Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2013 7:31 am  #26

Re: Winters Transferring...

This transfer definitely upsets me.  Q was our best player as far as our freshmen were concerned (debatable with J. Jones and Colter) although I must admit to hating how he chucked up threes like he was Reggie Miller.  Most of the time he didn't even look at the basket.  Still, if Ferry is going to build a winning program, he HAS to have stability.  We can't have constant turnover and we are already off to a bad start.  I'm happy about our recruiting class thus far, but I was hoping they would be added to our current class.  I just can't imagine there being many talented players to replace Q, and we have a snowballs chance in hell of landing Severe.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

4/16/2013 8:17 am  #27

ElDuque wrote:

Winters was the best player Ferry recruited last year. Period. Had the potential to become a big-time scorer, without needing to take 20 shots a game. Of course, with Colter running the point, no one but Colter is ever going to take 20 shots a game.

Didn't see anything last year to tell me Ferry could coach this team on the court. With wholesale change about to come on an annual basis, I have some serious questions about recruiting and stability.

I don't agree with your evaluation and I think Colter was better at both ends of the floor. I also want to point out that Colter averaged 12 shots a game and over 5 assists. He shot the ball more than 17 times in 3 games and never more than 19 times.  To pigeon hole him as a ball hog is pretty unfair.

Q didn't  seem to adjust to the speed of the college game last year leading to some errant passes especially on the inbounds plays. He really struggle on defense when he was meant to guard another wing though he did considerably better when he was playing the post. That being said, I think he could have gotten better with time and become a fringe all league or all league player.

This is a big blow, but he is replaceable. Ferry got Winters after taking the job on the 10th of April. No reason he can't find his replacement in a similar time frame.

Last edited by steve19981 (4/16/2013 9:50 am)

4/16/2013 8:21 am  #28

DU hoops is a like a whore house, come in for a quickie, leave and dont look back.

Last edited by townsonkid (4/16/2013 8:39 am)

4/16/2013 8:33 am  #29

Game film of Levin (32 in white) against Hargrave. Do yourself a favor and just look away when #10 in white has the ball.

http://www.thebasketballdiary.com/2013/04/st-thomas-more-school-connecticut-vs.html

4/16/2013 11:30 am  #30

Losing Q is the worst of the turnover so far. It sounds like he truly wants to be near his family and that he wasn't given the boot here. Let's move on and get some more good kids. Levin would be a solid player, from what I've seen, to add to a fairly impressive group of recruits. I will reserve any judgement of Ferry & Co. and the mass exodus until such time as we know what we have on the court next season. It could and should be a higher caliber of player overall. A team that went 8-21 last year should not have too many keepers!

4/16/2013 11:37 am  #31

Just a case of a freshman feeling homesick. I don't see it as a slam against Duquesne at all.
I wish him well.

4/16/2013 12:23 pm  #32

I hated to see Q leave the program.  Every good team needs a guy like Q who can get you points in a hurry; and his ability to hit 3 or 4 "threes" in a row is tough to lose.  He also got good elevation on his shot and got it off quickly so it is hard to block.   I think some people thought this was a sign that he was taking bad shots; but they are only bad if you can't hit them.  No doubt he wasn't a complete player by any means, but he had time to work on his game to round it out.  I will miss seeing him develop into a more complete player and deliver those points in bunches.
Some of the posters on this board don't seem to understand that transfers are an epidemic in college sports.  It's not just a Duquesne issue.   Nearly 500 other basketball players across the country have already announced they will transfer and more will follow.  These guys just don't think of it as any big deal to transfer; even if it means sitting out a year.  It has to make coaching a difficult proposition, since you can't even look at a kid the wrong way, and he is transferring the next day.

4/16/2013 12:23 pm  #33

I too was sorry to see Q leave, but my at the end of the day my opinion aligns with PhilDog, Duq81, Applecorps and Steve.  Like Steve I also think Colter was the best of the freshman recruits and frankly I didn't even release Ferry was hired on the 10th, so I feel better about who we may still have in the pipeline.

4/16/2013 12:24 pm  #34

Yikes, bad spelling sentence structure, sorry boys!

4/16/2013 1:06 pm  #35

I had a feeling that Gabe Levin looked like a hot prospect, but his recruiting is going to the next level with Duke now interested.

http://hoopdreamsmag.com/?p=6821(New

4/16/2013 1:23 pm  #36

I really do not like the position our coaching staff is in right now.  They have missed out on three kids that they put a lot of energy into that could have been difference makers (Dayshon Smith to Dayton, Castro to Butler & Notice to SC).   I have little hope they will land Severe, and the prospect for kids that can truly make a difference are very slim.  With the loss of Winters, they now are late in the recruiting season with three, count them three, open scholarships trying to get in on kids they were not previously recruiting. We are now trying to recruit from a pool of dwindling prospects for kids who can contribute, and competeing against big schools looking for bench players.

