Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2013 11:19 am  #1

Travaughn White Commits to Duquesne

Alex Kline‏@TheRecruitScoop6mDuquesne dips into the JUCO ranks once again as guard Tra'Vaughn White has committed to the A-10 program, a source says

Brad Winton‏@JucoRecruiting6mTra'Vaughn White (2013/Point Guard) of Independence CC has committed to Duquesne. Nice addition for them. Averaged 25ppg this season

Last edited by CLK (4/05/2013 11:26 am)

4/05/2013 11:30 am  #2

Re: Travaughn White Commits to Duquesne

4/05/2013 11:38 am  #3

If he adjusts to this level of basketball quickly enough, he looks like he could be an exciting player. If all of these guys who have committed indeed sign in a couple of weeks, this is one of the deepest recruiting classes we've had in a while.

4/05/2013 11:44 am  #4

CLK wrote:

Here are his JUCO stats

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2012-13/div1/players/travaughnwhite5ua1

Recent article

http://www.kckpreps.com/2012/02/where-are-they-now-former-washington.html

Clk, the article is February of 2012. He was averaging 13, I was thinking he went on a heck of a run to get his average up to 26. Looks like a good get for Ferry.

4/05/2013 11:51 am  #5

Thanks Rick.  I did not realize this but he lead the JUCO ranks in scoring

Nick Sloan‏@NJSloanKCK7 MarTra'Vaughn White led the entire National Junior College AA in scoring this season. He also won a few awards as well. FREAKING STUD.

Correct article:

http://www.kcbluedogs.com/2013/03/former-blue-dog-travaughn-white-wins.html

He averaged 25.9 points a game in the 2012-13 season. He's also improved his rebounding since graduating from Washington High School - averaging 5.5 rebounds a game.

He shot 53.6 percent from the field this season.

Last edited by CLK (4/05/2013 11:54 am)

4/05/2013 12:11 pm  #6

On paper, when was the last time we landed a class this good? 1978, with Atkins, Arnold, Bill Clark, and Rod Scott? The ill fated class of 1970, with Lionel, Searcy, Kinsey, and Oscar Jackson,?

4/05/2013 1:30 pm  #7

So, who are the players that make up this class? I see Watkins listed on Scout's database. Watkins and White are listed on the Rivals base. I know we have Jordan Robinson and Desmond Ridenour. Is there another player coming in this year?

Last edited by xlopjoe (4/05/2013 1:36 pm)

4/05/2013 1:32 pm  #8

Oscar came the year after Train, etc.

4/05/2013 2:27 pm  #9

xlopjoe wrote:

So, who are the players that make up this class? I see Watkins listed on Scout's database. Watkins and White are listed on the Rivals base. I know we have Jordan Robinson and Desmond Ridenour. Is there another player coming in this year?

You have all four that are either signed (Watkins) or committed Robinson, Ridenour, and now White.   I would expect at least one more and possibly save the other remaining scholarships for next year.

Last edited by levon1975 (4/05/2013 2:27 pm)

4/05/2013 2:31 pm  #10

duq81 wrote:

On paper, when was the last time we landed a class this good? 1978, with Atkins, Arnold, Bill Clark, and Rod Scott? The ill fated class of 1970, with Lionel, Searcy, Kinsey, and Oscar Jackson,?

Dan Slater from Monaca was in the class with Train.  Slater was a talented player who suffered a bad ankle injury, and never fully recovered.  WIth the progress we've made in medicine he might have had a chance to make a full recovery today.

4/05/2013 2:51 pm  #11

CLK wrote:

Here are his JUCO stats

That's a great stat line. At 497.8 points per 40 minutes (1242.4 in conference play), we might need to limit his game time to around 35 minutes in order to let the nets cool down.

4/05/2013 3:10 pm  #12

Who was that guard that didn't want to be at Duuqesne anymore and transferred to Arizona?  If he had stayed he would just now have been over-recruited.  I think that Trvaughn and Coulter will be a great pair of guards, certainly A-10 quality.

4/05/2013 4:59 pm  #14

duq81 wrote:

This one is pretty good. Who else did Pipkins come in with. I'd imagine a highly regarded local player like he was generated some buzz.

2008 on paper looked great.  Evans, Melquan,Robinson and Mike Williams looked very good on paper and  Peggau, BJ and Milovic seemed ok. Of course Lewinson and Patterson looked awful. 

4/05/2013 5:12 pm  #15

I never got the hype on the board about Evans. The fact that no Big 10 schools were after him spoke volumes to me.  Robinson wasn't that highly regarded. We have two 3 star guys in this class. When did that ever happen? No one of note came in with Pipkins.

