Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2013 12:32 pm  #76

Re: Winters Transferring...

I'm not happy with it, but I won't be concerned with the turnover until it becomes a pattern.

4/17/2013 12:45 pm  #77

I remember plenty of griping when Mitchell left. I remember plenty of griping every year.

4/17/2013 1:00 pm  #78

Every fan base gripes.  All of them.  They are fans.  Fans are nuts.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

4/17/2013 1:13 pm  #79

Duq81 you seem to get off on pounding RE.  Let it go for crying out loud!   I see no indignation from you regarding Ferry booting Binney a player he recruited, but I recall you early on going after Ron with a pitchfork like he was the devil when Melquan transferred. The truth is Ron is the only DU coach to have consecutive winning seasons in the last 35 years, and the only one since.  Talk to me after Ferry has a winning season.  This is not meant to be a cut on Ferry, because I hope he wins big next year, but at this point he has not proven to me that he is a better coach than Ron.  I am willing to let this Ron stuff go, but you seem to trash him at every opportunity.

Last edited by CLK (4/17/2013 1:19 pm)

4/17/2013 2:19 pm  #80

I don't want prolong this nonesense that persists regarding the relative merits of Everhart vs. Ferry; it is silly to continue; I'm sure both guys did what they thought could make the program a winner.  Ron had some succes and nearly pulled it off.  Let's hope Jim Ferry can make it work.
One observation that I haven't seen mentioned;  I did not hear of Ron Everhart being considered for any of the  HC  jobs despite the number of coaching changes this off-season.  I'm interested to know if anyone else heard his name in the mix for any of the Head Coaching openings?  Maybe he is happy at WVU and didn't pursue anything, but just curious.

Last edited by levon1975 (4/17/2013 2:20 pm)

4/17/2013 3:03 pm  #81

levon1975 wrote:

I don't want prolong this nonesense that persists regarding the relative merits of Everhart vs. Ferry; it is silly to continue; I'm sure both guys did what they thought could make the program a winner.  Ron had some succes and nearly pulled it off.  Let's hope Jim Ferry can make it work.
One observation that I haven't seen mentioned;  I did not hear of Ron Everhart being considered for any of the  HC  jobs despite the number of coaching changes this off-season.  I'm interested to know if anyone else heard his name in the mix for any of the Head Coaching openings?  Maybe he is happy at WVU and didn't pursue anything, but just curious.

The leaked memo ruined his career that's why.  Very sad as he deserved better from a program he pulled out of the mud to respectability.

4/17/2013 3:54 pm  #82

CLK wrote:

Duq81 you seem to get off on pounding RE.  Let it go for crying out loud!   I see no indignation from you regarding Ferry booting Binney a player he recruited, but I recall you early on going after Ron with a pitchfork like he was the devil when Melquan transferred. The truth is Ron is the only DU coach to have consecutive winning seasons in the last 35 years, and the only one since.  Talk to me after Ferry has a winning season.  This is not meant to be a cut on Ferry, because I hope he wins big next year, but at this point he has not proven to me that he is a better coach than Ron.  I am willing to let this Ron stuff go, but you seem to trash him at every opportunity.

I'm not pounding on RE, but I'm sick of you guys pounding on Ferry. Crying about where he lives and other such bs. The ones bashing Ferry are always bringing Ron up. If my defense of Ferry is construed as bashing Ron, so be it. Ferry is our coach now, and he gets nothing but hate on this board.

4/17/2013 4:15 pm  #83

I'm fed up with the losing. I'm going to pound on everyone and everything until it stops.

And I promise I won't play favorites.

4/17/2013 4:39 pm  #84

40 per cent of 4 year players transfer in D1, the guys that left who were left overs were not good, the two that Ferry brought in might not have been recruited if there had been more time  to fully vent their skills and temperament .

lets see what happens after 2013-2014 season.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/17/2013 6:49 pm  #85

ElDuque wrote:

I'm fed up with the losing. I'm going to pound on everyone and everything until it stops.

And I promise I won't play favorites.

Give em hell

4/17/2013 7:31 pm  #86

CLK, I think that DUQ81 was only responding to El Duq (who brought up the RE comparison - again) bringing up RE to compare w/Ferry and I'll just leave it at that.

4/17/2013 7:37 pm  #87

Duq81 I am with you on your perception and the simple truth is that there are a few posters who will not move past RE, but when they bring it up don't you dare say anything critical of RE, my goodness.

4/17/2013 7:38 pm  #88

Today should be a discussion about recruits that signed and others that may.

4/17/2013 7:49 pm  #89

Phil Dog said, "40 per cent of 4 year players transfer in D1, the guys that left who were left overs were not good, the two that Ferry brought in might not have been recruited if there had been more time  to fully vent their skills and temperament."

My thoughts also - due to when he was hired and who was left he did what he could.

Last edited by FAM (4/17/2013 7:50 pm)

4/17/2013 7:50 pm  #90

Try reading some of the other posts I placed today, Mr. BS.

I will not apologize for what I write, nor will I be told what to write. When I bring up issues that are specific to Amodio, you have a BS excuse. When I bring up issues that are specific to Ferry, you have a BS excuse. You never challenge any of these things head on, you simply pull out your BS talking points.

I'm fed up with the losing, and I'm fed up with the culture that tolerates the losing.

