Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2018 9:36 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - William & Mary Tribe

I watched the game and just overwhelmed ,what a great start for this inexperienced team.I thought it would be
turnover mistake game and the Dukes would lose.This kind of reminds me of 68-69 team and their first game
against LIU.We are alll in for a treat for the foreseeable future.I am savoring this win.

11/11/2018 10:32 am  #52

I was definitely counting this game as a loss because of their experience and them having a good team last year. Apparently the A 10 is not as strong as I thought by some of the early season struggles of many teams. Therefore, my predictions should be way off and the optimistic predictions of others should be more accurate. Never been so thrilled to be completely wrong.

11/11/2018 10:53 am  #53

Sophs. and freshmen accounted for all but the 5 points scored by mike Lewis,

11/11/2018 11:21 am  #54

WashPaRick wrote:

Well, that's going to be the case most nights as Mike is the only player not an underclassman (until football ends). All key players back next year, with the bulk of the team still being here for the 2020-21 season as well. Good times are here!

Last edited by duq81 (11/11/2018 11:25 am)

11/11/2018 11:40 am  #55

You know Eric Williams is a really good player when he starts having relatively quiet 17 point and 8 rebound performances. I am fully expecting mike Lewis to have a big bounce back game for us tomorrow night.

11/11/2018 11:50 am  #56

duq81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Well, that's going to be the case most nights as Mike is the only player not an underclassman (until football ends). All key players back next year, with the bulk of the team still being here for the 2020-21 season as well. Good times are here!

Love it my friend.

On another note, the video product is first class.  Light years better than past years.  The replay option in ESPN+ is really a nice feature.

On one more note, Mike Hughes is awesome.  I really like his intensity and hustle.  He was firing up the crowd.   

11/11/2018 11:51 am  #57

duq81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Love it my friend.

On another note, the video product is first class.  Light years better than past years.  The replay option in ESPN+ is really a nice feature.

On one more note, Mike Hughes is awesome.  I really like his intensity and hustle.  He was firing up the crowd.   

11/11/2018 12:11 pm  #58

The crowd was great for the first game. A few more people than usual, even with the penguins game going on. There was a lot more students than usual as well and they were fired up throughout the game chanting and actually providing somewhat of a hostile atmosphere, with that performance, I would hope they would return and bring additional friends. Still a long way to go but if you build it they will come.

Clk, totally agree on Mike Hughes, he is an absolute maniac. My seats are at the end of the Duquesne bench and I watched him pump up his teamouts and the crowd all game long from the bench and on the court.

Not to knock past players but one thing I’ve felt we’ve consistently lacked over the years is both verbal and emotional leaders as well as an identity for the team. You can already see guys like M Hughes, Weathers, and Dunn Martin are all vocal guys and did a lot to pump up the crowd and players.

Dambrot is clearly establishing an identity of toughness, intensity, and getting up and down the court quickly and scoring in bunches. It’s hard to believe this actually looks like what we’ve been hoping for is coming to fruition.

11/11/2018 12:23 pm  #59

duq81 wrote:

Good times are here!

That was the consensus among the long time supporters after the game.  The people that remember what the talent level was on The Bluff the last time we were nationally prominent. There are some kids that can play ball on this roster. 

11/11/2018 1:24 pm  #60

Long way to go this season, but what a start. Because we didn't see these players in an exhibition game, it seemed like Christmas morning to me - opened up a whole bunch of "presents" on the court and they were all really good presents.

In case you missed it, here's the link to the replay of the game on ESPN+ (well worth the $4.99 per month cost).
http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=1f04a502-cb37-40d6-af0e-d6a63963e255

11/11/2018 3:26 pm  #61

Rostrof is a player both underneath and stepping out for a three.  Carry is a true point guard we needed. 

Very impressive win against a good W&M Tribe!

We took in both games with a great beer tasting event with snacks from the Red Ring in the auxiliary gym... disappointed more weren't there.  Both tickets and the beer tasting all for $20!   fantastic day with 2 big wins!

Last edited by coffee (11/11/2018 3:28 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

11/11/2018 4:02 pm  #62

duq81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Perfect!
“..... we want the best.  we won’t settle for less...”

11/11/2018 4:15 pm  #63

coffee wrote:

Rostrof is a player both underneath and stepping out for a three.  Carry is a true point guard we needed. 