4/05/2013 5:43 pm  #16

duq81 wrote:

I never got the hype on the board about Evans. The fact that no Big 10 schools were after him spoke volumes to me.  Robinson wasn't that highly regarded. We have two 3 star guys in this class. When did that ever happen? No one of note came in with Pipkins.

IIRC, Robinson was runner up for Alabama's Mr Basketball. Evans and Bolding were rivals three star prospects.

4/05/2013 5:44 pm  #17

Great comments from his current coach: " He's an explosive player who's hard to stop coach Tony Turner said. He can get to the rim. And it doesn't matter who's there, he can get right over the top of anybody.

4/05/2013 6:32 pm  #18

Seems like Ferry is doing this without relying on a pipeline or hiring assistant coaches from the HS ranks.  Tells me his message is solid and convincing.

4/05/2013 6:37 pm  #19

4/05/2013 7:48 pm  #20

steve19981 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

IIRC, Robinson was runner up for Alabama's Mr Basketball. Evans and Bolding were rivals three star prospects.

Bolding was indeed a big time get. Too bad what happened with him. If Robinson was runner up for Alabama's Mr. Basketball, it must have been a very weak year. Of course, we never really got to see him play, as RE kept him buried at the deep end of the bench.

4/05/2013 8:58 pm  #21

levon1975 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Dan Slater from Monaca was in the class with Train.  Slater was a talented player who suffered a bad ankle injury, and never fully recovered.  WIth the progress we've made in medicine he might have had a chance to make a full recovery today.

The Big Train was actually considered the third best of those recruits after Searcy and Kinsey. Does anyone remember Donny White, who was also in that class? He left DU for Maryland after a dust up with a Dukes walk-on. He was a big prospect, but disappeared at Maryland.

4/05/2013 9:31 pm  #22

applecorps wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

The Big Train was actually considered the third best of those recruits after Searcy and Kinsey. Does anyone remember Donny White, who was also in that class? He left DU for Maryland after a dust up with a Dukes walk-on. He was a big prospect, but disappeared at Maryland.

I see Donnie almost every day.

4/06/2013 6:23 am  #23

Despite Duquesne's lack of success with JUCO players (Remember Ernie Cooper??   Remember MO DRINKS (OR UN-REMEMBER HIM)  Myles Powers??)  Akthouhg those were players from a Bygone Era - Our JUCO record is somewhat disappointing. 

Looks like Travaughn might be a POSITIVE get for us --   How many players that size AVERAGE OVER 5 REBOUNDS A GAME???   It seemed like we got maybe 20% of the loose ball/long rebounds this year -  maybe Trevaughn is a little like Wayne Gretzky -  who said 'I GO TO WHERE THE PUCK IS GOING TO GO -  NOT WHERE IT'S ALREADY BEEN" 

Wrlcome on Board Trevaughn!!

4/06/2013 6:29 am  #24

SkepticAl wrote:

Despite Duquesne's lack of success with JUCO players (Remember Ernie Cooper??   Remember MO DRINKS (OR UN-REMEMBER HIM)  Myles Powers??)  Akthouhg those were players from a Bygone Era - Our JUCO record is somewhat disappointing. 

Looks like Travaughn might be a POSITIVE get for us --   How many players that size AVERAGE OVER 5 REBOUNDS A GAME???   It seemed like we got maybe 20% of the loose ball/long rebounds this year -  maybe Trevaughn is a little like Wayne Gretzky -  who said 'I GO TO WHERE THE PUCK IS GOING TO GO -  NOT WHERE IT'S ALREADY BEEN" 

Wrlcome on Board Trevaughn!!

We have indeed struck out on most JC players. However, James Hargrove, and Elijah Palmer were exceptions who turned out to be very good. Let's hope TraVaughn is another.

4/06/2013 8:25 am  #25

We have had some success with JUCOs (add Billy Searles and Rocky White to the list)  Those were two local kids from CCAC so we had a better idea of what we were getting.  Barnett Harris was another JUCO who had a solid career at the Bluff -  still on the whole I think the minus players have exceeded the plus players.

Even though there was nowhere near as much size back then -  still seeing Billy Searles at 6'6 maybe 190 as our CENTER is another indication of how the game has changed.

As for Maurice Drinks -- Younger members probably never heard of him (same for some of our "middle aged" fans) -  Mo was a 6'10 JUCO who selected Duquesne over UNLV (and this was when Tark had some terrific teams which were almost exclusively JUCOs) but never played a game here -  left school due to some "personal" problems -  never heard from again. (didn't play for any major school etc.

Board footera