You keep trying to patronize me with "We all want the same thing." We're not going to get there with the same formula, and we're not going to get there with BS talking points.

4/17/2013 7:53 pm  #91

FAM wrote:

Phil Dog said, "40 per cent of 4 year players transfer in D1, the guys that left who were left overs were not good, the two that Ferry brought in might not have been recruited if there had been more time  to fully vent their skills and temperament."

My thoughts also - due to when he was hired and who was left he did what he could.

Winters was a high quality recruit. He averaged almost 10 points a game and didn't start until mid-year.

Losing him hurts the team. That's not a knock on Ferry or a lamentation on RE, for those of you who want to pull out the BS Talking Points.  Winters is a kid who could've hel[ed this team win and it's a shame to lose him.

4/17/2013 9:50 pm  #92

Whatever you say El Duq............

4/17/2013 9:52 pm  #93

Oh, I liked Winters too if you read my prior posts, but don't worry about that El D i've given factual arguments in the past on RE, GA etc. and most of my points were conveniently ignored, but go ahead blow another gasket as if you are the only one who is tired of losing.

4/17/2013 10:12 pm  #94

Pittsburghers always dismiss the players of any local sporting team who leave. Truth is Q was a nice player who will be missed.  And McConnell might get a ring. 

Last edited by Jeralta (4/17/2013 10:14 pm)

4/18/2013 8:25 am  #95

Jeralta wrote:

Pittsburghers always dismiss the players of any local sporting team who leave. Truth is Q was a nice player who will be missed.  And McConnell might get a ring. 

Maybe indigenous to this region or not. Probably human nature at work. Very sorry to see Q leave as he would have helped this team. No one's fault if his statement is factual and no reason to believe otherwise. There are still some players out there to be had. Hopefully Ferry and Co. will land at least one more good one.

4/18/2013 9:33 am  #96

president wrote:

Jeralta wrote:

Maybe indigenous to this region or not. Probably human nature at work. Very sorry to see Q leave as he would have helped this team. No one's fault if his statement is factual and no reason to believe otherwise. There are still some players out there to be had. Hopefully Ferry and Co. will land at least one more good one.

The late Marquette Coach Al McGuire once told a player who had regrets leaving for the NBA, " you will be missed but I am more concerned with those who are AT Marquette" Good Luck to Winters, better luck to all who are eligible or arriving to improve on that 8-22 stinker of a year.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/18/2013 10:38 am  #97

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I'm not pounding on RE, but I'm sick of you guys pounding on Ferry. Crying about where he lives and other such bs. The ones bashing Ferry are always bringing Ron up. If my defense of Ferry is construed as bashing Ron, so be it. Ferry is our coach now, and he gets nothing but hate on this board.

Duq who out of the RE supporters are bashing coach Ferry? Moving issue brought up over the Dunlap allegation. Fair for some concern maybe he realizes walking into a cluster f@@k? Career over in 6 hope not for Duquesne. Personally I don't want to engage coach Ferry because if I like him meet his wife & family I can't throw him under the bus via this board if he fails act like I'm his friend & place the dagger in his back. I'm sorry but I've seen many Fans play the judas card with RE who was a good man.No reason to be a Ferry hater just keep my distance good luck coach.

4/18/2013 12:09 pm  #98

I will support whomever coaches the men's  basketball team until they prove they can't do the job. The last such coach, IMO, was Danny Nee.

4/18/2013 12:13 pm  #99

MrBrightside wrote:

Oh, I liked Winters too if you read my prior posts, but don't worry about that El D i've given factual arguments in the past on RE, GA etc. and most of my points were conveniently ignored, but go ahead blow another gasket as if you are the only one who is tired of losing.

I don't ignore what you write or what anyone writes. Clearly we have some areas of disagreement, and clearly we have some "chicken and egg" ground when it comes to Ron Everhart.

4/18/2013 12:23 pm  #100

MrBrightside wrote:

Duq81 I am with you on your perception and the simple truth is that there are a few posters who will not move past RE, but when they bring it up don't you dare say anything critical of RE, my goodness.

Mr. BS, I'm going to give you my opinion on why there are some posters "who will not move past RE". First, while a case could be made, as it was in the leaked memo, that RE should be fired, he was liked and respected by fans, students, alumni, ex-players, the general public and the media, most of whom perceived him as having done enough for Duquesne basketball to be given a fair chance to save his job. And while most RE supporters realize that his performance and recruiting had fallen off, they feel he deserved better for what he had done here. Many of his supporters also knew that there was a personal component that was possibly the primary reason that led to his firing. Second, and maybe more of a factor for those who will not move past RE as you put it, is that many posters here who obviously supported RE's firing, touted Ferry as though he were the next coming of John Wooten who was going to take Duquesne to the next level - even though he came here with a .500 win- loss record. Granted he got his LIU team into the NCAA, but it took him 10 years to do it in a lesser conference. This has invited the RE/Ferry comparisons, so maybe the ongoing discussions on the subject can be blamed more on the GA, Ferry, let's fire Ron supporters. Maybe Ferry will indeed prove to be a better and more successful coach than Everhart, but there's no evidence of that yet, and there won't be any evidence for 2 or 3 years. Hence, when it is suggested that Ron was an inferior coach and/or that Ferry is clearly a better coach, then there will be some posters " who will not move past RE."

Last edited by Westender (4/18/2013 2:21 pm)

Board footera