12

apluski wrote:

Charles?

4/05/2013 9:17 am  #13

CLK, I can't honestly believe that Datt and Pantophlet will be back. They're going to be juniors, they're going to be pinned to the bench. Then what? Transfer out next year with the clock winding down to zero? I suspect they're gone. With Abele, I think there is plenty of roster room for Severe, a PG, and a project space-eating center. I hope Jerry stays so that we can have a solid two-player recruiting class next year, which along with Micah Mason gives us a nice shot in the arm for 2014-15.

4/05/2013 9:18 am  #14

It's interesting that 450 players transferred last year and he expects the same this year.

4/05/2013 9:34 am  #15

"A couple of years ago a guy (he was from Pittsburgh but forget his name) applied for and was granted an exception to transfer from New Mexico because he wanted to be closer to his daughter.  He went to Seaton Hall.  Go figure.  I am not certain but I think if Mason wanted to apply for a hardship exception he would certainly make a better case than the one above."

CLK  - The transfer's name is Herb Pope just in case anybody wants to look into more details about his case.

Last edited by Westender (4/05/2013 9:35 am)

4/05/2013 9:41 am  #16

Guys, I'm wondering if Micah actually would like the time to bounce back physically and get life back in order. I'm sure last year was not easy for him. Even if we don't have him next year, we'll get three years from him and I suspect he will end up being a very good player for us.

4/05/2013 11:12 am  #17

It may be beneficial for Micah to sit a year. I am happy to have him in years 3,4, and 5 of Ferry's tenure. This is when things should start to get interesting. Sorry but I can't leave the Panto thing alone. I believe he has more upside than he has shown so far. We will see.

4/05/2013 11:29 am  #18

president I'm not sure of what Pantophlet's upside is, or whether Ferry sees it. As I said once before, I thought he could be the next Billy Clark. He's a strong kid with good range on his shot. He's definitely not a post player, even though Ferry used him there. So I don't know if or where he its in. I am not knocking him or any of the players who are leaving. I'm sorry to see Abele and Martin go, and I'll be sorry if Pantophlet or Datt or Jerry Jones leave. But I'll understand that they don't fit Ferry's system and wish them well.

4/05/2013 11:39 am  #19

ElDuque wrote:

apluski wrote:

Charles?

Great minds think alike. We did play a sort of helter skelter style of ball under RE.

4/05/2013 1:07 pm  #20

Panto definitely not a post player but could be dangerous from 3 pt range. I thought he did a good defensive and rebounding job this year also.

Board footera