Very impressive win against a good W&M Tribe!

We took in both games with a great beer tasting event with snacks from the Red Ring in the auxiliary gym... disappointed more weren't there.  Both tickets and the beer tasting all for $20!   fantastic day with 2 big wins!

11/11/2018 4:18 pm  #64

I am curious Coffee how many people made both games and beer tasting? Going to follow up with Dave Harper and Meghan on this too

11/11/2018 4:28 pm  #65

Good thing all those MAC teams didn't have room for Carry on their squads.

11/11/2018 5:18 pm  #66

Didn't see hoops game WashPaRick but would love it if we have true point in Carry! I thought it hurt us on occasion last year and  maybe more important this year with more depth and  player combinations. As everyone knows the point has to know how to play... meaning recognize what each other players strength is on the floor and putting them in the position to succeed.

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (11/11/2018 5:42 pm)

11/11/2018 6:05 pm  #67

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Didn't see hoops game WashPaRick but would love it if we have true point in Carry! I thought it hurt us on occasion last year and  maybe more important this year with more depth and  player combinations. As everyone knows the point has to know how to play... meaning recognize what each other players strength is on the floor and putting them in the position to succeed.

Carey's passes come in quick... I heard that he was hitting guys in the head with passes before they got used to stay ready!

Only a couple dozen at the tasting... good sampling and glasses included.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

11/11/2018 6:12 pm  #68

I agree that this was a big win.
When WMU took the lead 40-38, I thought we were headed
for another 'same old Dukes'--a succession of bad passes, bad
shots, bad foul shooting and bad decisions.  But no, they regrouped
and beat a very competitive team. No drama at the end, just a solid win.
A great start.

11/11/2018 11:13 pm  #69

Econ69 wrote:

I agree that this was a big win.
When WMU took the lead 40-38, I thought we were headed
for another 'same old Dukes'--a succession of bad passes, bad
shots, bad foul shooting and bad decisions.  But no, they regrouped
and beat a very competitive team. No drama at the end, just a solid win.
A great start.

How many of use had the same thought when W&M took a small lead early in the second half, after cutting our double digit margin to 3 at the end of the first?  Here we go, another collapse.  Kind of reminded me of the Cornell game last year.

Great to see them refuse to lose and come out swinging.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/12/2018 12:13 am  #70

Tarin Smith had 22 points for UConn today.

11/12/2018 1:39 am  #71

And Isaiah Mike is averaging 6 and 5 in 2 games for SMU.

11/12/2018 10:05 am  #72

Anyone here know why G Bizeau didn't play?  Is he hurt?  Last I heard he was running with the starting 5 at small forward position.

11/12/2018 11:48 am  #73

DukeBaller53 wrote:

Anyone here know why G Bizeau didn't play?  Is he hurt?  Last I heard he was running with the starting 5 at small forward position.

Coach said he is not quite there yet.  He did however praise him, Lamar Norman, and Dylan Swingle.  It's actually tough to have 12 good players.  I could see Bizau being a big contributor in the future.  It's funny to me that Swingle seemed like the biggest get when he signed, yet he is the farthest back on the depth chart.  I think once Swingle slims down just a bit he will be quite the force too.  Lots of talent.  It's nice!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/12/2018 11:50 am  #74

DukeBaller53 wrote:

Same with Kelly, I thought KD was praising him for his D and said he was most ready of the freshmen bigs.  I dont think neither is hurt.  Kind of nice to get such a solid effort and not use 3/4 of the new bigs. 

Mike Hughes is an aggressive player who talks to his team during the breaks, takes blame, but also points out others mistakes.  Love that attitude and desire.  Couple him with a 6'11'' guy and DU should have a solid post presence for sure.

Excited to see what happens tonight.

11/12/2018 11:53 am  #75

Simms wrote:

DukeBaller53 wrote:

Coach said he is not quite there yet. He did however praise him, Lamar Norman, and Dylan Swingle. It's actually tough to have 12 good players. I could see Bizau being a big contributor in the future. It's funny to me that Swingle seemed like the biggest get when he signed, yet he is the farthest back on the depth chart. I think once Swingle slims down just a bit he will be quite the force too. Lots of talent. It's nice!

Any chance they redshirt Bizeau?  I thought he was the highest ranked player out of the freshman class?

Board footera