Last edited by CLK (4/16/2013 1:26 pm)

4/16/2013 1:40 pm  #37

Levon said,"Some of the posters on this board don't seem to understand that transfers are an epidemic in college sports.  It's not just a Duquesne issue.   Nearly 500 other basketball players across the country have already announced they will transfer and more will follow.  These guys just don't think of it as any big deal to transfer; even if it means sitting out a year."

Wasn't it Ron Everhart who said, " that transfers are an epidemic in college sports."

Now I'm waiting for the GA apologists to point out that Everhart's tranfers were Ron's running off of his own players. Transfers are an unfortunate but commonplace thing in college sports today - regardless of the reason. It's just an accepted fact of life these days - unless of course you wanted to use that fact to fire a coach.

4/16/2013 1:57 pm  #38

Westender wrote:

Levon said,"Some of the posters on this board don't seem to understand that transfers are an epidemic in college sports.  It's not just a Duquesne issue.   Nearly 500 other basketball players across the country have already announced they will transfer and more will follow.  These guys just don't think of it as any big deal to transfer; even if it means sitting out a year."

Wasn't it Ron Everhart who said, " that transfers are an epidemic in college sports."

Now I'm waiting for the GA apologists to point out that Everhart's tranfers were Ron's running off of his own players. Transfers are an unfortunate but commonplace thing in college sports today - regardless of the reason. It's just an accepted fact of life these days - unless of course you wanted to use that fact to fire a coach.

Or Ron's transfer rate was much hire than most schools.

4/16/2013 2:01 pm  #39

Steve, were you one of the guys in Amodio's ear, or should I face, pushing him to dump Everhart?

4/16/2013 2:09 pm  #40

Westender wrote:

Steve, were you one of the guys in Amodio's ear, or should I face, pushing him to dump Everhart?

No. I've only ever contacted Amodio once and that was about a bus trip to VA Tech for the 2008 NIT.

4/16/2013 2:12 pm  #41

Anyone else leave yet?  Trainer?  Bus driver?  Ball boys?

4/16/2013 2:47 pm  #42

Five players leave in mass exodus from Duquesne basketball
April 16, 2013 2:59 pm
By Paul Zeise / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/duquesne/five-players-leave-in-mass-exodus-from-duquesne-basketball-683706/#ixzz2QepOtwtU

Last edited by CLK (4/16/2013 2:47 pm)

4/16/2013 2:53 pm  #43

We are taking a beating over the transfers on Twitter on the day before the start of the signing period.  Hope our 4 commits don'y have a change of heart.

4/16/2013 2:55 pm  #44

would be nice if Mason didnt have to sit out the year.  Seems like he is honestly transferring for health reasons.

4/16/2013 2:56 pm  #45

Westender wrote:

Good point my friend. As we see the door swings both ways.

4/16/2013 2:58 pm  #46

CLK wrote:

We are taking a beating over the transfers on Twitter on the day before the start of the signing period.  Hope our 4 commits don'y have a change of heart.

4 people saying something on twitter does not constitute a beating.

4/16/2013 3:09 pm  #47

steve19981 wrote:

CLK wrote:

4 people saying something on twitter does not constitute a beating.

Right, Steve.

Suck Meter‏@suckmeter1mSucks Duquesne University just doesn't put a fork in their men's basketball program. It's done.

Brennan McGovern‏@BrennanMcGovern1mDuquesne athletics are around to make Pitt athletics feel good about themselves.

Peter Lyle‏@le_petwaaah18m"@PittsburghPG: Five players leave in mass exodus from Duquesne bball http://bit.ly/11nOzC9 " fold the program! Turn palumbo into ice rink

Steven Wright‏@Steven_Wright_25mDuquesne's on its way to becoming worse than Fordham. 7 of 11 guys from last yr are leaving school, only 2 were Sr's.

Ron Musselman‏@ronmusselman832mStill, five players leaving at once seems like Duquesne has some issues with its basketball program

Paul Zeise‏@PaulZeise2hBonney, Winters, Abele and Martin are all transferring from #Duquesne men's basketball program and Pantophlat has quit hoops for soccer

4/16/2013 3:23 pm  #48

Only three of those were posted when you made that comment. Zeise isn't bashing either, just reporting. He goes on to say that Winters was the only player that mattered.

Last edited by steve19981 (4/16/2013 3:25 pm)

4/16/2013 3:45 pm  #49

Steve I am not going to waste my time arguing with you.  It's not bashing.

Doug Kremer‏@2_Kremez12m@FerkinAintEazy I heard the Duquesne coaches are going to CYO games to scout and recruit players

4/16/2013 3:59 pm  #50

steve19981 wrote:

Winters was the only player that mattered.

Bingo. The rest were guys who can't play at this level. When you go 8-22, that means you don't have enough talent. Most of them couldn't play at the NEC level, which Bobby Mo showed us. I guess we should have kept them all, so that the 8-22 seasons would keep coming.

Board footera