Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2013 9:17 am  #1

Suzie to Pitt

Ron Musselman‏@ronmusselman81mGood move for Suzie. RT @theduke_sports: Coach McConnell-Serio is leaving Duquesne to take the head coaching job at Pitt

MSA Sports‏@MSASports3mMultiple reports that #Pitt will hire #Duquesne's Suzie McConnell-Serio as next Women's basketball coach

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/3829749-74/mcconnell-serio-coach#axzz2QGPWMrhP

Last edited by CLK (4/12/2013 10:34 am)

4/12/2013 9:46 am  #2

Re: Suzie to Pitt

Not a surprise.

4/12/2013 9:53 am  #3

CLK wrote:

Ron Musselman‏@ronmusselman81mGood move for Suzie. RT @theduke_sports: Coach McConnell-Serio is leaving Duquesne to take the head coaching job at Pitt

MSA Sports‏@MSASports3mMultiple reports that #Pitt will hire #Duquesne's Suzie McConnell-Serio as next Women's basketball coach

The ACC is really a step up, wish her good luck.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/12/2013 10:14 am  #4

I sure get tired of being a 3rd class school.  We finally get an excellent coach and lose her.  This really bothers me - I understand - but it really bothers me.  We just can't compete.  Between her and her nephew, both programs got nailed.  We will Never get another Girl's Coach as good as her.  We only got her in the first place because she was from Pittsburgh.  I think we should now hire Agnes!!!!!

Last edited by FAM (4/12/2013 10:21 am)

4/12/2013 10:37 am  #5

Bad luck to you, Susie!

Nothing personal, if you were headed to Penn State or Vanderbilt or Tennessee or Arizona or even WVU I'd say good luck, but since it's Pitt I wish you the worst.

I hope Darcie Vincent will agree to take your place.

4/12/2013 11:19 am  #6

Dan Burt recruited most of our team and has a nice pipeline. There are other very good players set to come here because of him. Duquesne better think long and hard before they let him go.

4/12/2013 11:27 am  #7

I knew this was happening last night and I should have posted it.  I saw that last night at around ten SMS started had EJ Borghetti, Pitt's SID following here on twitter and then a bunch of other Pitt people shortly their after.

Sorry, but this is a punch in the stomach to lose her to Pitt.  I am done with the McConnell family at Duquesne for a while.   Just the way I feel.  Petty as it is.

Last edited by duqkurt (4/12/2013 11:42 am)

4/12/2013 11:30 am  #8

I really hope that Dan Burt gets the position also.

4/12/2013 11:41 am  #9

Congrats to Dejan K of the Trib, as always on having his pulse on all things DU related.  

Now all the Pittsburgh media is following SMS on twitter.  Jim Colony, the Fan morning show......I can't wait to see her crocodile tears when leaving.  

Noose further tightening around Amodio neck.    Still can't get a team into the NCAA tournament and now the only realistic shot they had took a significant hit.

Last edited by duqkurt (4/12/2013 12:06 pm)

4/12/2013 11:46 am  #10

We're getting obliterated on Twitter over this. My guess is that the beatings will continue tomorrow in the newspapers.

One issue for me, as far as the court of public opinion, is that Duquesne is being pounded for something we can't control. Pitt has virtually unlimited resources, and can tell Suzie to name her price. Duquesne has a budget. We'll always be second fiddle to Pitt, although Robert Morris makes a compelling case for being #2 in this town.

I don't know if Dan Burt is the right person. He has no head coaching experience. He may just be a recruiter. I don't know, so maybe I should have put it in the form of a question. Darcie Vincent is a DU grad and clearly has been a great coach. She may be the right choice.

As for Suzie, thanks! Maybe at Pitt, with all of that money, you'll be able to win against ranked teams.

Last edited by ElDuque (4/12/2013 11:46 am)

4/12/2013 11:54 am  #11

ElDuque wrote:

As for Suzie, thanks! Maybe at Pitt, with all of that money, you'll be able to win against ranked teams.

Or win a game against a non ranked team to get your team into the NCAA tournament.  She was 0-3 in that regard.

And we are getting obilerated in Twitter.   Sorry, but I don't have any of the "Thanks" and "Wish you well"  sentiment here.   She is effectively putting the ax in Duquesne's women basketball for the future.   We will lose the any attention in the local media and any hope of local quality players.  

She could have stayed, gotten DU into the tournament, have her kids graduate high school, and had her pick of any position she wanted.   She left and it feels like a knife in the back for this DU fan. 

4/12/2013 11:59 am  #12

C'mon. TJ's knife was much sharper.

4/12/2013 12:04 pm  #13

We are getting used to the McConnell family knife in the back.   That is for sure. 

4/12/2013 12:06 pm  #14

ElDuque wrote:

C'mon. TJ's knife was much sharper.

Over the last week with all the sh#t that's hit the fan the definition of Loyalty clearly does not apply at Duquesne University!  Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!

4/12/2013 12:07 pm  #15

Steve Miller Band has a song with this...."go on, take the money and run".

Hey, pitt couldnt beat her, so they bought her.

4/12/2013 12:10 pm  #16

I really wish I would have broken this story last night.  I saw the EJ Broghetti was following her and I thought, "I bet she is leaving" since he is her newest follower.    

4/12/2013 12:12 pm  #17

if you did, so what?  Am i missing something?  Would she have stayed?  

