Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2018 10:52 am  #1

NCAA replaces RPI effective this season

http://kwese.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24445390/ncaa-announces-new-ranking-system-rpi

The NCAA has begun its own ranking system called NET (NCAA Evaluation Tool)

"NET will take into account game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin (maximum of 10), offensive and defensive efficiency and the quality of wins and losses."

"The system won't give more weight to games late in the season, instead omitting game date and order from the data"

They will still use the 4 quadrants to determine quality wins and losses

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

8/22/2018 12:04 pm  #2

Re: NCAA replaces RPI effective this season

So much for those conferences that were trying to “game” the system by having flex schedules at the end of their conference slate.

8/22/2018 2:14 pm  #3

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

So much for those conferences that were trying to “game” the system by having flex schedules at the end of their conference slate.

Those conferences should still benefit from NET. I like these changes, a lot, but I'm not sure I like them immediately being implemented. Schools built their schedules with RPI in mind.

8/24/2018 9:33 am  #4

steve19981 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Those conferences should still benefit from NET. I like these changes, a lot, but I'm not sure I like them immediately being implemented. Schools built their schedules with RPI in mind.

Actually...schools like Valparaiso have been gaming  the RPI system for years by loading their home OOC schedule with D2 and NAIA teams.  Those teams don't count for RPI purposes.  If you can't get good teams...better to play D2 teams in the old RPI calculation.  Not sure if that is addressed in the new formula but I hope it is.

8/24/2018 10:57 am  #5

Dsnyder15 wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Actually...schools like Valparaiso have been gaming  the RPI system for years by loading their home OOC schedule with D2 and NAIA teams.  Those teams don't count for RPI purposes.  If you can't get good teams...better to play D2 teams in the old RPI calculation.  Not sure if that is addressed in the new formula but I hope it is.

Playing D2 and NAIA teams isn't really gaming the system, because those are basically exhibition games, and don't count towards your record. It's basically like those games weren't played. What it does do is actually reduce the true number of games on your ooc schedule. By playing those games instead of the D1 dregs that would actually go to Valpo without a return game, you reduce the damage to your ooc schedule. Is there a limit to the number of non D1 games a team can play?

Board footera