4/12/2013 12:20 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

if you did, so what?  Am i missing something?  Would she have stayed?  

I would have had the story first.   LOL.  She wouldnt have stayed but I would have beaten the local press. 

4/12/2013 12:22 pm  #19

Pitt raids Duquesne
Nice Headlines on Line

4/12/2013 1:00 pm  #20

And, if Vincent doesn't want to come then where do you go?  Why is everyone presuming she'll leave?  Often in women's hoops it takes more than it does in men's for a coach to uproot their family for another job...

Burt is certainly more a recruiter than anything else, but he's very knowledgeable and I would venture would be at least average with Xs and Os from what I've seen of him in the huddles.  He was a tremendous get for SMS.  Whether he will follow SMS to Pitt or not is another item of debate.

4/12/2013 1:14 pm  #21

I'm sure the money was too much for her to pass up.  Any of us that work for a living, would take a large bump in pay to move to a competitor. 
Granted it was nice to have a celebrity coach, but it didn't help us beat Dayton, or St. Joe in order to make the NCAA tourney.  It would have been nice if she could have made the tourney one time before jumping ship, but timing is everything, and where else could she go without uprooting her family?  I think the TJ transfer made it a little uncomfortable for her at Duquesne, so it was just a matter of time.  As others have said, I would wish her well had she gone to any other school; but not Pitt.

In terms of building the program; she deserves a lot of credit, Duquesne has somewhat of a respected name in women's basketball thanks to Suzie, her assistants and her players.  In terms of performance; especially this year, the defense was outstanding, but I found the offense to be disorganized and showing little or no improvement throughout the season.  When I saw St Joe's play Duquesne I walked away saying that St Joe's was a much better coached offensive team, with certainly more offensive weapons than Duquesne.  Suzie's teams fell short in some critical areas in my opinion:  
1. Offensive execution,
2. Offensive weapons,
3. Size: they were usually much smaller on the front line than opponents,
4. Depth: The teams rarely had enough quality depth to deal with injuries or foul problems to front line players,
5. Recruiting: some may scoff at this; but I don't think Suzie maximized her fame and cashed in with enough top flight recruits.  Did she work hard enough at recruiting?  I don't know the answer; but something was lacking.

My point is, that you don't need a celebrity coach; just a quality coach.  I doubt that many of us could name the coach at St, Joe's but she does and excellent job.

Last edited by levon1975 (4/12/2013 1:18 pm)

4/12/2013 1:25 pm  #22

levon1975 wrote:

I'm sure the money was too much for her to pass up.  Any of us that work for a living, would take a large bump in pay to move to a competitor. 
Granted it was nice to have a celebrity coach, but it didn't help us beat Dayton, or St. Joe in order to make the NCAA tourney.  It would have been nice if she could have made the tourney one time before jumping ship, but timing is everything, and where else could she go without uprooting her family?  I think the TJ transfer made it a little uncomfortable for her at Duquesne, so it was just a matter of time.  As others have said, I would wish her well had she gone to any other school; but not Pitt.

In terms of building the program; she deserves a lot of credit, Duquesne has somewhat of a respected name in women's basketball thanks to Suzie, her assistants and her players.  In terms of performance; especially this year, the defense was outstanding, but I found the offense to be disorganized and showing little or no improvement throughout the season.  When I saw St Joe's play Duquesne I walked away saying that St Joe's was a much better coached offensive team, with certainly more offensive weapons than Duquesne.  Suzie's teams fell short in some critical areas in my opinion:  
1. Offensive execution,
2. Offensive weapons,
3. Size: they were usually much smaller on the front line than opponents,
4. Depth: The teams rarely had enough quality depth to deal with injuries or foul problems to front line players,
5. Recruiting: some may scoff at this; but I don't think Suzie maximized her fame and cashed in with enough top flight recruits.  Did she work hard enough at recruiting?  I don't know the answer; but something was lacking.

My point is, that you don't need a celebrity coach; just a quality coach.  I doubt that many of us could name the coach at St, Joe's but she does and excellent job.

Levon, your points are all excellent.    Especially point #5. 

Last edited by duqkurt (4/12/2013 1:30 pm)

4/12/2013 2:15 pm  #23

So what happens now?   Does the whole recuiting class get released because she left?    I am not used to someone leaving DU on terms like these.

4/13/2013 6:06 pm  #24

she never had any real ties to DU, there was nothing that would have kept her here, DU cant pay the same rate as an ACC school.  

I think she sold herself short foing to pitt.  she could have stayed 2 more years at DU, got to a NCAA, and then picked where she wanted to go.  

What about that Vincent girl?  You think our clown AD will even consider her?

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=1549349

Last edited by townsonkid (4/13/2013 6:07 pm)

4/13/2013 8:05 pm  #25

townsonkid wrote:

she never had any real ties to DU, there was nothing that would have kept her here, DU cant pay the same rate as an ACC school.  

I think she sold herself short foing to pitt.  she could have stayed 2 more years at DU, got to a NCAA, and then picked where she wanted to go.  

What about that Vincent girl?  You think our clown AD will even consider her?

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=1549349

I don't think Suzie had any desire to leave Pittsburgh at this point. She's getting some years on her, and I'm sure her husband is tired of moving around, as well as her kids.

As for Darcie Vincent, by all indications, it may be a case of her not wanting to coach in a big city. Apparently, she's a country girl at heart, and would prefer to be in a small town.

Board footera